Blender 2.8 Has ruined my project

Hi, I just today switched to Blender 2.80. I opened up one of my projects, which has particles in them. Here’s what I see:

The huge distorted orange mesh should be an orange-particle particle system, but it’s not there. The particle system is gone. Adding one in doesn’t change anything either.

Also, the entire render is black. I’m pretty sure I didn’t (and don’t.) have any lights in this scene, however I’m pretty sure this Project worked without them.

I honestly don’t know how I feel about Blender 2.8, it’s very different. : /

I feel like I want to just switch back to 2.79, but I don’t want to just only use 2.79 forever.

If anyone has any suggestions on how I can make Blender 2.8 as close to Blender 2.79 as possible, without just reinstalling Blender 2.79, please, let me know.

Still, I don’t know how I feel about Blender 2.8. Maybe I’ll get used to it, maybe I wont. : /.

you have all my deepest solidarity.

2 Likes

Well, 2.80 breaks some downward compatibility so things like this are expected. Some scenes work but others dont.

1 Like

Can you share a .blend that demonstrates the issue?

Sorry for the lost, did you check if those missing stuffs are hidden?

see if u have a good copy in autosave … check this in blender 2.79

always make a copy of your project and name ur file as 2.8 then open. just to be safe. its really crazy sometimes.

2 Likes

What render engine you where using in 2.79 ?
With cycles it should work , but if you were using internal chances are that some things will be missing …
Try to share a .blend or at least a comprehensive screen capture of 2.79 version of your file and 2.8 one…

I’ve successfully converted most of my files to 2.8 , so this may be a corner case.

Did you try appending the various pieces, rather than opening the entire file all at once? Not sure how the particle system in 2.80 differs but I’d be willing to bet the two are not entirely compatible.

1 Like

Particles are not supposed to break between 2.79 and 2.80.

From your screencapture, we can not say if particle system is absent.
We are seeing an array modifier. A particle system is supposed to be below.
Current frame is frame 0. No emitter particle is supposed to be emitted at that frame.

So, if we don’t believe you ; just playing animation could make them show up.

We are believing that you have a problem. But to have a clue, we need to see what you saw in 2.79.
You did not precise if you were making hair or emitter particles.
You did not show particles tab.

Globally, particles are the same between 2.79 and 2.80.
If you lost your particle system, you should be able to recreate it.
UI of Particle System Tab has changed. But change almost only consists in presenting same settings in another way.
Particle Settings Tab is no more one of the last tabs. It is the Tab just after modifier’s tab.
Inside a panel, settings may be grouped under subpanels. 1 setting is exposed per line.
But panels of 2.80 tab have same names as panels of 2.79 tab (except Display panel that was renamed Viewport Display).
Settings are the same.
Just 2 name changes. Size setting under Render panel was renamed Scale.
Effector Group field was renamed Effector Collection under Field Weights panel.

A Twist Curve was added for settings of simple children.

And that’s all. There were more changes in the way to create particles between two 2.7x releases than between 2.79 and 2.80.

The only thing that could be disturbing is the way to render particles.
Blender Internal’s visualisations (halo, line, billboard) are not working with EEVEE.
Halo type can display dots in Viewport but only a Viewport render can exploits those dots.
Particle Instance modifier has evolved and has more settings in 2.80.

2 Likes

Rip ma boi

1 Like