Blender 2.8 is now fully usable with left-click object selection

What button is used for selection is whatever to me, i dont think one feels more natural than others, as i use several programs, and i have no trouble swiching between then. However, one thing i did find very difficult was togging between MMB and Alt-LMB for camera rotation across programs.

So thats the only change i made to the default navigation keys, using Alt+LMB for camera rotation instead of MMB

1 Like

Much of the old 2.7x way of doing things is still there if you really need it. 2.8 allows you to use right-click selection and also doesn’t force you to use the active tools workflow (in fact the default active tool is placing the 3D cursor which gives you 2.79 behavior).

Sure, left-click select was available in 2.79, but it reportedly introduced a number of usability problems that the work in 2.8 avoids (because this time, it’s being fully thought out in terms of avoiding key conflicts and the like).

1 Like

I’m not entirely sure what you’re getting at here, but I don’t think you’ve understood what the “Why Right” idea is about, it’s not really about defaults.

2 Likes

Maybe you should let people who used left click select beforespeak on this…The key conflicts were minor. These changes it seems have taken left click select and mingled them with the so called industrial standard key map.

2 Likes

The whole development of Blender 2.8 is aimed at the so-called Industry Standard. Clearly LMB has it as a goal in 2.8 (they never intended it to work as in 2.79). I have stopped being naive starting from this:

So if Ton likes money now and he thinks it will attract more attention with Industry Standard, then it’s fine that this is the chosen path, simply stop lying and try to make up the changes to simulate not being controversial with the old Blenders users of always, and adopt Industry Standard without mattering that it can be less productive sometimes. You are the bosses, just adopt the industry standard things and stop pretending otherwise.

3 Likes

I just introduced Blender to a lot of Cinema 4D users that are willing to migrate to Blender and they couldn’t be more happier with the UI and UX experience now. It’s easier to adapt an older workflow than learn a very different new one (in the case of the old Blender). The new UI and UX will bring much more users.

4 Likes

either way, left or right who cares as long as they work both well…we already seeing improvements…now you can box deselect in empty space which is awesome…next lasso deselect plz.
and btw u can now use the old way of select/deslect with just “A” :slight_smile:

8 Likes

I am not sure, it will. It would need a Press event for Shift Right.
That would conflict with Stencil Texture scaling in Paint/Sculpt modes.

Users of right click have also a simple Click left click available to place cursor.
Press left click is reserved to active tool for them, too.
That is not a huge problem for them to use cursor as default active tool.
LMB users will have to use active tool or shift s menu or remap stencil keymaps.

So? That is such an obscure and rarely used feature it doesn’t deserve Shift+RMB.

For example, in my custom keymap, stencil move, rotate and scale is assigned to same keys that do move, rotate and scale in the 3D viewport, because there are no transform tools in painting and sculpting modes. That makes it both consistent, and frees up RMB+modifier keys to more useful stuff.

2 Likes

I think it is awesome that new users have this option, I think it is a great way to avoid the lame excuses for not using the software and also help those that have issues compartmentalizing workflows for different softwares. I am glad that I learned right click (only took a few days to gain the basic muscle memory), I actually long for it in other softwares… but like I said, I think this will be a welcomed change for those who wanted it.

That’s the spirit.

Now it’s time to make the LMB select the default in blender.

2 Likes

Totally agree with your post.
There’s nothing so puzzling in a professional environment when they look at you riddled in why is the professional choice of us -as artist- to pick up Blender, if there´s not an actual “click here to do that” if the first thing they are going to do is to MOVE THE PIVOT point tool.

Please, developers, move the MOVE PIVOT tool to the last part of the stack of the toolbar. and make SELECTION TOOL THE DEFAULT SELECTED TOOL when opening Blender. Thanks! :slight_smile:

IT HARMS people coming for the first time and for old Blender users: IT IS STILL NOT THE FIRST thing they do when opening a Blender file. The first thing any software in the planet DOES (this is true even on WORD) is to SELECT things. That’s the first natural reaction to every 2D interface be it on phone or screen: To reach from the real world into the application environment and be able to INTER-ACT by selecting things.

With that being set, please DEVS: Restore the spacebar search function to activate tools in the menu like in 2.79. It´s so much faster to click on spacebar and invoke Modifiers on a full screen Blender. Please, space bar is also a medular thing in workflows in all 3D applications! It´s the BACKSPINE of everything the software can do. So, please restore it like in 2.79.

Leave F3 alone. Or restore it to work SHIFT+F3 to Shader editor. Much needed in 2.8 on how to jump to shader editor without doing click-clacks on the UI.

Thanks.

1 Like

Download the latest build.

3 Likes

OK. What keymaps are you using for Curve Stroke Method ?
That is more obscure.
But you are right. There are room for more mode specific overriding keymaps.

My point is, the cursor tool in not the default anymore, which is very sane.

3 Likes

You can find all of it here. I’ve made sure that everything works in every single editor without any conflicts at all :slight_smile:

1 Like

It’s so hilarious for me reading the RMB apologetics.

They always try to reason how separating the selection and action is so productive and such. And they all forget to address the elephant in the room: it’s not just that you select with RMB, but that the dominant button (LMB) moves the 3D cursor (actually 2.5D cursor it doesn’t even have rotation)! That’s the big issue.

In blender the most dominant action - Selection, is moved to the secondary button (RMB), while one of the least used actions (3D Cursor) is placed on the dominant LMB! That pretty much negates any argument and reasoning one can make for RMB Select.

:v:

5 Likes

Not to argue, just to explain my take: I use rmb for selection while painting and sculpting on multiple objects with lmb. Once I learned it, that was before it was even a possible change in the keymap back then. Enabling others to use lmb select is key to them being comfortable, but I have grown too accustomed to rmb select to switch now. If I could switch to rmb select in my other applications, I would do it.

2 Likes

That is not the least used action when you use 3D Cursor.
3D cursor location is the location of added objects, a potential pivot, a location to snap things, to center view and origin of some transform operations.
Blender evolved in a way that does not force you to use 3D cursor.
Location settings were added to primitives creation.
Operators to manipulate views increased.
And now, with 2.8, transform operators have gizmos to displace their origin.

That does not mean that people who were used to use 3D Cursor have abandoned it.
A user of RMB keymap use LMB clicks to place 3D Cursor and to confirm actions, as region definition for select tools (RMB is used to select one element or extend selection, but Ctrl LMB is used for lasso and LMB is a modal keymap for box selection called by B) and region definition of borders (zoom border, render border, clipping border). At the end of day a user of RMB keymap has done more LMB clicks than RMB ones.

I don’t care if you use LMB without 3D Cursor. I was just responding to Mr Flamey.
I don’t try to convince people to jump to RMB. I just would like that with LMB becoming by default they don’t forget that Right click user should be able to continue to use RMB.
I hope that we will not end-up with a majority of community pleading for 3D cursor removal.

In this doc, you moved Paint Curve keymaps under Image Editor section.
But there are the same under 3D View section in User Preferences.

You should have a conflict if you try to use a Stencil texture on a brush with a Curve method stroke.
You should not be able to move the curve, scale or rotate the curve.
If shortcuts are the same, something should take the priority.