Blender 2.8 is now fully usable with left-click object selection

Sorry. I’ll try to explain in details later if I can…
I thought people were familiar with it…

i think the only way to solve this is either with transform gizmos being added to the box select…etc but lose the possibility to tweak from empty space oradd a separate tweak tool/hotkey, but here what i did , i mapped G/R/S to the transforms gizmos which i can hide widgets with a hotkey, box select to ctrl+LMB, ctrl+ALt+LMB…etc , loop select-> to either double click or shift+alt for toggle, ctrl+double click for ring select /ctrl+shift for toggle…i don’t need extrude to curser on hotkey see i can call the tool bar and hit shift+2 if i ever needed…etc and i get the best of everything and works well on a tablet.

giz
here is gif to make it more ease to understand, and i tested it on both tablet and mouse/keyboard, here i am using a tablet, it’s fast and intuitive and you don’t end up making the object you started box selecting on active first…the hide gizmo is in Alt+Q so if in it’s the way i can toggle it… i think two things are needed is one make object/edit mode gizmos 3d view global (which i think it’s easy to do) so when you change in one mode it matches in the second and a quick way to change gizmo’s size.

Anyone else sometimes read the thread title with an invisible comma on it?

Blender 2.8 is now fully usable, with left-click object selection

And regarding placing the 3D Cursor with LMB:

MOST of the time, I place the 3D Cursor PRECISELY by snapping to selection. When I do click to place the 3D Cursor arbitrarily, I just want it to get out of my way. Placing the 3D Cursor by using the most important button (LMB) is just … just … strange.

3 Likes

Wait, i’ve been using left-click select for at least 7 years now, what’s different about this commit?

I don’t know, I haven’t tried 2.80 yet. Still waiting for the Beta.

click and drag elements does only work with right click select, on left click it goes into box select mode

It is possible, and has been for years. (It IS LMB down, not Release)
I’ve had selection on LMB click, if I drag it’s box select, and if I click in empty it’s deselect.
No python, all using just the input editor.
I’ve posted my setup here a bit earlier. Everything works as expected!

1 Like

Yeah, reading the links in the first post, it looks like they just tweaked the default keymap to work better with the left mouse button. What’s with the sensationalist thread?

So you found some way to have LMB-down select, but not conflict with box select in such a way that trying to box select on a busy screen results in first selecting something?

It doesn’t work properly, not even in theory, it conflicts. It can be made to function, but without workarounds or alternative solutions, it’s a patch job. And that’s just the surface, since there’s more like that box select and tweak conflict with each other.

why don’t you try it yourself?!

does not work since 4 days ago though. all this work has broken my setup. and i’m gonna wait untill the dust settles to rebuild again.

but i’ve got a working 2.8 setup for builds older then 4-5 days (i provided a build with the link of my setup). and my 2.79 setup works with buildbots, that one is pretty complete

Which is why the developer site has a task containing a bunch of items to fix.

In addition, what we experience may not be the case for those who don’t jump into 2.8 till the beta, as they are holding off on declaring beta status until a lot of the more serious issues are fixed.

you are correct here.

i misinterpreted this on my first read.

YES, it does select the first object clicked as the new selection
maybe not the best thing happening. but, for me personally i’ll still take this over having to press B. …And let’s not get into moving the cursor

It is, I was pointing out why tweak wasn’t working, it’s that some of these things are simply unsolvable, they require modifier keys. Tweak and Box select are doomed to fight for the drag event, and box select is doomed to conflict with LMB-down-select.

Again, remember, the initial decision is to separate action and selection. Given that, Action and Confirmation were put on the most important button, which is sensible. That left the LMB free for a portion of time when you aren’t confirming or activating things, but possibly prone to being clicked by accident, as such, a non-destructive tool which is also largely non-invasive to activate, and which is applicable in a variety of modes, such as placing the cursor makes sense and fits nicely.

What would you place on LMB, and why? perhaps it could be better utilised.

Click Select and Box Drag Select for starters. You know, like it is in next to every app on every OS

“Again, remember, the initial decision is to separate action and selection.”

I understand that perfectly. As I had stated in my first post in this thread.
And I have tried the default vanilla setup, I get it. It’s just that from my point of view it brings NOTHING to the table.
And it brings that nothing at the cost of a very ergonomic and approachable “Click Select and Box Drag Select” residing on the LMB, which is BTW such a deeply embedded muscle memory standard in computing across the board, not just CG.

So yes I understand that it’s the initial decision, my argument is that it was a flawed decision to begin with, and should not have even seen the light of day, let alone persist, against heavy opposition, this long.

And anyone refusing to see that there was and is a heavy opposition to RMB-paradigm in blender is living in a bubble.

But this is turning into arguments and into quote wars, which I don’t enjoy partaking in.
So this will be my last post here.

No hard feelings. :beers:

I definitely agree that RMB should remain part of blender, it is something a lot of users are now used to. But, for the sake of blender, and the sake of this tool growing (actually exploding) on the scene, I’m glad that Ton has finally accepted his error, and will make a step forward to rectify it. I am assured that this, coupled with the whole 2.8 revamp, and EEVEE is going to explode on the CG scene in the upcoming 2 years, hopefully empowering even larger developments along the way.

Blender FTW!!

4 Likes

So is LMB select going to become the default Blender way? I’m loving 2.8, but with all the changes being made, I’m thinking I’ll probably just learn the new defaults rather than trying to make it work like 2.7x. I did the same thing back at the switch from 2.4x to 2.5x. Yes, there’s a lot to relearn, but it makes it so much easier to follow tutorials as well as make tutorials for others. The more everyone can be on the same page, the better for the community I think.

I was not arguing in response to freeDNA, merely explaining something they saw as “strange” in an attempt to shed light on why, given the situation, it isn’t strange.

Heavy opposition doesn’t make something a flawed decision. Many arguments have in fact been made as to why it was a brilliant decision, and few against, fewer still which stand any test.

If you want to badmouth decisions that were made early in blender’s development, you better have some evidence or good arguments to back that up, or someone is sure to call you on it, whether you enjoy it or not.

Often I see proponents of LMB-select complaining that RMB-select needs to die out, was a mistake, or should only exist because people are used to it.
Yet those of us enjoying RMB-select are simply asking people to look and understand it’s benefits, and then decide for themselves which setup they want to use. I don’t see many, if any, people calling for LMB-select to die, or be removed.
And even then, I see someone who even uses LMB-select and still calls for more awareness on why some others might use RMB-select.

I want to say I don’t see it happening, but 2.8 is proving to be the industry standard update, so my guess is after the LMB-select system is as functional as it can be, it’ll change.

And we’ll have one hell of a huge storm. I would hope the devs consider the “Why Right?” idea as a way to mitigate that storm should they choose to change the default.

1 Like

My understanding is that RMB select came about because Ton is left handed. So for him, the RMB is the dominant button. And since he was the one programing Blender for himself to use, why not? Then when Blender went open source, it probably was just easier to leave the existing code and shortcuts. And eventually it just remained the default because that’s how nearly every Blender user learned Blender.

I don’t much care which way they go, as long as they make a decision and implement it sooner than later. 2.8 will require a lot of relearning, it’s almost like a whole new piece of software. If they’re going to change, now is the time since everyone understands that 2.8 will have a learning curve. The worst choice would be to implement a change after everyone has gotten used to the new Blender. That’s my thoughts anyway.