Blender 2.8 is now fully usable with left-click object selection

I cannot. You have stated you don’t use a tablet and that you are already used to the odd input configuration. The benefits of left-click over right-click are, in my experience, related to tablet use and ease of learning the interface.

How many of them use a tablet where it doesn’t matter which hand you use, it’s still a LMB select? For example, my son is left-handed and uses a tablet. LMB is what is used.

It is. The moderators do not choose the default Blender settings, that’s the Blender Foundation. The moderators here merely control the discussion on the matter.

It’s not laziness. It’s lack of motivation. If you already have access to other application, which you know and have been trained with, you aren’t invested in “making Blender work”… you’re generally just “giving Blender a go”.

Kind of like shopping for a car. Sure, when the ignition doesn’t turn over, I might just check to see if the battery is flat or if the spark plugs need changing. If I don’t have a car and the price on this new one is right - that’s something I might consider. If I already have a car that works, and this new one that won’t start is merely “ok” in comparison - I’m going to move onto the next car that starts first try.

1 Like

If they aren’t motivated enough to get over this small hurdle, then they didn’t need Blender to begin with. This is fine, let them use Max or Maya or Modo or Cinema or just not do 3d. No skin off our backs. Getting everyone to use Blender instead of other apps is a stupid goal to have. Blender is its own thing. It does modelling really well, it’s competent at rendering with Cycles, it’s passable for sculpting and rigging, it sucks for mograph or procedural animation. There’s other apps that are better than Blender at some things. Some people would benefit from learning Blender, some wouldn’t.

Not saying this is a good reason not to fix the LMB thing.

3 Likes

Right, because everyone using Blender is doing so because they NEED to use Blender. :roll_eyes:

Again, back to the car analogy, I am motivated to buy a car. I go to the car dealership and there are a variety on offer. If the cheapest car on the block (Blender) doesn’t start, and I have the funds to look at other cars, should I spend extra time & effort getting it to work? I still need a car and there are other cars available.

Blender isn’t there just for those that “need Blender”. It is a tool for those that need a 3DCC application.

Yes, you generally use any piece of software (other than entertainment software) because you need to. I don’t understand what you’re getting at. Blender starts just fine. You may need to practice your manual transmission. If you’re determined you want an automatic then nobody’s stopping you. Also, car analogies are… highly amusing. :wink:

1 Like

I don’t use Blender because I need to use Blender. I use Blender because I need a modelling, sculpting, and rigging tool. There are other modelling, rigging, and sculpting tools that can do the job.

Kind of like I don’t drive a Mazda MPV because I need to use a Mazda MPV. I drive a Mazda MPV because I need to use a car that can drive me places. There are other cars that can do the job.

My point is, outside those that use Blender for ideological reasons, the vast majority of those using Blender don’t need “Blender” per se. They need a tool that can give them what Blender provides.

So let them use the tools they like? Yes, they use software because they want something done. It doesn’t have to be Blender. What’s it to you if other people drive Mazdas/use Blender or not?

Who is to say they won’t like Blender with this change? To continue your analogy - the Mazda MPV comes in both automatic and manual. Moreover, you don’t have to start driving stick then work out how to turn the car manual either. You can get it with automatic upfront… you know, like how Blender will come with a keymap closer to the industry standards to start with now. :wink:

There is no special merit in being able to master a tool that is harder to use than it needs to be. That always ticked me off about the whole “Blender is for Blender users” response to user interface issues.

There’s no special merit in it, no, but it definitely is rather shameful and contemptible to reject a magnificent tool like Blender outright for such an insignificant reason.

Rest assured, the people who will now be able to clear the first tiny hurdle, will inevitably find a bigger, nicer hurdle to complain about down the line :wink:

I would agree if Blender were unique in what it offered. Which is why I used the car analogy. It provides features that one can get from other applications/cars - so rejecting a hard to use application/car when another provides the same features without hassle is neither shameful nor contemptible. It is simply prudent use of one’s time and resources.

If you simply pick another application, yes, that’s perfectly fine. Like I’ve been saying, Blender is definitely not always the best tool for the job.

On the other hand, if you just moan and give up despite a clear need for a DCC app (for a stupid reason like the keymap, and not an important reason like lack of functionality critical to the task at hand), that’s puerile at best.

14 posts were split to a new topic: Temporary off-topic discussion

If feel slightly pressured to remain on what the moderators consider topic, but where is the fun in that?

@BTolputt I consider you blessed to have a left-handed child, they see the world through different eyes. Their brains are physically, wonderfully different. A larger corpus callosum allows the two halves of the brain to interact better and faster improving, among many things, spatial recognition. Do bear in mind he lives in a discriminating right-handed world.

Both my right-handed wife and daughter grew up in a left-handed household and both use a mouse left-handed without apparent disadvantage. I don’t, however, believe that the natural plasticity of the brain should take precedence over factualy verifiable constraints. I ended up using my naturally dominant index finger to left click and thus right click too, have developed a callus at the base of my index finger and I believe contributed to my RSI. My daughter, who is studying animation, loves her tablet but complains about the awkwardness of using a stylus to drive the various UIs of the software foisted on her, although she has the advantage of using the mouse in her left-hand and the stylus in her right.

The discrimination chirp was mostly made in jest, in a failed attempt to highlight the longevity of legacy decisions, good or bad, despite changes, good or bad, and often rapidly changing paradigms. Who doesn’t want a cheap tablet with a beautiful, colour correct, 13/15 inch high resolution screen, a powerful CPU and GPU of workstation standard and a good keyboard, mouse and fabulous stylus with great battery life?

Would love to comment, but as things are winding down and being moved around, will have to leave that conversation thread for later :wink:

About “it doesn’t matter which hand you use”… I’m not sure if I understood well what you said, for the mouse it does not matter either. It is assumed that when you use the mosue with your left hand, the user changes the mouse configuration for left-handed user in the OS. So then it does not matter if a button is the left one or the right one, for each equivalent finger of each hand, then the same action corresponds. If you have configured LMB to select in Blender, then index finger of each hand is the one that will execute that action in the mouse (if you are using the mouse with configuration for left-handed user in your OS when you hold the mouse with your left hand, of course)
I say this because to rest my shoulders and hands I have become accustomed to using the mouse at times with the right hand or the left hand (I have a shortcut in Linux to make the configuration change quickly in OS).
The brain does not work first having to calculate which is the left button or which is the right one to then perform the action. Luckily the operation is more direct, if you learned to use the mouse with the right hand, then what each finger does (index finger, for example) is the action that will naturally make the corresponding finger of the left hand, without your Brain stops to think even for a moment about whether you are pressing right or left button.
Now, about Ton decision for RMB, I’m not sure if by that time it was possible to configure mouse for left-handed users from the OS

I’ve never actually played with OS settings for this and the mice we do have here are contoured for use in the right-hand. This isn’t such a big deal because the left-handed users here either have touch-pads on their laptops (the MacBooks), use a Microsoft Surface, or are right-handed gamers.

If, as you say, left-handed mice can be setup to use the left index finger on the mouse as “primary click”, then yeah - there isn’t really a big deal between the two in regards to left/right handedness.

As for Ton, his stated position didn’t have anything to do with that (though perhaps some of his unstated position did). For him, it was supposed to be about evening out the clicks between the two fingers on the (I can only assume wishful) assumption the 3D cursor would be as equally important to the workflow as selection would be. That’s really never been the case.

There probably is not a person you will get more agreement from on this than me. However you have to see that this is quite myopic.

When I speak of majority of users in my experience, this is true. But also I work with people of similar motivation.

I don’t often deal with people who don’t have the same motivation.

Or do I?

And this is part of where the broader picture comes in and ironically also the impossibility of remaining myopic on the topic.

A lot of business and I mean a ton, a literal boom of startups as well as corporate and small businesses uses were created post Blender 2.5.

So not just artists were emerging so were companies/work opertunities. And I could be safe to say that there has been a boom in freelance work with Blender post 2.5.

So what you have then broadly are people in business, not artists, needing to use Blender in a limited capacity. And people programming with Blender custom builds. People who’s primary motivation is not to master Blender as an artist tool but as a work tool. As nice as it is to fantasize that theae people will just hire artists to handle it all, the smaller the business or the department the less this is so, and the more likely it is that someone, not an artist, will have to use Blender in some capacity

And I also have clients who so the same with Maya.

So am I working with these people? Yep.

They pay the bills. And I am not making this shit up…lol.

So anything they can do to help Blender be more familiar to these kinds of people and even other artists with less motivation, great.

Those of us artists who call ourselves pro should be willing to adapt. Its what we do. It is not a big deal to us. But it can be a deal breaker to some. And when that means more work for us, bring it on.

Post 2.8 (4.0…lol) we should see another industry boom.

Maybe. nobody cares Why Right? To most people the reasoning why doesn’t really matter. If you you have to make a whole page to explain a UI/UX concept you failed already imo.

4 Likes

Great, those people don’t need to click it, or look at it.

I don’t understand how people can be so hostile to an idea that has no effect on their workflow whatsoever.

4 Likes