Blender 2.8 is now fully usable with left-click object selection

Great, one is always learning new things in Blender. But I am afraid that this will not be useful in all cases, only in my simple example.

Ok, I give up on proposing some way to avoid selecting by mistake geometries that you are not seeing with the feature that you are proposing for solid mode. If this is implemented, the user should simply be careful to not spoil things by editing non-visible selected things.

I think that adding a tweak tool that users can swap with the box/lasso selection tool is a good solution.

This is the most powerful tweak mode I ever saw. I didn’t know I could even tweak a mesh with the modeling tools also. No single tweak tool can achieve this power. And it seems to be the easiest to implement (I might be wrong), but I guess the devs are not seeing the true benefits of this.

1 Like

Indeed this is how I work in Modo, the lasso/rect select tool select through everything and I ray cast select with RMB, the best of both worlds.

I just have to say, I finally got a chance to check out Left Click Select and OH MAN! I love it. So far it feels like a prefect blending of other 3D software and Blender. I love that it doesn’t try and make everything work like Maya or Modo.

Love:

• Selection feels very natural.
  • Right click context menus change depending on what component type you have selected. It even adds items to the menu as you add more component types. That’s really cool. Also, in object mode it offers a lot of tools that I usually have to go hunting in menus for (eg: Shade Smooth).
  • Almost all the keyboard shortcuts still work. This is a big one because you can still (for the most part) follow tutorials without to much conversion and mental gymnastics.
  • Double click an edge to select the loop. I’ve been using Modo and Maya for years so this feels very natural to me.
  • CTRL right drag to lasso select is really great. Very Modo-like.
  • Graph editor works great now. Would love to see the box select tool working in there like edit mode. But for the most part it feel much better now.
8 Likes

I do not get the point of letting the user to choose select with right or left in the user preferences while left click is always set to drag select (or whatever is set it to via the that mode pop up menu)

1 Like

Yup, it’s pretty messed up. If you’re gonna have a right-click-select config, then obviously you should be able to do all kinds of selection with the right button. I wrote it before, and I’ll write it again: RCS is bonkers as it is now.

I agree, changing the mouse button should reverse the functionality.

If you feel passionate about this issue and related isues feel free to chime in to my bug report. We need to explain it positively and constructively. It seems to me that some stuff passed through the crack without getting noticed

As of now the current implementation does not make sense and it breaks a lot of perfected functionalities.

https://developer.blender.org/T58029

LCS is much much better now, no point bothering with RCS

LCS might be better but it broke drag and release functionality, which is part of continuous grab . Basically goto edit mode, select and drag a vertex at the same time in 2.79. Now try that with 2.8

If you never used it, then you are not missing anything in 2.8 If you never used in 2.7x then you have been missing alot :slight_smile:

Nice trolling attempt. Both need to work.

They are working on it. There was wonderful suggestions to make it even better. It’s up to the devs now.

I personally would like it to work with left click, not with right click. It currently works only with right click, and this is a big drag for tablet users.

I will be happy to follow the discussion on it, please let me know if you have the url or bug report for it.

It’s all here. If you scroll up you’ll find everything.

Well discussions here is no use for devs, only bug reports matter. No bug reports, no fix. You say they are working on it, there needs to be a dev page about it.

The bottom line is that there should not be any regression with switching left and right click functionality.

There will be none. But they can’t be equal. Things are evolving.

Look,

The switching left and right click selection (via the prefs) option works like this at the moment.

The buyer: Hey i want an apple
The shop owner: Sure, what kind of apple do you want?
The buyer: Red apple please
The shop owner: Sure, take this nice red tomato

Breaking is not evolution, evolution works by copying the best features to the next iteration, not breaking what works already.

That’s not how I see it. For me things are getting way better, finally.

2 Likes

Give it a year or two, almost no one will be using RCS. :grinning:

I am not claiming things are worse in general but this is one functionality I care the most, which is being able to drag things in 3d space with left click (continuous grab).

I am wondering though, do you use continuos grab at all? This functionality is perfect for tablet users when it works for left click because the left click is putting the pen tip down with a graphics tablet, therefor click and drag works perfectly when used with a tablet. This particular feature probably saved me millions of clicks and presses over 15 years in Blender. That is significant.

RCS as you guys call it, is not a replacement for LCS for a tablet user. With a tablet I need to press an extra button to do the (RCS) right click-drag vs left click drag which is by nature part of dragging your pen on the tablet’s surface.

Imagine this please, you have a pencil in your hand, and that pencil can only make a mark on the paper only if you press and hold a special location on the pencil with your holding hand so you can write a love letter to your loved one. It will be a crummy love letter. Not comfy.

If you only use a mouse, sure it looks like left or right click no biggie. With a tablet it makes a big difference because now an extra finger needs to be involved to get a functionality that has been working perfectly for so many years with left click.

Bear in mind that, bone posing with left click is also broken now.

Anyway, if any one here feeling passionate about this issue, please head over to the developer.blender and add new bugs about these or show support for the existing ones like the one I opened.

https://developer.blender.org/T58029

thanks

1 Like