Blender 2.8 is now fully usable with left-click object selection

news

(English is not my native language) #589

…But perhaps you are right, perhaps one can not in all cases differentiate exactly what is external or what is internal.
I was just trying to figure out some option to avoid making such accidental mistakes with what you propose.

(Piotr Adamowicz) #590

I’m not saying it can’t be done, I’m just trying to get you to think of a test that would be satisfying to you before you take the suggestion to the devs. Having a well thought through proposal, generally helps convince them.

(eugenio jr.) #591

You CAN do that in Blender with Select Linked Flat Faces. Also, in the tool options there’s an Angle setting.

Regards,
Eugenio

(Piotr Adamowicz) #592

Good catch :smiley:

(Ace Dragon) #593

Modeled tile patterns, Rubik’s cube, buildings, anything where you might want all outward-facing faces selected but can’t be reached with the Select Linked Flat Faces operator without selecting everything.

(Piotr Adamowicz) #594

What would you do with such a selection once selected? Bear in mind some of the faces selected this way would still be visible from outside, at some angles.

Like if you have a building, the recesses windows are in would be selected because they have something in front of them and the raycast would catch that, but they’re still visible from the outside unless you’re looking at the building at a right angle.

(English is not my native language) #595

Great, one is always learning new things in Blender. But I am afraid that this will not be useful in all cases, only in my simple example.

Ok, I give up on proposing some way to avoid selecting by mistake geometries that you are not seeing with the feature that you are proposing for solid mode. If this is implemented, the user should simply be careful to not spoil things by editing non-visible selected things.

(Charbel Nicolas) #596

I think that adding a tweak tool that users can swap with the box/lasso selection tool is a good solution.

(Thinking Polygons) #597

This is the most powerful tweak mode I ever saw. I didn’t know I could even tweak a mesh with the modeling tools also. No single tweak tool can achieve this power. And it seems to be the easiest to implement (I might be wrong), but I guess the devs are not seeing the true benefits of this.

Indeed this is how I work in Modo, the lasso/rect select tool select through everything and I ray cast select with RMB, the best of both worlds.

(Indy_logic) #599

I just have to say, I finally got a chance to check out Left Click Select and OH MAN! I love it. So far it feels like a prefect blending of other 3D software and Blender. I love that it doesn’t try and make everything work like Maya or Modo.

Love:

• Selection feels very natural.
  • Right click context menus change depending on what component type you have selected. It even adds items to the menu as you add more component types. That’s really cool. Also, in object mode it offers a lot of tools that I usually have to go hunting in menus for (eg: Shade Smooth).
  • Almost all the keyboard shortcuts still work. This is a big one because you can still (for the most part) follow tutorials without to much conversion and mental gymnastics.
  • Double click an edge to select the loop. I’ve been using Modo and Maya for years so this feels very natural to me.
  • CTRL right drag to lasso select is really great. Very Modo-like.
  • Graph editor works great now. Would love to see the box select tool working in there like edit mode. But for the most part it feel much better now.

(kkar) #600

I do not get the point of letting the user to choose select with right or left in the user preferences while left click is always set to drag select (or whatever is set it to via the that mode pop up menu)

(Piotr Adamowicz) #601

Yup, it’s pretty messed up. If you’re gonna have a right-click-select config, then obviously you should be able to do all kinds of selection with the right button. I wrote it before, and I’ll write it again: RCS is bonkers as it is now.

(kkar) #602

I agree, changing the mouse button should reverse the functionality.

If you feel passionate about this issue and related isues feel free to chime in to my bug report. We need to explain it positively and constructively. It seems to me that some stuff passed through the crack without getting noticed

As of now the current implementation does not make sense and it breaks a lot of perfected functionalities.

https://developer.blender.org/T58029

(Thinking Polygons) #603

LCS is much much better now, no point bothering with RCS

(kkar) #604

LCS might be better but it broke drag and release functionality, which is part of continuous grab . Basically goto edit mode, select and drag a vertex at the same time in 2.79. Now try that with 2.8

If you never used it, then you are not missing anything in 2.8 If you never used in 2.7x then you have been missing alot :slight_smile:

(Piotr Adamowicz) #605

Nice trolling attempt. Both need to work.

(Thinking Polygons) #606

They are working on it. There was wonderful suggestions to make it even better. It’s up to the devs now.

(kkar) #607

I personally would like it to work with left click, not with right click. It currently works only with right click, and this is a big drag for tablet users.

I will be happy to follow the discussion on it, please let me know if you have the url or bug report for it.

(Thinking Polygons) #608

It’s all here. If you scroll up you’ll find everything.