Blender 2.8 keeps on crashing after I open the materials menu

I wasn’t sure where else to submit this.
Anyways, I have a problem with 2.8 crashing.
Every time I open the materials menu on the right, the program freezes for about a second and then turns off. There is no error, no nothing, it just turns off and deletes any progress. I will try re-installing Blender know and will let you know if it’s fixed.

Edit: I re-installed it and no changes, it still crashes, I will go back to 2.79 for the time being, if you have any idea on how I can fix this please reply here.

it might be worth loading factory preferences in case it’s an addon acting up, if not you could try the bug tracker.

Which OS and GPU?

Windows 8.1, image

What GPU are you using?

This happens to me too! And i’ve been on a couple of other forums with people also having the same issue. I open blender and as soon as i click the materials button on the side, blender immediately freezes. I’m glad it’s not just me. I’m on linux. I’ve tried running blender on ubuntu 19.04 and manjaro and it freezes on both. This is with cpu rendering. Ubuntu has booting issues when nvidia graphics driver is installed.

I reported this as a bug on the blender developer site just now. We’ll see what they have to say.

You can check on the response for yourself here:
https://developer.blender.org/T68854

UPDATE: According to the developers, for blender 2.80 gpu is a must have or it doesnt work properly. You have to have a good graphics card. That’s the answer to the freezing problem!

Yes it happens to me aswell.
I assume it’s because of my unsuported graphics card.
Windows 7 and a GTX 560 with an old driver.

Seems to happen when Render Engine is set to Eevee but not when set to Workbench or Cycles though I’ve not looked into it too deeply.

I’ll wait until I have to move to Windows 10 in a few months, then take another look at 2.80.