Blender 2.8 on windows vs Linux

Windows 10 LTSB is a great option :sunglasses:

on my laptop I have both.

Iā€™d rather be alone with linux ā€¦ Iā€™ve been coming for years when I was more radical, custom archlinux and debian, especially in the years that went from windows vista to windows 8.1, literally the ballmer era I couldnā€™t stand it. those shits changed the habits of the users, even the shortcuts, to do everything eye candy and full of useless animations, not to mention the security etc ā€¦ it was a company totally devoted to profit, especially tto satisfy investors and speculate on user, and in this wayā€¦ destined to the failureā€¦
things now with windows 10 are clearly improved, this is to be taken note of, but they are still with the vice of considering their users as chickens to pluck, and therefore windows in general is a continuous spy that collects data.
so ā€¦ for convenience, especially when I simply want to press play and play in peace some game i use windows, for everything else as long as I can, I prefer linux.

Iā€™m curious - does anyone here use Bodhi as their distro?? Itā€™s a cool distro and I Love itā€¦ :smile:

I might be doing some black magic because Iā€™m using the open AMD drivers (AMDGPU) on a non supported distro (Manjaro) with working OpenCL that even put the GPU rendering on Blender to work.

Now seriously, if you donā€™t know how to do it donā€™t say it is impossible.

I donā€™t think itā€™s impossible, but just in case, Iā€™ll rephrase:
I think itā€™s impossible for me to do it :slight_smile:

I would say that most OpenCL ops are covered by this set of libraries available in any distro repository.

nVidia specific OpenCL was already installed once the proprietary drivers were chosen in Manjaro. AMD drivers built into more recent kernels do a great job compared to nVidia of the same, but to get the most leverage the AMD pro drivers should be used. I found I had to do more work in Mint to get things going than in Manjaro. The thing that was reported missing the most was libOpenCL.so.1 which is in the package above. (nVidia drivers not shown).

I would suggest you install an additional HD on your system. Then create a bootable usb from a Linux distro like Ubuntu or else. From there you test the distribution on your system. If it works then you can ask to install on the new drive you have installed and it will do a dual booting with windows by updating the MBR.
Your windows will not be touched by the installation and if you donā€™t like it then you can remove it or remove the disk. Windows can clean up Linux from the MBR