Blender 2.8 question

Will blender work with a Nvidia GT730 gpu, or will I need to upgrade?

Should work.

Thanks for the reply, not to sound like a moron but that wiki page might as well have been in another language because I realized I don’t know about any of that anymore.

I asked about the GT730 because I’m trying to find a GPU that will replace my current motherboard based GPU which is a Radeon HD4200 which does not work with B2.8, I’m also looking at a GTX1060 but that needs a PCIe3.0 and I heard that it will work in a 2.0 slot.

To be honest, I don’t know what I’m doing anymore because I haven’t kept up with all the advances and terminology now.

The 730 you ask for works, but is a very low end gpu and will probably be not fun to use. Depending on what you want to do the 1060 might be capable gpu for you.
Do you know your motherboards model name?

I got you as much info as possible…

N-Alvorix-RS880-uATX (Alvorix)

• Form factor: uATX

• Chipset: AMD 785G

• Memory sockets: 4 x DDR3

• Front side bus speeds: 1333/1066/800MHz

• Processor socket: AM3

• Expansion Slots

• 1 PCI Express x16 slot for graphics card

• 3 PCI Express x1 slots

• 1 PCI Express x1 minicard slot

okay, the 1060 should work with your motherboard.
But you should also check your power-supply if it will be able to deliver enough power (probably written somewhere on the power-supply itself) and that your case has enough room for a 1060.

If you need more help just pm me, I would be happy to assist you. :slight_smile:

I have a VERY OLD Nvidia GEForce GT 740 and it works very well for most everything I do in Blender…BUT when it comes to Sculpting or animations it LAGS a lot!

If you can find or afford a newer version than the GT 730 … I would do so…Maxing out your RAM will also help, for just about everything also…

I am currently saving for the best I can afford…so maybe that will answer this a bit better…