Blender 2.8 RC 3 is now available - please download and test

Hi Erick,

I didn’t intend to write a wall of text since i am currently under production but i was just giving as i repeat a personal advice to people coming from max or maya.

Personal advice mean people can ignore it and it has absolutely no authority.

I am sure most people understood pretty well what i was saying.

My pipeline is game development and i use both 2.8 for the good thing it has to offer and 2.79 for the stability and for certain addons.

Anyone with experience know that a big change like that in a software is expect to have hiccups for at least the first year.

I will take your advice and will make a thread when i stumble upon something that really is not working correctly. By the way it’s not really frustration it is simply the pressure i am under and i had to change my pipeline and adapt to many new software’s because of financial difficulty.

Also i did a thread here ; I need your help to make a proper displacement baking free tutorial? about an important feature we use often aka baking displacement from geometry on a flat plane and no one seem to know how to make it work correctly in 2.79 with blender internal renderer.

Don’t worry after 17 years in the CG industry i don’t get butt hurt easily! I like when people are frank and to the point! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

I’m referring to aspects of design that are much more technical, I personally don’t like how space is wasted, I find these long columns boring to find the functions I need (and in this aspect I preferred style 2.5)
I do not like that if I expand the window of the panels no more columns are formed and instead buttons and other graphic elements are enlarged to infinity, I find in this a non sense, and personally I believe that most of the 3d programs have shit ui, including max, maya, and the rest of the industry standards.
I would like one day to have a nice study like google did with android and material design, and decide to create / arrange the graphic elements of the ui in order to make them really modern, dynamic and functional. (I don’t mean colors)

2 Likes

guys on dev talk are already doing an interesting discussion and study on layers

1 Like

Totally agree with you on the columns issue. Also the side tab, there seems to be no way it actually edit it. So when i add another addon it just dumps it there and after a while its hard to see that is going on.

I want to be able to edit each tab, the size of tab and name, as far as im aware and i am a newbie this is not possible. Also why cant it be moved to the top, like a second top tab, once you get a few addons it quickly becomes the biggest tab and yet we have it on the smallest part of the screen, ie vertically not horizontally. I should be able to put the tabs where i please top, left, bottom, right, wherever.

1 Like

I just started with 3D and find that the Blender UI is more easy to understand that other Softwares. 2.79 was super hard to read

2 Likes

when I talk about a more functional way to optimize the space, and and to find a way to compact of very long columns of panels, I am not referring to going back to the past, but deciding to do a serious study on improving the elements of the ui, so as to create zones - below compartments in the panels to better group the major functionalities and their sub-categories of related-advanced functionalities.

That’s why I mention the work has done google with material design, with drop-down menus that expand with animation and show the most advanced options only when you need it …
I would imagine:
Exhibit as few elements as possible with much more predictive and contextual organization, and that each “function’s box-zone” always has its zone of advanced expanding options when required …
What would we have?
We would have an application that not scary and seems easy to use even for a child. We would have much more compact panels, and we would always have the most advanced options available to those who need them.
Try to imagine how the blender panels would work with this example video of the material design animations, but on features similar to what I tried to describe …

2 Likes

Seems to be a lot of people on here whining and complaining about FREE software! Do any of you help with the development of Blender? Have you even made any donations to Blender Development Fund? If not… then maybe you should ZIP IT!

1 Like

Your advice is laughable. The answer is no. We’ll do as we please.

1 Like

Why laughable? Surely you could find or do something to contribute? OSS lives and dies on contributions, whether time, money, support or other small acts of kindness. If morals or ethics are not an issue, pirate something better? Aaaarr! :wink:

2 Likes

I think it feel pretty solid overall If I take into account the massive list of changes and improvements (I really do like EEVE for fast material preview :smiley: ) , but for my actual project it struggle heavily in edit mode (20 separate objects with subdivision modifier), but I am pretty sure they will improve viewport performance in the next version.

From what I remember there were people complaining about the 2.5 changes version back when they released it, it’s pretty usual to see some early refusal.

Yup. I like collections versus layers. Conceptually they are similar but like you said it becomes more of a tagging system in Blender. Then that begs the question why not take it to its logical conclusion and actually make it a tagging system with fuzzy searching, smart collections, etc. Just a smarter way to collect objects into easily accessible which is what most layering systems are effectively.

What’s wasted space to you is more readable properties to me. I thought 2.5-2.7 looked overly cluttered as it slowly morphed back into grouping properties just like in 2.4.

1 Like

For the most part I’m enjoying the release candidate, but I’m noticing when I attempt to go to rendered mode with EEVEE, it immediately crashes, but doesn’t happen when I use Cycles. I have no idea if that’s a bug I’m encountering, or because I’m using a weak/old laptop with an integrated graphics card. Though, it didn’t really happen before this. (That being said, it does actually render)

What is that integrated graphic and what is your OS?

trust me, with a bit of study, some ideas and genius, we can find better solution to this, without necessarily going against your nightmares …
:wink:
menu

edit:
a quick solution could be that each panel has three levels of “display features”
essential - pro - advanced
all expandable …
so we would have a compact blender, which does not scare, and which becomes advanced with a click.

1 Like

The GPU is “Intel®HD graphics”, and the OS is Windows 10. At least to my knowledge, the OpenGL version is fine, and the driver says it’s up to date. :confused: Mostly I’ve been trying to see if it’s my computer or not myself because I don’t want to end up bothering the devs with what could just be a problem on my end.

But which model?
I think that starting from intel HD 4000 it should be supported. So if you have one of those models, you should download from the intel site the latest driver available for your model. If it still Crash, you should open a report.

I’m going to have to assume it’s along those lines, as my computer’s really only about 5 years old (I did actually look on my computer for what the graphics card is, but it doesn’t say 4000 or anything. it just shows “Intel®HD graphics” in the places I looked; Google says it should be at least 4000, based on the computer series). But thank you, I appreciate the help.

GPU-z will give you the information:
https://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/

Download and run the app on your laptop.

We need to let users speak their mind. Information, opinions, and debate are contributions too. It’s good for the cause. Telling users to shut up is not.

Thanks for the response.

1 Like