Blender 2.8: Remove duplicated Materials

Anyone know a way/addon that could help removing duplicated materials like this addon?

I have a scene with multiple FBX imports and now I have many duplicated materials (for example iron, iron.001, iron.002 and so on) I’d like to remove them and have one of each materials.

Have you any suggestions?

1 Like

here’s something

Here’s the link. I’ve had some people tell me my install instructions don’t work…but if you can manually install the 2.80 python file from the zip download, you should be good to go.

2 Likes

Thank you, it should be perfect for my needs but…
I’ve tried both to downlaod the zip and load the Python file but Blender doesn’t want to install it.

On console I’ve this:

fake_module: addon missing 'bl_info' gives bad performance!: 'C:\\Users\\XXXXXXXXX\\AppData\\Roaming\\Blender Foundation\\Blender\\2.80\\scripts\\addons
\\cad_clean_mats_2_80.py'
fake_module: addon missing 'bl_info' gives bad performance!: 'C:\\Users\\XXXXXXXXX\\AppData\\Roaming\\Blender Foundation\\Blender\\2.80\\scripts\\addons
\\cad_clean_mats_2_80.py'
Modules Installed () from 'U:\\Scripts\\blender\\2.80\\Gestione_Materiali\\Clean
 Cad Mats\\clean_cad_mats-master.zip' into 'C:\\Users\\XXXXXXXXX\\AppDat
a\\Roaming\\Blender Foundation\\Blender\\2.80\\scripts\\addons'

have you any suggestions?

Extract the version you need from the zip file. Then you can install it via settings or manually by putting the py file in your addon directory.

I think some browsers download the py file and change the format when saving it to your hard drive.

I’ve downloaded the last Blender 2.8 build from blender.org.
I’ve extracted he 2.8 version of your addon.
Launched Blender and tried to install it from the preferences.
Console report this

reloading addon: cad_clean_mats_2_80 1557233066.1418715 1557233233.9120927 'C:\\
Users\\XXXXXXXXX\\AppData\\Roaming\\Blender Foundation\\Blender\\2.80\\s
cripts\\addons\\cad_clean_mats_2_80.py'
Modules Installed () from 'U:\\Scripts\\blender\\2.80\\Gestione_Materiali\\Clean
 Cad Mats\\cad_clean_mats_2_80.py' into 'C:\\Users\\XXXXXXXX\\AppData\\
Roaming\\Blender Foundation\\Blender\\2.80\\scripts\\addons'

But the Clean Mats option is not visible in the material properties panel.

Anyone else have this problem?

I’m away from my computer right now, but I’ll look into it when I get back to work.

1 Like

Use older version, if you can. Expect breaking with 2.8 for another week then API & UI get “locked down”.

But I imagine that the 2.79 version doesn’t work on 2.8… My scene at the moment is done with 2.8 and, if I’m right, is not possible to load a 2.8 scene with Blender 2.79.

Yup, you’re correct - it was noted to mess with :fire: :hugs: use older 2.8 builds you can find on graphicall

It is working fine here with the build I just downloaded from builder.blender.org.

Are you looking in the right place in the interface? Click the down arrow under the plus and minus buttons next to the material slots.
the right place

yup, works fine with today’s daily

Yes, I was looking in the right place and it didn’t show that option but now I’ve solved.

I’ve checked “AutoRun Python Scripts” and now I can see it.
Sorry for this and thank you for your support.

Hey, its quite nice qddon, just some think it think it cqn be improve is delete unused material too, have a look with Orpham slayer addon from 2.79, you can see on it you can remove too, lamps, images, material, node groups and more, it can be interesting to purpose options to your addon.

I dont konw if it4s something hard to do but just an idea.

thanks

The addon is not working with the latest blender build. Any chance we can get an alternative or an update?

thanks

Thank you so much!!! I searched for almost a year to get this feature back in 2.8, 1000 X thanks!

Did you get to make it work?

No i downloaded the clean cad mats scripty from @dpdp

I’m glad it’s working for you. I haven’t used it since the 2.80 API was locked down.

1 Like