Blender 2.8 Tool System

Then perhaps you can help me out, since you seem to use multi-keypresses a lot. I’ve made this video when I asked for this feature:

If you have object rotated in local space, and you need to move it in local space, say a roof window on a slanted roof. If you are tweaking the position, that requires quite a few local moves in a row. How do you do that without keypressing yourself to death?
1 Like

I see no problem with “pressing yourself to death”. I use this all day long and all the time and pressing gxx is incredibly fast. I love this feature about blender and I can´t remember when the last time was I used a gizmo.

This might be a silly question but do you press gxx blind or do you have to look at the keyboard first to find the two letters. Having to look at the keyboard is the only scenario i can imagine where pressing gxx is somehow slower than using a gizmo.

1 Like

No, trust me, I don’t look at my keyboard.

Okay, I made another video:

Could you please make me one too, showcasing how is it possible to perform multiple quick transform tweaks in local space using multi-presses such as G-X-X? I’d expect it to be at least 50% of speed on the video above, and it includes also dual axes constraints, such as XY plane.

Can you do it as quick from an angle where one of the gizmo axis is at least partially behind another one?
You have to account for the time you waste finding the correct angle.
And you have to account for the time you waste when you accidentially - instead of clicking on the axis - click on the other object behind it and selecting it. The latter I think is one of the main reason programs like 3ds Max have the lock selection button on a prominent button like space.

Anyway, all these problems would not exist if we could simply map the buttons ourselves.

1 Like

We are not talking about errors here, we are talking about the main workflow, the bread and butter. In the same way you said you have no problem with many key presses, I have no problems hitting the gizmo axes without misclicks. Errors are not bread and butter of the work, unless one is very incompetent. Most of the actions are successful, at least in my case.

The point here is that if you spend for example whole day doing something like scene assembly, therefore you move things around a lot, and often in non-global space, the small amounts of time wasted on multiple key presses like G-X-X accumulate, so it may cost you even 30 minutes. That can accumulate further, as 30 minutes a day amounts to 10.5 hours a month, if we consider average of 21 workdays a month. That’s more than one full work day (8hrs) that can be wasted by pressing buttons you should not need to press.

Our requirements differ. Hence, it would be best if it was adjustable by the user.

I don´t spend days assembling parts in scenes which is why I probably have more errors when trying to hitting the gizmo. These errors accumulate just like presses accumulate.

Nice “Setting for the polybuild tool to automatically create quads” by Pablo Dobarro. :slight_smile:
https://developer.blender.org/D4021

I had a dream about the polybuild tool, maybe we’ll get there at some point.

1 Like