Blender Edit Mode Performance

Devs always say it will be better later.
I really hope so!

2 Likes

They said they will improve large scenes in the blender 2.81
So for the 2.8 this is what we get

The only thing I really need, is that with heavy models, when I hide geometry that I don’t need, or I use “Clipping Regions …” geometry becomes light again …
After all I don’t care, the performance problems become secondary …
but without this possibility it is a great bore …

Of course, if they develop the possibility of making the geometry always “light” … using tricks of not calculating all the geometry during editing of the movement of the vertices, but only on release de mouse-confirmation of the operation, blender recalculates all the vertices of the model … then it would be the coolest thing they could do …

3 Likes

Very true, I was working on a large project last month, and deleting an object took forever. I found a workaround by moving objects to a hidden collection, which was almost instant. then when I had a lunch break, I could delete everything in that hidden collection and let it grind through all the objects.

3 Likes

the nice thing is that if I select a piece of geometry from a heavy model, and separate it just by pressing the large shortcut “P”, it gives me the power to make that piece of geometry light as a feather … so I can edit the geometry , then resurface it with “J” and do “merge vertices”…

it would be nice, that this “concept of operation” was done automatically during the editing phase of the vertices …
have I given you an interesting idea?

So the speed when using subd modifiers will not increase before 2.81?

A simple sphere with a SubD modifier set to 4 is extreeeemly laggy in 2.8 while it has the same speed as without a Subd modifier in 2.79 on my computer.

1 Like

an icosphere with 6 subD and quality set to 3 in my laptop is smooth, you might have something wrong in your side

I was able to subdivide up to 15 million verts and get 60 fps. I’ve noticed that recent builds seem to handle high poly scenes better.

Launch blender
Add a subdiv modifier to the cube
Give it 8 subdivisions
Apply the modifier
Go into edit mode
Select a vert and try to move it

I’m talking about edit mode.
In object mode everything is fine but as soon as you try to move a vertex you will recognize the huge speed difference compared to 2.79 which is so much faster.

Also doing brush strokes in Sculpt mode in 2.79 is way faster than in 2.80 at the moment.

3 Likes

Yep performance is really bad

Also not even sure what is “Quality” doing…

The Quality value sees its biggest effect in the appearance of creases in the subsurfed model. A value of 4 will see far higher quality than a value of 1 for instance.

For subsurf without creases, the gain greatly diminishes at values above 3.

is that the usual behavior or is it 2.8 only? Im asking because im trying to leave C4D for Blender and I encountered this in 2.8 when modifying a vehicle

In 2.7 it’s a little better, so this is a 2.8 issue. But in general, Blender always struggles with big polycounts.

heavy geometries, it becomes difficult to edit vertices (I am not referring only to subdiivided surfaces)
yet there would be a trick to make them "read to be edited infinitely"

there are architectural problems,
clipping region and hide the geometry that is not needed, does not improve the performances, edit the part of the geometry that is used continues to remain difficult

i checked and the same thing happens on blender 2.79 … too bad …
because if I select the piece of geometry that I am interested in editing, if I press the shortcut “p” to separate the geometry, that piece immediately becomes light as a feather …
so I ask and I suggest you guys …

it would be too complex conceptually a thing, if during “the phase of moving vertices” until the end of the operation:
to automatically separate a piece of geometry of a slightly larger area than the vertices being edited making it a separate object, and then make a “join” and a “merge vertex/remove doubles” at to finished editing operation"

the solution is just around the corner, it just needs someone who is able to translate these techniques into code.

A cube with 15x15x15 subdivisions and a subd modifier set to view:3 and quality:3 is unusable to work with fluidly in edit mode … I don’t see how separating geometry on such a simple small object should be the solution to be honest.
I really hope that 2.8 will be at least as fast as 2.7 at some point.

try it yourself to do some tests and you will see that what I wrote works … of course it’s just a description of how you can make editing complex models light and fluid …
in reality there should not be any real splits nor any separation of objects, this thing should only occur at the code level and only in the editing interval, in the time interval, simply the calculation is disconnected from the geometry portion of the object edited by rest of the geometry of the object, and everything is reconnected, when the vertices of the object have been moved.
is it so difficult to understand?

Why don’t just hide shit we don’t want at that time.

because it does not work…
try and see …
create a dense geometry model to make it non-editable and heavy, try to hide most of it and try to edit the remaining geomentry … and you’ll see that it’s slow and you can’t edit the object (this is a limit also of blender 2.79)
I’m talking about hiding vertices … not objects …

remember … we are talking about performance … for this the use of dense and heavy geometry …
not like someone who doesn’t use their brains and starts asking stupid questions and then realizes they’ve asked the stupid question and deletes the comment :wink:

i havent read everything yet, but that seemed a bit lowkey smug :neutral_face: