Blender Edit Mode Performance

To be honest i expect we’ll see more videos like this as people start discovering Blender…there is no doubt that Blender needs to improve performance & not just in Edit mode or Undo system but other areas too.
On the bright side at least it’s not as bad as Maya’s edit mode but Maya though has the best performance for complex rigs evaluation & Animation playback, so i guess it’s a trade off or Autodesk wants people to use both Softwares for different reasons :wink:

1 Like

Hmmmm from what I’ve seen in the video, Blender performs poorest of all.

I meant to say lasso select, 4.5 mins , come on that’s really bad.

? When I lasso select parts of that model it takes no more than 1~1.5 seconds in Edit mode for me. Lasso masking in sculpt mode is instantaneous.Or do you mean something else?

Btw, don’t forget that Eloi tends to cherry pick features which work faster in Max than in other software.

Although no-one is saying Blender’s Edit mode performance isn’t in need of a good boost. It will be improved rather sooner than later, I predict.

On performance, there is at least a serious effort now to get the undo system sped up (which can only be good as its poor performance is arguably even more severe than the issues with editmode).

See the meeting notes thread and the recent commit logs for more details.

3 Likes

There’s something unoptimized about selection, in general, with Blender 2.8. Object mode or edit mode, when you get above around 15,000 objects or a couple million verts, it just slows to a crawl. I’ve got a model with 51,000 objects in it and it takes about 15 seconds to click select anything in Object mode. Grab takes even longer to start but then it’s fast. Even deselecting everything is slow. This may all be related to undo, since it saves all that in the history, but even if you disable undo completely in the settings, it’s still just as slow.

3 Likes

intuitively the reason why 3d studio max is so powerful is only one and it’s obvious …
There must be some hidden function, which takes into account only the polygons next to the cursor, and excludes all others from processing in the step of editing.
Doing so only a smaller number of polygons being processed, and excludes the rest from the calculation of the mesh … and voila … the edit is beautiful light …
To confirm this, someone who has max, should do a test by selecting all the polygons and try to move them, and see how max is reacted … if the mesh is heavy like all the other programs then I am right :wink:

1 Like

Ah yes I overlooked that part. Weird that it would be so bad especially with lasso, right ?

They mean in Maya, not Blender (see comparison video).

1 Like

Can’t post a video/gif since I have max on work only. But I can confirm it’s much faster than blender. I can actually move 8+ million polygon meshes in sub-object mode in max, but blender crashes on same machine in edit mode with same mesh.

2 Likes

I’ve had similar observations when deleting objects from larger scenes.
I had a project with ~10000 items and selecting wasn’t too bad, but whenever I deleted something, it would take a good 5-10 seconds. My workaround was to move the objects into a hidden collection to get them out of the scene, then later I would erase everything in that collection.

2 Likes

Yes, max slows down the more vertices are selected. Also it’s slower in vertex mode and quicker in face mode. In blender using that dragon model from the video, it doesn’t matter if I’m moving 1 face or 100,000. The performance is roughly the same.
I also noticed, that blender took roughly 3GB of RAM for this model once I entered into edit mode (in object mode it sits around 0.7GB) and max only 1.5GB no matter if in sub-object mode or object mode.
Then I tried to copy the dragon several times so that I had 21.5 million polygons in the scene and blender was smoother while navigating the viewport than max.

3 Likes

I think I read, more than 10 years ago I think, that 3dsmax was using a microsoft library for big data to manage large meshes
it may be interesting to know what is this library and how it works

1 Like

My intuitive nature is giving me 2 to 3 years so we are at least realistic about it!

thanks for these info, that’s exactly what I wanted to know as confirmation to my insights.

yeah that’s the odd thing, entering Blender’s edit mode makes ram usage quadrupole each time, i know Maya is like always in edit mode & switching modes is instantanous but transforming is slow.
Max don’t know much about it, probably doing things differently.

1 Like

The thing to bear in mind is that it’s taken Max years of constant development to reach decent viewport performance. Not too many years ago the performance wasn’t great and the undo buffer was completely broken for quite a while. Even now in Max 2020.2 there are other areas of the UI that suffer from flickering/lag/redraw/refresh problems. Max performance is finally getting decent all round, but it’s taken a LONG time and is still far from perfect.

5 Likes

This function of the polygons that have a scalar performance, “is just a trick” that only needs to be studied well the best technique to implement it.
“a hack” that tells the system: “hei, consider in the editing step that there is only this number of selected polygons to be calculate.”
A trick would be to temporarily and automatically split the mesh in the editing step and then, after moving it, make a join and remove doubles at the end of the editing step (what actually I do physically and manually to edit the highpoly meshes)…
Damn it, if I knew how to program I would write the code.
I have teeth but no bread.
I don’t even think it takes too long to implement it.

https://www.learncpp.com

2 Likes

Performance improvements for SubDiv appear to be en-route.
https://developer.blender.org/rB83e87655627fc2156a87dbfe2f676869b97fa8d2

This commit for instance tweaks the BLI threading API to take into account the fact that some operations (like evaluating the subsurf modifier) are not lightweight. The commit message also indicates that another change will come that improves the situation a little more.

7 Likes

:joy:

man, I have been trying for 20 years, I have always been a man of great insights, but at the same time my memory “loses water from all sides like a sieve” , therefore my mind is not made for these things, at a certain point one can only resign itself to the despair.