Blender 2.8 viewport updates

31 posts were merged into an existing topic: Call for Content: Workspaces

Great, been waiting for this!

BUT: this is very buggy at the moment. Some objects disappear completely if I activate Maximum Draw Type = Wireframe. And I cannot select any of them with the right mouse button.

Very much want to see default/general be default. It seems to provide just enough and not too much as a base to work on.

Blender’s workspace malleability is one of it’s strongest points, honestly I never find myself using the built in ‘screens’ in 2.79 (2.79’s version of workspaces) besides video editing on occasion, though I always had to add a properties editor on the side.

Whenever I need an editor I just pop it in from the side, or view->duplicate area into new window, and add it on the other monitor. My workspace is always changing and adapting to what I need, and at what priority. Sometimes the graph editor is on the main window, split with a 3d-view and dopesheet or NLA, sometimes it’s in a different window off to the side because I still need it, but not as much right now. The default in 2.79 seemed a good base to work off.

So with status bars disabled, are there any plans for custom HUD stats (Head-Up Display)?
Is it doable with python or will it be?

ie. as is possible now via Debug Menu, but only showing info/stats of user’s interest.

Very possible via python, and done by a number of addons (Speedflow, HardOps, Boxcutter, Re-Last, MESHmachine, etc). You can draw anything you want to the 3D View.

1 Like

Yes but not on 2.8, they will remove a lot of things, so it’s not sure it’s possible.

Hi!
Yes, am using those with 2.79b :smiley:

Here am interested, if developers have some simple customization option planned for 2.8 HUD.
Would be great… ie. C4D has a drag and drop option for HUD including adding drivers, controls/sliders, stats and what-not. Then possible to move around the viewport. Working comfortably in full screen then…
Will need to wait for new API and see then.

Is there any indication they are gonna remove this? Have they said something along the lines? That would be extremely unfortunate.

Apparently it just gonna be changed, not removed. And changed for an easier way of drawing things. A good part of the API is changing, it is normal if some functions don’t work at the moment in 2.8.

2 Likes

I hope yes, because it’s really something important IMO.

2 Likes

Viewport’s status bar brightness issue was finally fixed… :wink:

1 Like

I was wandering about smoke simulation, at the moment it doesn’t work at all I think, but it used to work for a bit in Blender 2.8 and EEVEE, and the visualisation used the same type of tech than the “volume world” I guess (tell me if I am wrong here). And when I see the previs of smoke sim in Blender 2.79, it is pretty good, is their a reason why we can’t have the same type with EEVEE ?

EEVEE should give a result better than 2.79 previz.
You will be able to use same principled volume shader for EEVEE and Cycles Render.

Currently, there is no density and other smoke attribute useable by the shader. Simulation is not working, not able to bake them. It is the only reason why you can’t render a smoke simulation with EEVEE.
But volume objects can be rendered by EEVEE with transmittance and shadows.

Just be patient. Workbench should be able to display heavy simulation and OpenVDB assets.
If they are too heavy with a high resolution, maybe, it will be complicated for EEVEE.
But EEVEE would probably be able to give an approximate result.
Maybe OpenGL render will have also its own limitation, too.

The reason why it is not working, now, is probably a work in progress on OpenVDB grids (that are ugly in 2.79).
OpenVDB primitive from this year GSOC will use that. And mantaflow branch should use that, too.
So, you could wait to know what 2.8 previz will look like before asking one similar to 2.79.

Two changes and one option to have a clear distinction between Edge Select and Face Select mode

Thicker edges
https://lists.blender.org/pipermail/bf-blender-cvs/2018-August/113673.html
https://lists.blender.org/pipermail/bf-blender-cvs/2018-August/113674.html

Ability to show faces dots when “limit to visible” option is enabled.
https://lists.blender.org/pipermail/bf-blender-cvs/2018-August/113675.html

Now, you are sure to distinguish Edges mode from Faces mode.
Face center is an overlay option that can be disabled.
I don’t know if people will like thicker edges. It is not an overlay.

2 Likes

Has anyone noticed that T and N panels now fade in this kind of very slow, ugly, low framerate fade animation? Blender overall is always snappy, but this low framerate fading animation makes it feel quite slow and laggy :confused:

3 Likes

Yeah, i don’t like it
We need performance boost not a pretty FX on UI
:sob:

1 Like

Indeed, I hope we can remove the fading effect.

2 Likes

Just clear things out, are there any plans for bump map aliasing issue? That’s the biggest showstoper for me to use eevee in production aside of DOF. I would realy appreciate any info.

If you turn off “Region Overlap” the fade effect goes away.

Personally I don’t mind the fade effect, it opens almost instantly and doesn’t change the speed of operation… also doesn’t look low framerate to me…

So :neutral_face:

And by the way, this effect also exists in 2.79…

1 Like