Blender 2.8 viewport updates

blendertest

(William) #662

This is not a new thing. Was the case in 2.7 and before too. It’s not so much a choice as something that was left unchanged.

There are advantages and disadvantages to hiding when transforming. The hidden situation makes it possible to see your items unobstructed, but is also more jarring.

(Hüseyin Demirtaş) #663

Will vxgi come for eevee? “armory engine” using this technology can not be adapted to du eevee?

(Zinogg) #664

but u guys changed the rotation tool now it draws circle with ticks for snapping and bisect keeps arrow drawn and grays out the previous one that’s really a cool change, maybe just gray/dim them out, that would be nice for us new users.

(anphung) #665

Not sure if this is the right place for this. But is there a 3D Cursor ROTATION panel somewhere? If not, I think we should add it.
Currently there is a Location panel in the N shelf.
3dCursorLocation

(0o00o0oo) #666

Ah, I see now what you meant. Right, that would be a logical expectation to having manipulator that correctly follows where the vertices are visually, but right now, my concern is the manipulator, period.

It’s really awkward having the manipulator show up elsewhere than where what’s selected in Edit Mode with a modifier on (for me, the Armature Modifier specifically, but would extend to others as well).

Definitely agree. At the very least, there should be a manipulator that allows easy/precise tweaking of the 3D Cursor like everything else. I can’t recall coming across a good explanation as to why this isn’t already the case.

(Ace Dragon) #667

Another edit mode optimization (drawing is 30 percent faster when the view is not actively rotating).
https://lists.blender.org/pipermail/bf-blender-cvs/2018-October/115195.html

Hope we get tons more of these type of things for the beta.

(Antaioz) #668

For the immediate versions of any tools I’d want the line to stay and the gizmo gone. To me the gizmo is obtrusive, so if the active tool version were to keep the gizmos up I would hope they just make sure the hotkey tools still used the lines (especially if the gizmo is hidden).

(Zinogg) #669

well now we have the overlays with the gizmo and active tool options, so technically we can have both and like you said the hotkeys are not affected. this way you please both the power users and the newcomers it’s a win win.

(Charbel Nicolas) #670

Is there a reason why face inset doesn’t have a proper gizmo now? It still uses that wonky dotted line that extends forever and gets stupidly hard to adjust depending on where your cursor is… Are there plans to improve this?

I actually don’t understand why anyone hasn’t brought it up…

(William) #671

For all the tools that don’t require different axes of input, there’s less of a need for a gizmo. Inset Faces adjusts a percentage of inset-ness when you drag in the 3D View. What would a gizmo add that’s different from just dragging to set the influence?

There are other tools, such as Shear, where there are axes. You might want to shear along X, Y or Z. Shear then needs a gizmo to do that, consistent with Move or Scale.

(anphung) #672

Can we have Show Cage in Edit Mode for Bevel modifier too? It’s hard to see the result while editing bevel weight

(Charbel Nicolas) #673

Hi William, I understand what you’re saying, but unfortunately the inset face gizmo doesn’t work properly as you say it should, its use is very limited depending on where your cursor is placed at the moment you run the inset face tool.

Please watch the following video to see what I mean.

DROPBOX VIDEO

I don’t know… This is one of the type of behaviors that really make for poor usability. I think you could leave the same dotted line gizmo but change its behavior so it can be used correctly.

I really hope this can be sorted out, coming from modo’s nice bevel tool gizmo, this one really makes me cringe.

(William) #674

We could add a ‘2D’ gizmo separated from the actual mesh - we did discuss this. But it seems like what you don’t like is the specific mapping of the input (scale in and out to inset).

The way it works now is consistent with many other tools in Blender, where you drag inwards. Using the tool depends on where you drag from currently. We could potentially change the inset tool so the mapping just goes from left to right on the screen. Some other tools do this too.

Btw, what ‘dotted line’ gizmo are you referring to?

(Charbel Nicolas) #675

Sorry, I meant to say dashed line, I’m referring to the line that goes from the mouse cursor to the actual face in the mesh when you run the inset face tool.

(BlackRainbow) #676

I realy hope we wont end up with the visibility toggles as they are right now. This is an issue. It will become 2.8s “right click select”. Blenders learning curve most of the time will end up right there, at the moment user sees two buttons doing exact same thing, he wont stay long enough to care about linking.

Yes, i know its in alpha state, in development. That’s why i hope there still will be further development on this side.

(Thinking Polygons) #677

Blender now has the viewport navigation gizmo system, so it’s just a matter of drop the old way of manipulate the tools and use the new system, which is the standard in all 3d applications.

(Zinogg) #678

i think we could have an option in the user pref for both, right now i managed to draw the transformation gizmos in the view-port when playback is on, but since i am new to Blender and coding in general i couldn’t figure out how to update it each time u drag it…i’ll try to make my own standard version but it’ll take me awhile.

(Zinogg) #679

Blender needs to change, bringing everything to the 3D view-port and tool/top bar is the better solution it makes for easy and quick access instead of making every-thing tabs,icons,menus and shortcuts, if it were for me i’ll take it even further and make it all working interactively with gizmos and widgets.

(Ace Dragon) #680

Considering all of the things you find in the properties panels, moving each and every option and field to the viewport would be quite difficult to do without having too much clutter or occlusion of the workspace.

(Zinogg) #681

well not everything, this needs good design and testing first.
but for the end users would be much useful and easy to have a direct manipulation in the view-port, or what is like now with the tool/top bar and the pop-up side menu, it frees u from going into nested panels and what not, this what any well designed software does, it presents the most used tools first and leave the lesser ones in the menus and panels.