Blender 2.8 viewport updates

Those are added by me. I was playing with yours and some others—forgot to delete them before taking a screenshot. I like that toon one though.

1 Like

No worries… I’m still happy… At least you like it. :smiley:

This is a great and clean solution. They are doing an awesome job trying to make most of the users happy, and it is nicely done. Thank you very much to all the Blender developer team :smiley:

4 Likes

He just tested it, he will remove it soon :smiley:

3 Likes

:smile: :smile:

1 Like

That’s right, I’m sure UI changes are agreed between developers and artists in the studio, so thanks to all of them.

Something that’s always seemed redundant and inconsistant is the text in the 3D header. Some dropdowns tell you what has been selected (“Global”), others shows the mode you are in with redundant “Mode” text (“Edit Mode”), others name the options (“Shading”, “Overlays”).

It is not as if anyone wants the transformation orientation dropdown to say “Global Orientation”. Nobody is wanting to add the words “Snapping” or “Proportional Editing” to those dropdowns. So why do we need text on the others at all?

The following mockup shows the header without that text. It gives us much more room for tools, makes sense. And even allows quicker switching between Object Mode and Edit selection modes. Yes, Vertex Paint, Scupt would be on the menu just as it is now.

View Select, add, object could also be just some icons.
With tooltip it’s easy to see the names.

Pablo asked for people to vote for matcaps now, to choose the defaults one : https://devtalk.blender.org/t/call-for-content-matcaps/737/154

Please vote for useful ones, not the fancy one that no one will use (you can add them yourself after).

4 Likes

Agreed. The View, Select, Add, Object, Etc. Seems best kept as Text. It seems standard and easily conveyable for drop down menus like those, and keeps things simple. IMHO, If everything starts becoming icons it’s gonna be a bit weird. :slight_smile: Maybe play around with alignment of that row of text menus in different modes so they are all consistent. And maybe the spacing between them, etc.

1 Like

Does that mean mainly for sculpting, right?
What is the best for it? Clay, skin?

Briliant! Thank you developers. Those changes are the right ones.:+1:

Also my personal cheers to @TheRedWaxPolice @pitiwazou @Regnas @c17vfx and others, your “noise” was valuable on this stuff. (I guess) :wink:

Peace.

5 Likes

Yes I would the ones that are visualy interesting to see the shapes, but maybe not the one with so much reflections that you don’t see anything.

1 Like

Voting for default matcaps doesn’t seem to be the best approach, imo
The matcaps should be curated by one person, choosing those that are really different and unique from each other. There’s no point on having a bunch of similar matcaps bundled by default just because they got the most votes.

And @YAFU matcaps are also great for rendering, not just sculpting. :wink:

4 Likes

To be honest, I prefer that the decision will be taken by artists in studio and renowned Blender sculptors users (pitiwazou one of them), rather than ordinary users like me.

Yes, ok, but when is it more used? I think that at least before 2.8, matcaps were used mainly to sculp.

This opens a new workflow door for blender, which is something we do a lot in zbrush. Basically you render several passes with different matcaps to comp them later in photoshop or so… Very powerful workflow. :wink:

Too bad we can’t select TWO active matcaps at a time and just have an influence slider that specifies the mix between them. So you could select a diffuse clay one plus a mirrored one and you could get any combination in between. The second one could be a zebra shader and you could then add as much of that as you liked to your favorite one…

A way arround would be to use a matcap material and play with mixRGB nodes.

This makes me think we should have the ability to mix and blend matcaps using the node editor (think of a matcap blended with another based on slope for instance). It would be far more flexible than a simple blend between two of them (though perhaps it’s overkill for something that you usually don’t use for rendering anyway).

We should be also able to apply different matcaps on different objects.

4 Likes