Blender 2.83 LTS and AMD GPU

On one of may computers I have a Radeon Pro Duo Polaris GPU. I am getting crazy things happening when trying to run 2.83 LTS. Such as:

1. Lock ups/ Freezes.
  2. When I open an image or another app when rendering It will lock up and flicker with green dots all over the place.

Switch back to 2.82a, all is fine. I have not installed the l Radeon Pro 20.Q2 divers yet.

I will start there.

3 Likes

Updated to latest Radeon Pro Drivers. It was actually worse with 2.83 LTS and the GPU. CPU works fine.

This time it locked up almost immediately. Before the driver update, it would act wired and freeze but I was able to CTL ALT Delete out of it. But this time, I had to do a hard reset.

GPU: RTX 570

On 20.2.2 driver, Windows 10 menu texts are gone. After that I installed 20.5.1 driver, materials did not rendered and my display gone when start render. After that I installed 20.4.2 driver. Now everything is good. I keep testing.

Appears black dots on my render. This happened when I use 20.2.2 driver.

I will uninstall and back to 2.82a version.

2.83 version is too buggy.

I will say I have no issues using 2.83 with my Titan RTX, only my Radeon Pro Duo Polaris. I hope they eventually get the bugs for AMD cards worked out.

So I updated both of my machines to win 10 2004, and it seems my Radeon pro duo is working fine now. I will continue to test.

Hello there, i also have a PRO DUO 32gb polaris + rx5700xt.
While in 2.82 all works fine,
in 2.83+ and 2.9 also, blender random crash, and if i use cpu for previews, and gpu for render, after some frames it crash anyway.
It happen more frequently when i use other software that require a gpu to run… like Davinci resolve.

Also i notice that i have a crash 100% using blender 2.83+ and launching also Guild Wars2 (game).
When using 2.82 on the other hands, i can render, play, and use Davinci… no crash.

Also ProRender, and lux works fine in 2.83+, but cycle freeze the pc.
I would ilke to use AMD, but it’s a fair challenge…

Tested with latest 3 driver, enterprise and adrenaline.

https://developer.blender.org/T75319

Ciao!

I’m having issues with RX 5700

Can render in cylces on 2.80. Not tested 2.83 yet, seems a bit better but really slow. Out of the box default cube takes 48 secs in 2.8 and 1.5 in 2.83. Not tested any big scenes yet. Crashes a minute or so after it says Generating render kernels for the first time. Very frustrating. Interesting if you find a fix.

Sorry, did you have 1.5 seconds in 2.83? in cycles?

I think 2.83 defaults to Eevee. can you check the right engine is selected.

Second point, guessing that this is the “first” render as such the “kernel compile”. SO times are falsly “inflated”

I have the same issue with a Radeon RX 590 Series GPU. With blender 2.83.0 when using Cycles GPU render the screen goes black for about 30 seconds then everything is normal except blender is frozen. Rarely it actually renders but gives results like this or worse…

Bad Render

2.82 seems to render fine, but sometimes has the same black screen thing. Version 2.80.75 seems to actually work fine without any crashing (though I only tried a few times).

As for drivers I have the latest Radeon Software (which handles drivers). Also the odd thing is that I was using 2.83 just fine until the first time it had that issue, after that I just couldn’t render. Also I never had issues with previous versions like 2.82 in the past on the same hardware.

I’m trying right now with new ENTERPRISE drivers, and it looks like it’s working with 2.83 and 2.9

this is the link:

https://drivers.amd.com/drivers/prographics/win10-radeon-pro-software-enterprise-20.q2.1-june24.exe

@Insertcoin.tv Thanks that worked for me too.

Only thing, that link only works after you select you graphics card/other things. Basically for anyone else looking for a solution go to https://www.amd.com/en/support select your card and operating system and one of the options is Radeon™ Pro Software for Enterprise.

I looked it up and turns out that their other drivers are focused on games and optimizing performance in video games, while the Pro Software for Enterprise are focused on software that does CAD, video editing, animation, graphic design, rendering, etc.

Edit: After trying it some more it apparently didn’t fix my issue. So what happened was after installing the driver I tested cycles on my GPU and it worked a few times, now I was using it and still got some black screens.

so then it looks to be an AMD driver issue? But only impacting Polaris based GPU’s I guess. I haven’t experienced this issue.

But will admit, when i switch rendering modes quickly, on rare occasion it does crash. But can’t repeat to verify what. Also still running 20.2.2 driver, and based on above experience probably willl not migrate to new drivers for a bit.

I can’t be sure, but it seems like with the pro drivers it only crashes when I try to use certain features.

I would think that it is just blender trying to use the driver incorrectly.

Those latest Enterprise drivers works better, but yes there is some crash and black screen sometimes… I dunno if this happen for bad drivers or bad Blender 2.83+
With 2.82, renders are slower by far, but no crash.

I have problems with selection line in 2.83… Printscreen: skulptorium.sirmium.org/temp/blender_selection.png

Posibly problems with old graphic card as described in:
selected objects in blender 2.83 question

Guys, try Enterprise-20.Q2, doing a custom install (it perform a clean install with this option)
And be sure you have OpenCL 2.1 AMD-APP (3004.5) after install.
You can check it opening a command prompt and type:
clinfo

Let me know.

Having the same problem, whole PC freezes

I just clean installed the 2020 Q3 drivers and I still can’t render anything with My Pro DUO GPU. I crash just trying to render the dang cube. You mentioned OPEN CL 2.1. When I type clinfo, it shows open CL 2.0

I can render with any version of the AMD enterprise drivers with Blender 2.82a with zero problems. So there is a clearly an issue between AMD drivers and 2.83.2. I wonder when it will get resolved.