Blender 2.8's new Interactive Engine stand in the gap for BGE!

You can’t compare BGE to Godot and either way or its pointless BGE is weaker UPBGE IS A BACK BONE but lets talk about the games that were made on Godot vs BGE / UPBGE games !!!

IM TALKING ABOUT THE NATURE OF THE GAMES MADE IN BLENDER VS GODOT/UNITY !!!

That we can compare !!!
(NOT THE GAME ENGINES)

You must compare the content created in both Game Engines and how the game delivers that content !!!

Not the Game Engine !!!
(When it comes to the game engines people only look at its Graphics and Performance that’s all people see. People hadrly look at the content in the Games made on these Game Engines. (Which engine actually delivers Quality content) so stop blabering about the Engine and start talking about the Games that are being made and that have been made in both BGE/UPBGE and Godot/Unity 3D)

Fred/K.S

Sorry ace with any debate and in any case BGE workflow wins against anything ANYTHIIIIINNNNGGG…hands down period end of discussion…this is the second time I had to correct you on this :slight_smile: and you can change one instance of something, you just need to clever enough to do it…that is pretty much game dev in any engine.

Do it yourself in python is the sole reason why the BGE is so good, even if you’re just using it for educational purposes. I don’t see why people find it so tough to work around the engine’s limitations when there’s virtually unlimited ways to go around this and that if it’s your own code that’s running almost everything. Of course, that also means countless ways to mess it up, but that’s the whole point: if you don’t want a clunky, shitty game then don’t write messy, shitty scripts. Seriously the level of problem-solving this engine forces you to learn is off the charts. That alone is a good reason to maintain it’s core functionality intact. For every dumb little thing BGE can’t handle there’s a zillion others it can definitively pull off with way more ease than any other idiot proof design will ever provide.

Now if you’ll excuse me, I’ll go store my own 2.79 build somewhere safe so the glory of this darn thing can be enjoyed by future generations.

As I seem to be the odd one out of the general scheme on these forums I will mention that Blender can also make simulations and not just fantasy games.
I make maritime basic routes using satellite data at mainly 25km size but have made the full Isle of Man at 45km. with vert sync rate still at default 60.
With maritime routes if you wish you can easily replace the 1000s of vertices on the seabed with 4 vertice plane, or/and and use limited dissolve on distant areas.These routes I have been making available for download.

The zipped file size is only about 7 to 15 megs BUT the problem is the person dowloading needs to have a usable version of Blender to open and run the route blend file. A route size of 100s of megs for self standingis simulations not pratical for bandwidth limitations. So I also have to consider the practical aspects of BGE possible changes.

Attachments

TBH HERE’S THE TRUTH EVERYONE !!!

BGE/UPBGE = You feel like you’re actually making a Game from scratch and even your Graphics system you design yourself.

AND THAT THE BAST THING THE BLENDER GAME ENGINE OFFERS YOU, IT OFFERS YOU FULL CONTROL OVER THE GAME THAT YOU’RE MAKING !!!

Godot/ Unity/ UE4 = THE GAME ENGINE MAKES THE GAME FOR YOU !!! THERE’S LESS CONTROL UNLESS YOU DIGG DEEPER IN TO THE SOURCE CODE AND EDIT YR GAME PROPERLY !!!

UNREAL/ UNITY/ GODOT GIVES YOU FREAKING ASSETS or you’d probably have to pay for them!!!
LMFAO YOU CANT EVEN MODEL YOUR FREAKING ASSETS XD XD XD GUYS I MEAN COMMON THIS IS PRETTY STRAIGHT FORWARD AND ALSO GUYS THE FREAKING WORKFLOW IS WAYYYYYY BETTER IN BGE/UPBGE THAN IN UNITY OR UNREAL ENGINE4 ITS JUST WAY BETTER !!!

HERE’S MY GENERAL CONCLUSION HERE:

• The bottom line here is that in BGE/UPBGE you can make a game fully made in blender and no external sources involved. (Except for gimp/Photoshop but yeah)

Fred/K.S

no game engine makes the game for you…there is always some aspect where you need to get down and dirty with some code…unless you are making a very simple and UN-origional title…like “Myrlea” :slight_smile:

In level design, yes.

In the general creation of game objects containing logic, you can always create tons of non-instanced objects tailored for a specific point in the level (but you run into a major issue when you need to make logic brick changes that need to be applied to many objects in multiple scenes).

This could be alleviated if the logic bricks became a datablock type, but that might require major changes (especially if you have wires crossed with bricks from different objects).

First I want to be clear…I’m not trying to start a debate…but if your logic bricks are that complex…you need to be using python. The logic brick system in general needs a lot of work though…that cannot be denied…it doesn’t even support dragging or copying of properties…but I don’t use them that often…I use a few ofc…but nothing crazy and usually if I am just doing some simple mechanics :)…on that note…you cannot make any game in any engine without eventually going to their scripting language and foregoing any type of brick, node or bluprint type of logic system…so…arguing about the logic bricks is kinda weak… :frowning:

and not just level design…overall it has better workflow(aside from the bricks) say you have some funky animations in UE or Unity/Godot…whatever…

you need to go to another package(Blender maybe) to correct it…or add one…not in Blender…you just select the root go into pose mode…and get to it.

Textures…same thing…texture paint.

Need a crate model for the beginning area of your game…don’t go to another package…just hit shif+a add cube…etc etc…

You cannot say any of the other packages have such a tight workflow…not one, and not even close. Sorry Ace…it is what it is…no hard feelings…if someone…anyone could prove me wrong and show me a single piece of software that does it better…hell sign me up…adios blender :wink: tschuss!

Graphics don’t define a game, however people are ignorant and pick what looks pretty.

Now days people are starting to realize how much game mechanics mean and how important they are and we can see that thanks to games like Minecraft witch showed how correctly doing mechanics can be good while No Man’s Sky has showed us how you can polish a turd. In all “it’s not the Graphics that makes a game, but it definitely gets you noticed.”

The best thing that Blender can do is not start over but refine and build upon because in today’s society we often way to quickly drop things and start from scratch over and over, this is the worst thing to do because you stop yourself from mounting to something greater.

In simple cases like that, Godot actually does have built in primitives you can use for things like a low-poly box.

There also was a plugin for Godot 2.x where you could draw any kind of extruded shape in the editor (but I do not know if it was updated for 3.x).

Wonderfully said i totally agree with ya.
:slight_smile:
Fred/K.S

I was reading about everyone concern with BGE not making it to 2.8 and if the " Interactive mode" would actually be a “Game Engine” and so me and another person asked Pablo Vazquez the question when he was having a live broadcast on youtube a few minutes ago. Check his answer at the end of the video 01:07:15

Hmm…

Well I guess we’ll wait and see. I’m still under the idea that I should probably start screwing around in Unity on the side, just to get a better feel for it.

That’s more of an answer than I got when I asked, Thanks @ Ludovic_L.
I’m excited and worried about what was said, I live the simplicity of the current BGE and don’t want incompatibility with older files, maybe if it’s a massive upgrade people will jump on it fast though.

The simple things needed are texture animation logic bricks, better instancing, plane projection for decals, a node like system for logic bricks similar to cycles nodes, real-time mesh bending, real time volumetric fall off for things like water, water direction based using virtex painting, more standard methods of shadows for game and better culling methods

And Offcourse the list continues :wink:
(The list of things mentioned isnt even half of what we want and so i would say its a lot more stuff we need to actually get going, an easier way for them it could have been to update current BGE state or use UPBGE and go and upgrade it to 2.8 LEVEL it would save BF more time and effort tryina make something completely new from scratch)

But it is crucial for them to do it properly without no rush which i know they’re not going to do at all so we’re just wasting time mentioning these things because they’ll never check these Dirty Forums for answers on what they should do next. :stuck_out_tongue:

Fred/K.S

I still remember when 2.49b was updating to 2.5 and changing a metric butt-tonne about BGE. I was upset and confused and so resistant that it took me like a year to even consider looking at the new version. I was 2.49b-only until I finally had enough, jumped into 2.6 (at the time), and it wasn’t nearly as bad as I thought it would be. Sure some things changed, and I had a bit of learning to do, but it took me like 3 days at most to get back on my feet.

I mentioned Dirty Fourms for a reason !!!
LMAO XD

Now why would i mention such?
Well firstly its because they have a board thats running all the descisions and 2nd’ly they only listen to ideas at Conferences etc they’ll never browse the fourms listening to developer/ Artists feedback or requests !!! (Threads)

Hence their idealistic view of Blender Artists, to them they refer it to Dirty Forums XD

They never take our ideas or suggestions…

Fred/K.S

LMFAO as this might sound stupid but funny ive been able to come to a general conclusion around this topic !!!

• BGE/UPBGE = Civilized
  • Unity/UE4/Godot = Uncivilized

That THE BLENDER GAME ENGINE IS FOR THE MORE CIVILISED AGE !!!

XD :smiley:

UNREAL/ GODOT/ UNITY 3D = #SO UNCIVILIZED
!!!

So uncivilized guy’s XD

Just kidding they’re all great thats my conclusion. (So choose whatever Engine Suits your Demands/Needs Best)

Fred/K.S

What we need to do is to make them here our concern and what we want.
Ide suggest tweeting to Ton or anyone that is working 2.8 with a short and polite tweet about your concerns of BGE 2.8. they aren’t going to ignore us because we are Blender.

If BGE is ignored I will have no choice but to go to another game engine, Source Engine or Unreal

You know what we need we need atleast 6 to 25 You Tube videos asking for things we need in the new Interactive Engine !!!

Videos have a large influence over a huge audience !!!

Fred/K.S