Blender 2.9.1 running slow on new Macbook pro

Hey, so I know Macs aren’t great for blender and Im planning on getting a PC. But in the meantime, I have a brand new MacBook Pro

2.6 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7
16 GB 2667 MHz DDR4
Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB

and I have the latest version of blender, I think in October is when I downloaded it.

it seems like when I work in blender it starts out normal/fast speed then gets so slow its almost unusable within an hour or two. Any suggestions? would an external gpu help or should I just save the money for a pc? Also if anyone has the specs you would choose in a pc for a beginner blender user that would be great.

its weird bc I feel like sometimes it runs great just seems to slow way down while I’m working.

many thanks :pray:

Blender runs extremely well on Macs, and in a lot of cases better than their Windows counter part. Macs just don’t render fast on count of lack of GPU support in Blender.
Don’t confuse the two workflows. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Working with Blender in Linux or MacOS has proven to give performance advantages vs Windows.

Not enough info here. What are you doing, an hour of sculpting, an hour of texture painting, an hour of animation, an hour of grease pencil, etc.? :grin:

ahhh that’s great to know thank you so much!! I work primarily on animations that are under 10 seconds and Im very happy with the render speed.

So I am working on animations and within that doing pretty simple stuff like changing materials, duplicating meshes with array, animations usually involve rotating objects. I usually start out with complete mesh models then am just changing materials and lighting on them. I do tend to keep the screen in render mode to see the final look better, or sometimes ill open a second window in render mode and put the main window im working on in solid view…

hmm maybe I should not have a render view on?

thank you so much for your help really really appreciate :relaxed:

Viewport rendering will be a big one when dealing with performance for animations, or anything really. You may start out with a simple object like a cube and be able to render real-time in the viewport with Eevee, but once you start adding more objects and materials Blender really starts slowing down.

But, I will say this is also the case for high-end GPU systems. No one can really keep Eevee rendering the viewport in real-time (30-60fps) while working on larger scenes.

My advice is to work on animations with Eevee off. :slight_smile:
Another function that can really bring animations to a crawl is having objects with any sub division surface modifiers on. A good tip is to set “Simplify” to 0 for the viewport. That will turn off any hidden SDS modifiers in the scene.

If you follow those tips, animations in Blender is actually one of the Mac’s strong points; at least for the new M1 Macs. :slight_smile:

1 Like

This is so incredibly helpful! Many thanks!!!

1 Like

You’re Welcome.

I’ve just bought a Mac Mini M1 (8GB RAM) and Blender is running so slowly!

There seems to be a huge lag whenever I try to scale, rotate or drag an object.

I’m in the ‘Shading’ Viewport and if I drag a basic sphere from one point to another, it takes about 3 seconds to move!! Any ideas what could be causing this?