Blender 3.0 - What new will it bring

I suppose version 3.0 of blender will bring something big. What will that be?
Thanks.

Blender Institute will buy ZBrush from Pixologic and assimilate it into Sculpt Mode. :wink:

10 Likes

It would be neat if Blender 3.0 solved all of the remaining nags people have about the program, but most likely it will be a standard (though large) release following the new numbering scheme.

Originally, Blender 3.0 was planned to be the release that rewrites the core (which I think would’ve included a full transition to C++ from C). That was years ago though.

2 Likes

No 3.0 without solving the performance issues… :nerd_face:

1 Like

3.0 is scheduled for Summer 2021 (basically 1 year from now if BF sticks to their roadmap)

In my opinion 3.0 would be like that final cogwheel or puzzle piece where everything comes together in a nice fully functional package.

In other words most of the current “experimental/initial support/etc…” features, would be “hopefully” rock solid when 3.0 launch, to name a few:

• Everything nodes (or at least particle nodes + initial geometry nodes)
  • VSE 2.0
  • Vulkan support
  • Asset manager
7 Likes

I also hope there will be a follow-up to the currently frozen Dyntopo. Something like real-time voxelization while sculpting, or otherwise at least multi-threading support for Dyntopo, so it can be fully integrated in all Sculpt Mode tools again.

1 Like

Y-up at last! :slight_smile:

Oi! This is Blender! Y-Down! :wink:

(I never had a problem with Z up to be honest…)

3 Likes

Don’t hold your breath, Blender is always going to be a work-in-progress -and I don’t mean derogatorily.

1 Like

I think Blender 3.0 will handle the same polygon count in sculpting that ZBrush does… That would be a game changer.

Perhaps(crossing fingers) PBR material painting/baking and easy(quick) tools to produce gameready assets will come soon as possible in 3.x series. Faster you can iterate, faster you can get results you want.

1 Like

Personally I couldn’t stand y-up.

Then you best sit down.

Y-up has the advantage of being in sync with the mindset of a 2D animator or filmmaker, both of whom see the world as a 2D plane projected onto a wall… unlike an architect or math-head who sees it as a 2D plane on a table top or the ground. I’m assuming you’re one of the latter two.

3 Likes