Blender 4.2 LTS Released

Blender Foundation just released Blender 4.2 LTS that implement different new features like EEVEE Next, bump and scattering, improvements and some bug fixes in user interface.

Bump and Displacement are now supported on EEVEE, Subsurface Scattering now doesn’t leak between objects and has no energy loss.

Motion blur is now visible in the 3D Viewport through the camera view and supports a custom Shutter Curve, matching Cycles.

You can find more info about Blender 4.2 on Blender official website:

15 Likes

Is it me? Am I just being really dumb? Do I not see the forest for the trees?

With each release I get more and more annoyed by this push towards what they (not specifically the BF at all) probably consider modern webdesign™ or maybe responsive webdesign™ as well as modern brand language™.

My point being: There is this immense push towards this kind of scroll-down website layout which is all about big, flashy imagery, tons of autoplay video content, visual this-and-that, tons of useless empty space, absurdly oversimplified catchphrases and solgan-ified dumbdumb-language, virtually zero tangible, useful, actual information.

Long story short: I cannot find the release-notes anymore at all on blender.org.
It all tries to force this overly visual anti-informative marketing-focused bs down my throat wherever I look.
Even by actively searching it, I can’t find any releasenotes any more.
It pushes me towards download-this-and-that, demofiles, daily builds, and all sorts of sloganified marketing-dumbdumb language of zero helpfulness.

Under .org/download, it reads What's New, but that only provides a link circling back to the same langing-page flashy-visual-content-overload-zero-tangible-information BS. Great. Thank you for being so helpful, dear webdesigner.

And if I want to review the releasenotes of older versions, it appears I’m just as much screwed, because under .org/download/releases, I’ll be directed toward more installments of this maximum-visuals-zero-information landingpage-BS.

You know what the best of it is?
Scroll all the way down, eventually (after days of scrolling) you’ll find this:
screen
Super tiny.
But OK, well, finally found it, it literally reads Release Notes, so that must be it, right?
Click on it, and, tadaa :tada: I’m back on the same flashy-visuals-no-info-landingpage BS again.

I’ll make a commitment here and now: Should I ever make it to Blender Conference, I’ll ask anyone who works at Blender HQ I’d get a hold of about whom is responsible for the blender.org webdesign.
Should I get a hold of that person, they better be prepared for an annoyed, pissed off rant.

I mean, I think its great if Blender’s UI is visually being kept rather modern and doesn’t look like straight out of the 90ies.
But frankly, I’d expected a bit more self-respect and dignity from the blender.org webdesign than this shit where they’re blindly copying all the dysfunctional marketing-above-all, branding-wins-over-usability shitface-crap which they obviously eagerly learn from multi-billion-dollar corporations of the most disgusting nature.
Bravo.

Excuse the rant, greetings,
Kologe

8 Likes

It’s not just you. I, too, dislike this push towards more images than actual information.

A lot of websites do feel more like youtube shorts trying to sell me something. But maybe that’s because I grew up in a time of uncanney-valley furbies and websites where often times so much text was displayed you didn’t know what to read first.

2 Likes

I quite agree with you… unfortunately as Apple sells many Iphones, everyone that think to have “business success” looks at Apple…and if you watch their website you’ll find so many affinities that I don’t think it’s a coincidence…

In any case, if you want to have a release log with more info you have to look here https://developer.blender.org/docs/release_notes/4.2/
Since they changed the “whats’new” page, I can see the full text release log on that link.

Probably you can find the other developed points at the end of the “what’s new” page. Previous release pages contain a link to the release log at the end of the “what’s new” page… for example, look at the https://www.blender.org/download/releases/3-1/
At the end there is this

At the end of the 4.2 release there isn’t that link

6 Likes

The link to https://developer.blender.org/docs/release_notes/4.2/
was maybe just dropped by mistake.

5 Likes

The webdesign trends these days sure make me miss yellow walls of 12 point Times New Roman text on static starfield images as backgrounds :stuck_out_tongue:.

That was it, thanks.

Exactly. Nor does any hint at such a thing appear, if you click on
screen
which would be the most natural thing to expect.
I get a hunch whoever came up with this should be fired (possibly out of a cannon, they seem to love buffonery anyway).

That must be the pinnacle of OpenSource spirit right there.

edit:

I really hope so. From your mouth to god’s ear.

greetings, Kologe

5 Likes

This cracked me up! :smiley:

1 Like

Did they say in the video the “Allow Online Access” in the Network section of the System preferences is a safety measure, when it’s absolutely not?

If I understood that correctly, that’s another absolutely unnecessary self inflicted wound that could potentially end badly. I don’t understand certain things happening there. Hopefully I’m wrong.

Oh, dear.

Source: “Privacy” concerns addressed? Oh, no.

2 Likes

The Blender 4.2 release page definitely feels like it was made for phones first and web browsers second. The page at the wider width of a web browser gives me a headache with every element alternating left and right, so your eyes have to zig-zag back and forth. It’s very tiring to read or pay attention to.

4 Likes

The Allow Online Access is a “suggestion” for add-ons, it does not enforce online access. Extensions are expected to respect this checkbox but there is no method in place to make it a requirement.

Yes, I know, this falls afoul of many right to choose and digital privacy laws. The foundation has been made aware and they don’t see it as an issue

4 Likes

The talking head in the video says that option is for the “extra concerned about privacy.” That is unnecessary and potentially misleading. That feature, if I understand it properly, do not offer privacy nor security.

Why put it there, or not label it differently, then? Or why state this in their own launch page in this manner. This could potentially end badly.

Anyway, let’s… yeah.

2 Likes

For a noob - what does this “Allow online access” really mean? This really feels a bit weird to leave checked in the settings /:

1 Like

It means nothing. It’s a nice idea with no teeth. Checking it has no effect unless an extension chooses so, better to leave it unchecked and not have the expectation of non-network access

1 Like

@Gioxyer We’re watching your video here, not Blender’s Official one, right?

Alright, thank you. I’ll leave it unchecked then. Really weird to not have info upfront from BF what this checkbox really does, or maybe I’m blind

2 Likes

It enables or disables Blender’s connection to the Extensions portal. Fundamentally, if you disable it, the Get Extensions preferences panel is disabled and it does not download the list of extensions, nor it does update them. Similarly, the drag and drop functionality from the website to Blender should not work. Any extension you install yourself will still be able to connect online, though. That checkbox is only about Blender’s own access to their platform.

I think they should have labelled in a clearer way. The tooltip explains it, but what the checkbox says is the most apparent thing.

EDIT 24/07: in order not to spread imprecise information: disabling ”Allow online access” makes Blender not connect online and it tells extensions not to do it either; whether extensions follow this setting or not is up to them.

8 Likes

There’s a long and convoluted discussion about it on devtalk, on the extensions platform thread, if you want to read the read the official version instead of my very much shortened summary :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Um… no, it doesn’t. It tells extensions “you are/are not allowed to connect to the internet” and expects them to honor it

3 Likes

Aah, okay. Much appreciated, thank you.

@joseph Will have a look :slight_smile: Thank you!

Edit: Oh boy. Okay, so “expects them to honor it” sounds weird, too. So addons could potentially connect to the internet if I leave it unchecked - I guess that has always been the case, right

2 Likes

So the “Feature” is “asking the add-on’s” instead of “the user telling the software”. That could end badly. Anyway, yes, I’ll move on. There are things happening in Blender’s HQ I don’t quite understand.

2 Likes