Blender 500 Object CD.... coming soon!

Hello fellow Blenderheads…

Here’s a FREE sample of what will be on my Blender 500 Object CD…

http://centralsource.com/blender/file/heli.jpg

Grab the .blend file HERE :slight_smile:

I will be selling the CD for around $10 bucks… It will have over 500 ready to go .blend object files. No texturing. Here’s an old link about it… http://centralsource.com/blender/files.htm

I’ve been promising this thing for over 2 years… I should have it available this summer.

Also… I will be donating this CD FREE to be given away for Blender contests… like F1 Challenge, On the Haunt, Weekend Speed Modelling, etc…

Most of the objects are high poly, all are ready to go .blend files…

NOTE: These object files can only be used for NON-PROFIT, NON-COMMERCIAL, PERSONAL USE.

____SysAdm

That is a great gesture sysadm. Thanks for the work you’re spending on this :slight_smile:

consider me a customer :wink:

Roel

Did you model 500 objects of that quality all by yourself ?!

Of course not!! %|

Click the link above that points to the website about it…

______SysAdm

grabed

lest see how quick blenders ao rock this apache.

i once had the luck to sit in ne of this beasts and to take
a quick tour. man this helicopter rocks. sad the pilot did not want to
make a looping for me :wink:

claas

Will you offer a seperate commercial licence available?

K

Excellent work! I hope your CD is very successful :slight_smile: I have added your page to the Blenderman Links. Projects like yours are important…

Are these just model that are freely available on the web? If so, are they licensed for commercial redistribution? Because that’s what your doing…

Great question… here’s what I’m doing…

All of these model files are completely FREE from various websites that host FREE models. Every one of them come with a disclaimer that these files CAN NOT be re-distributed for commercial use…

These files were either in .dxf, .3ds, or .obj file format. I have completely imported these objects into Blender and saved them as .blend files. The money I am charging is for my time converting and setting up the GUI navigation on the CD, and the CD and packaging. I’m including the re-distribution notice that covers the entire contents of the CD.

I spoke with an attorney and there’s a fine line between re-selling these files as a whole or changing them into a .blend file. I’m not selling the object as a finished product to a customer to use “AS IS”. Basically, the original disclaimer states: “This object cannot be sold to a customer as a completed project. This object cannot be used for commercial use. i.e. paid production.” I’m not selling the objects as completed or by themselves to a customer, and neither can the end user who buys the CD. I’m including that in a disclaimer with the CD.

Basically, I’m compiling 500+ FREE files (that cannot be used for commercial use) which I have converted to a .blend file for the convenience of the purchaser. So they can experiment and practice texturing, compositing, etc. with these files without having to download and convert them.

If you put MAYA on a CD and re-sold it, it would be illegal. If you put half the program on a CD (which can not run without being completed) and re-sold that, your legal.

I’m honestly not trying to “make a buck” from this. I’m even giving them away to the Blender Community for contests… but rather, selling them as a convenience.

____SysAdm

Nice idea…

I had this same idea but I am going to put it on a webpage for download.

Blender T-Shirts will pay for the hosting.

Great question… here’s what I’m doing…

All of these files are completely FREE from various websites that host FREE s. Every one of them come with a disclaimer that these files CAN NOT be re-distributed for commercial use…

These files were either in .dxf, .3ds, or .obj file format. I have completely imported these objects into Blender and saved them as .blend files. The money I am charging is for my time converting and setting up the GUI navigation on the CD, and the CD and packaging. I’m including the re-distribution notice that covers the entire contents of the CD.

I spoke with an attorney and there’s a fine line between re-selling these files as a whole or changing them into a .blend file. I’m not selling the object as a finished product to a customer to use “AS IS”. Basically, the original disclaimer states: “This object cannot be sold to a customer as a completed project. This object cannot be used for commercial use. i.e. paid production.” I’m not selling the objects as completed or by themselves to a customer, and neither can the end user who buys the CD. I’m including that in a disclaimer with the CD.

Basically, I’m compiling 500+ FREE files (that cannot be used for commercial use) which I have converted to a .blend file for the convenience of the purchaser. So they can experiment and practice texturing, compositing, etc. with these files without having to download and convert them.

If you put MAYA on a CD and re-sold it, it would be illegal. If you put half the program on a CD (which can not run without being completed) and re-sold that, your legal.

I’m honestly not trying to “make a buck” from this. I’m even giving them away to the Blender Community for contests… but rather, selling them as a convenience.

____SysAdm[/quote]

I think it’s a great idea. You deserve to make the $10 a CD if you went through and put in the hard work converting and fixing the s to good .blends.

These files were either in .dxf, .3ds, or .obj file format. I have completely imported these objects into Blender and saved them as .blend files. The money I am charging is for my time converting and setting up the GUI navigation on the CD, and the CD and packaging. I’m including the re-distribution notice that covers the entire contents of the CD.[/quote]

Your lawyer told you that if you convert something into a different format that you can redistribute it? Wow, that means I can do the same with music, video, photos, animation, 3D models, famous artwork, and all of the creative work ever done in written history!

3DS, DXF, blend are just different formats. The law considers the content to be the copyrightable material, not the format. This isn’t even a grey area.

I would recommend speaking with a lawyer specializing in copyright and intellectual property laws. Please find a lawyer who knows what they’re talking about… we don’t want bad things to happen.

The concept of “copy” “right” = only the author has the “right” to “copy” the work, or grant others permission to copy the work.

[quote}I’m not selling the objects as completed [/quote]

I don’t understand this ‘not completed’ thing.

3DS, DXF, blend are just different formats. The law considers the content to be the copyrightable material, not the format. This isn’t even a grey area.

Well in the US you can only copyright “original works of authorship, fixed in any tangible medium of expression”. You cannot copyright just an idea. When you “copyright” a song, you are really copyrighting the composition as recorded in sheet music, the lyrics, and/or the recording. The right you are reserving is to copy that tangible object. Converting from .3ds to a .blend however is creating a “derivative work”, and this also regulated by law, but in a slightly different manner: SysAdm can be considered to have intellectual property rights over the packaging and the parts of the .blend files that are not found in the original files.

So my opinion is that the original part does not include the actual mesh data: vertex positions and face sets, and you would need permission (which the original’s copyright notice might or might not give SysAdm).

Next, this CD is also a “collection” of existing works; this comprises an original work in and of itself, but in order to redistribute each work, SysAdm needs permission (which the noticed with the original files might or might not give him; if they do though it might be courteous to inform the original authors if you can find them)

To me it does seem like something of a grey area, though I am only familiar with the basics of the law, not the case history of things like this. To be thorough, you might want to keep careful record of your expenses and make sure that you are not making any significant profit off the sales.

If the original models had been released under a more specific copyright (similar to the GPL or CreativeCommons copyrights) then this of course would not be so murky. I encourage everyone to take a look at CreativeCommons and use them with stuff you put on the web. I have a TXT record in my .B.blend with a skeleton CC license (in English and RDF format). CC is designed to be “modular”, that is, you can select different rights to reserve or give away depending on how you want your work to be used.

End rant…

reed

Not at all!.. The point is these files were originally FREE. Music, video, etc. are not FREE, so of course you can’t re-distribute them. Also, I have converted them to a .blend file. Nothing can open a .blend file but Blender. A .dxf, .obj., etc can be imported in any “paid” applicaton for use, but only Blender can open a .blend. So if you render out a still or animation and try to sell that, then you are breaking the agreement. A .blend is useless without Blender.

Also… over 300+ of these files are completely royalty FREE. Meaning you can do whatever you want to with them. But I have included 200+ of them that can NOT be resold as completed pieces. The creators of these files made them available for FREE to use for personal use. So I basically made the whole 500+ for NON-COMMERCIAL use instead of having to seperate them.

Basically, I’m giving you a .blend file, not a finished still or animation. The object is not textured either. You would have to render it out and sell the render in order to have a completed object.

A good example is this thread… I included a finished still of an Apache helicopter. I can not sell or re-distribute that image for profit. I have also included the .blend file of the helicopter. Since only Blender can open it you would have to render it out for it to be completed. The .blend file itself can not be “seen” without Blender.

All this time the original files are FREE, this could not work or be legal if they were “paid” for. So if you take a song that has been copyright and sold to you and change it to some unique file type that only your software can read and try to re-sell it, your NOT legal. The song is still the same “paid” copyrighted song regardless of what software plays it.

_____SysAdm

Being free doesn’t mean the authors give up their distribution rights. This has been upheld in every major court, both US and International. Free posters, magazines, artwork, software, etc. does not grant the end user distribution rights. Being free means the individual doesn’t have to pay. It doesn’t mean anything else.

US and International laws have determined that individual fair use does not include distribution. This has been established since the 1980s and upheld by hundreds of court cases.

None of this matters if the person/company distributing the work has written consent from the author(s) for distribution.

It’s fine to haggle over these details, but the reality is that SysAdm will be the person who is taken to court if some POed 3DS modeler comes after him for copyright violation. That doesn’t sound very pleasant.