Blender Addon: Piperator, Generation of Pipe Networks / New version with vertex color pipe control

I did a test image - thanks to @yeus great addon and to IanHubert (lazy tutorials).
Worked great with blender v2.80.75 but it’s a little performance hungry.

Hi, tested it in Blender 2.82, it gives errors: traceback, attribute and location.

soo… I just came back from vacation and here is a small new update for the piperator plugin. Just updated the description and published the new links.

what you can now do is: MORE layers. MORE control ;). → you can control where pipes will come out on your mesh by using red & green vertex colors for sinks and sources. Hope you have fun with it!

I would also be happy, if I could finally get my first patreon supporter. I don’t have a single one right now. Certainly room for improvement there :grimacing: . I am also starting to work on two other plugins right now. https://www.patreon.com/yeus

here are all the relevant links one more time:

current documentation:
https://yeus.gitlab.io/post/2019-12-03-piperator0.91/.

current download link is here: https://gitlab.com/yeus/piperator/uploads/bf5033ee1ed2478128cf22c1826c1bdb/piperator.zip

new features explained:

Post examples what you can do with it, if you have some!

9 Likes

Might want to change…

use vertex colors

make pipes originate from “sources” which are marked with green vertex colors and go to “sinks” which are marked with red color using vertex colors. The colors don’t need to be precise, it’s enough if they are “roughly” green or red (rgb: [>0.5,<0.5,<0.5] for red and (<0.5,>0.5,<0.5) for green).

Green {>0,>1,>0} Red {>1,>0,>0} at least under the RGB settings of Vertex Paint :wink:

not sure what you mean ;)? --> My description was referring to the “threshold” that I am using in the addon. so basically for red where values are (greater than 0.5 (red), smaller than 0.5 (green), smaller than 0.5 (blue)) will be recognized as “red” in piperator. Maybe my description is a bit unclear?. I did this so, that you would only roughly have to select green or red in vertex colors and not fiddle around with the “exact” colors ;). So a [0.6,0.4,0.4] would also count as red just lke [1.0,0.0,0.0]. Hope that makes sense :)?

WOW, that is quite a “Fudge” Factor…But I understand…my actual point was they were the same
: [>0.5,<0.5,<0.5] for red and (<0.5,>0.5,<0.5) for green). On the web site…

Makes a lot more sense…

yeah, I think will make that description easier to understand … if you look closely though, you will see that the angle brackets are slightly different (yeeees I know … i’ll update the description thx for the feedback)

1 Like

Here is the UI of a procedural asset done in Houdini.
I hope it can you you inspired for a future version that features valves, joints and other pipe decoration stuff. :wink:

pipe_procedural_v3

1 Like

Hi Xan. Is it integrated into houdini by default or are you the author of this procedural asset? If so, could you please share it?

I am not the author. I just posted this screenshot for inspiration.

OK thanks. Do you remember the source of the screenshot?

This particular one, no, I couldn’t find the source back. But similar scripts have been created:

1 Like

They are the same ones that I had found doing the search on Google. Thanks anyway.

Hi @xan2622. Thx for sharing. I actually have a lot on my list, biggest issue is time besides my “real-life” job. Additionlly, I am also working on another addon right now. i’ll come back to this one here and update it. Number one on my list is basically to put custom assets on the pipes.

2 Likes

Does it work with 2.82? When I try to install the addon it doesn’t show up in the addon list. I don’t get an error message as well, that’s the first time I see that.

I think you need to look in testing tab for addon in your preference you should see and activate the addon here

1 Like

That’s correct, this causes so much confusion that i’ll remove that in the next version.

1 Like

Add-on won’t work on my 2.82

Won’t work, can mean a lot of things and then we are all guessing. Most likely I don’t know how to solve it, but to prepare your question for the next one who’s going to help you, could you provide some details like:

• What do you mean with not working?
  • After installing, do you see the addon in the preferences?
  • If not: how did you install the addon
  • If yes: what happens when you activate the addon.
  • In case you were able to activate the addon, do you see it in (where it supposed to be, …npanel?)
  • etc etc.

You could also start your very first question with something like: I succesfully installed the addon, and I see it in the N-Panel. But when I press button x after selecting y , I get an error “the error message.”. Then I tried to look up the error message in Google, but don’t understand what is means. I tried also in another Workspace, and I tried with factory settings but I get the same error. I use Blender 2.82 and I downloaded the latest version of the addon and that is version x.x.x. I am on Windows 10 Home.

1 Like

Any news in this addon? An addon like this should be on the trunk.