Blender and active stereo?

Hi all! I asked this question at support forum, and they told me that i could try to ask here…

I’m interested in developing virtual reality applications using Blender game engine. Our systems use HMDs as output device, and i would like to get active stereo from blender; i mean, two differents views of the scene, one corresponding to the left eye and another one to the right eye.

I know that using Blender Publisher I can get stereo, but it’s passive stereo, and not the kind of stereo I’m looking for. Does anyone know if is possible to get active stereo? Thanks!

I don’t know what you mean with passive or active stereo.

But, you can get stereoscopic output in the scene settings (F10) under Format ->Game framing settings. In the lower part you can find different methods of stereo output.

I hope this helps

Thanks for your reply. I’ll try to explain the difference. Publisher creates passive stereo applications. The images corresponding to the two different views are merged in an only image, and you must use polarized lens to watch the stereo results. In active vision, two different views are created from the scene, and sent to two different output devices (like, for example, the two views of a Head Mounted Device).

Split screens I know are possible using python. Since this would allow two players to play at the same time I imagine it wouldn’t be hard to modify that to respond on both sides the same maintaining your two views. However if you need that to output to two different monitors I doubt the majority of us have access to stereo glasses to try. I imagine that since Blender is open source that the Api could be modified to do so. That’s out of my league quite yet, but I hope you will post your results if you are successful. It would be cool to see.

ya thats what I thought, before I told him to move the thread here. Oh i got an idea of how to get it to display on 2 screens. Make your screen resolution on the computer have double the width, and have two monitors, one set as normal and the other set to an extended monitor. Then if the split screens are split properly, one image will be on one screen, and the other will be on the other one.

oh, I also forgot that blender ge has built in stereo, and you can set it to side by side, and then do the last part I said on my last post with the extended destop

Can you please elaborate more on this?

which part, getting the side by side stereo or the extended monitor thing?

Side by side stereo please :slight_smile:

okay, press f10 to go to the scene panel, then over on the right side click on Game Framing Settings(in the format panel). Once the dialog pops up click on side by side, then when you press p and enter the game engine you should have side by side stereo.

Hi pablosuau,

I’m heaving the exact same problem here.
I use a HMD with 2 separate displays (one for each eye) to display a
virtual environment and I would like to use parallax effect of the
eye/brain (2 slightly different views of the same scene due to slightly different point of views of each eyeball) to generate depth of field .

Using Blender alone I didn’t have any success und I’m very interested if
somebody has an answer.

I tried one thing that is promising and that is setting the
display-drivers to do the stereo job. I use a Nvidia Geforce7800, latest
drivers and some additional files from nvidia to enable stereo vision
(check http://www.nvidia.com/object/3dstereo_drivers.html if you have a
nvidia card).

Stereo-vision is now available but I ran into the following problem: my
animated virtual hand gets corrupted in stereo-view and I have no idea
why.

Here is a pic of the view of one eye with stereo-view disabled (no probs with the hand):
http://www.studienschaft.de/ktl/pics/mono-view.jpg

And here is the same scene (just for left eye) with stereo-view enabled:

http://www.studienschaft.de/ktl/pics/stereo-view.JPG

Notice the messed up hand geometry :frowning:
The rest of the scene is static and shows no problems (the missing textures are my fault) and renders in “true” 3D (parallax).

Hope that helps you, pablosuau. Maybe someone can give a hint how to solve this last problem.

Thanks a lot,

-Zapman

Ok, I figured it out. My problems were due to incompatible graphics and stereo drivers.

At the moment there are nvidia stereo drivers (v91.31) available which work together with graphics drivers (v91.31) only! ( see http://www.nvidia.com/object/3dstereo_91.31). They work on my Geforce7800 but I think they were released before Geforce8x was out so people with the latest hardware still have to wait for updated drivers ;(

greets,

-zap