Blender approved for Victorian Schools

I don’t know it this the right forum but Exciting News.
The Victorian Institute of Teaching in Australia has approved Blender in the education system for teaching maths, science, medical, Solid geometry, animation, and any other class where 3D modelling can help students understand their subject.
Her students, year 9-12 had never touched Blender but after a brief training and encouragement are doing some really fantastic animations.

She is also teaching Python so the Programming students can work with the modelling and animation students to create display works for the next Schools Animation Exhibition in 2012

Very cool news indeed! :slight_smile:

As for the correct forums, well this works too,
but would be preferred to have proper/official announcement text here
or a link to such at least, but no big deal I think. :wink:

Otherwise the discussions forum would have fit better perhaps. :slight_smile:

so how would she teach math with Blender ?

Is this more a so called fun approach or serious math ?

Just curious about what is behind those poly-technical ideas because some one has to create the teaching material or are the students using Blender to explore math? In last case I could see a large issue with getting distracted.

+1 cekuhnen, I would learn lots, but never finish anything!

Great idea though, the class would have to settle on a fixed release. But with Blender changing/improving so rapidly I doubt that you could stop kids breaking out and using experimental builds.

Hey I wonder if they are lurking here somewhere?

Explain geometry via examples? :slight_smile:

Explore vectors and all… sweet. : )’’

Yeah, that’s the ‘down side’. :smiley:

I dont want to fire it down at all.

I am seriously interested in this and how it works.

When I was teaching at the University of Wisconsin Stout, we got a poly technical lecture how we have to use modern technology to run out class room.

Instead of Blackboard I started to use Google Site to host class material and Picasa for only work feedback.
But those were management tools.

Felix, for geometry I can see this working in terms of animation specifically for motion physics and chemistry visualisation.
But those presentations would take quite some labor to make - as I read the students are making animations ???
Wouldn’t be the old fashioned pen and paper and work clean approach work as well?

I recently read a lot about poly technical teachers and all they talk about is fun fun fun- but school and live isn’t fun.

Just being curious.

Blender= The New TI-89!

We had to make do with a BBC micro and Vic 20

What does 9 to 12 year mean?

Age or class?

class…

Hhm, 9 to 12 is before and during high school.

Basic concepts should be understood now.
I am really curious about how they use Blender for math and physics at that point.

I start to really think this is more a gimmick at that age if students have to use it to explore concepts.

I tried googeling this but I found now information about how they already used Blender.

Anybody found something ?

@cekuhnen
I think year 1 or primary 1 kids start at around 4 or 5 depending on birth dates and when the school year begins.
So I guess you add 4 or 5 to 9-12.

In Australia year 9-12 is well in to high school, in fact year 12 is the final year. By year 12 students will typically be around 17-19.

9-12 is probably the year-level.

I can see some use in geometry, particulary 3d geometry. Most people (ie. not the people on BA) have trouble thinking of what the perpendicular to the XOY plane is (for example).

Ok but then we are talking about high schoolers using Blender for visual material to explain basic concepts.
Geometry is grade 5 level not 12, and the same is with motion physics which I had in grade 6 ?!

The Victorian Institute seems to be pushing quality in education so I assume they must use it in a different way.

Pressure in high school was so high I would not even had the time to do all this only visually explain a concept
besides the fact that after 8th grade most classes went into advanced concepts which were more abstract forumla
based.

I am really curious about the animation the teacher was talking about her students did.

I agree mostly. The vast majority of subjects don’t need 3D, because 3D is simply not considered. In some cases it may be useful, but only really as a substitute for the teachers horrible drawing skills. I imagine that parallelpipeds, tetrahedrons and even the axis may help. Also 3D vectors, but it’s still all too time consuming to do in class-time.

However, there is another few subjects, such as that computer art one (which currently uses 3dsmax) and possibly IT (Flash is part of the curriculum, so replace it with blender i say. Flash is annoying), that blender could be used for.

An explanation of schooling:

Before School
Age 3: Playgroup
Age 4: Kindergarten
Primary School
Age 5: Reception
Age 6: Year 1
Age 7: Year 2
Age 8: Year 3
Age 9: Year 4
Age 10: Year 5
Age 11 :Year 6
Age 12: Year 7
Students are taught in the same class all day (apart from specialized subjects such as language or music).
Also, some schools start high school in year 6.

High School
Age 13: Year 8 Little control of subjects
Age 14: Year 9 Pick arty or language subjects, maths, science, home ec, pe, stay the same.
Age 15: Year 10 Lots of control, maths, english, science are core
Age 16: Year 11 Lots more control, english, maths, are core (Physics, chemistry, biology jump in as a seperate subject)
Age 17: Year 12 All control.
I believe the compulsory education age is 17, you can drop out after that.

Tafe/Uni
The next 3-6 years of your life.

To learn the perfection, the pure, the ethically correct in a community, this is mostly dangerous, leads people to be slaves, facing a chaotic quasi future. This is a lie, blender app has nothing to do with it. Now I may be trolling, Really?
You have to read the rules of this forum, “carefully”.

Just a reminder, Blender has been used in Australian schools before (http://www.mydogatemyhomework.org/content_article.php?CategoryID=50) and still is as far as I’m aware. I remember talking to my younger cousin about Blender at some point and to my surprise he replied something along the lines of ‘yeah that’s installed on most of the computers at school’. Neato! Still nice to know it’s met some sort of Victorian approval process for structured curriculum use or something. Still a bit confused as to the OP related use of it.

On another note, we had someone from the University of South Australia come in to work on Friday to talk about the use of (lower spec/cheaper) 3D printers in local high schools combined with Sketchup and or Blender. Most of the focus so far has been on prototyping/basic CAD type work for students, but it was nice to bounce around the ideas for potential artistic uses. Fun times.

Yes I would think that sketchup would be an easier fit for schools.

Michalis, taking drugs ?

BenDansie, when Blender is used for 3d modeling, 3D printing in appropriated classes I think it is a great opportunity for pupils to learn about this technology if they are interested.

It is also a no brainer that 3D can be a great way to demonstrate a concept such as in physics, or for example in chemistry (3d formula). If the teacher has the time and interest in doing this - sure why not. But most times this is all inside the learning material or text books you buy.

Thus I am just curious about what do the students do with Blender in regular classes ???

In the years of teaching I noticed a movement to digital medias for the sake or fun or making students interested
which how ever collides with the requirement of learning how to learn. Writing text on a computer has different consequences then writing it with pen and paper - besides that fact that your brain works differently then and you attention / concentration is different as well.

The big challenge here is to use digital media just enough not to make it a distraction but at the same time productive.
Through repetition you learn not by getting side tracked.