Blender apps

Thanks for the link! :+1: I was following some gaussian splat developments but this was really mind blowing. For our purpose it is less desirable as it involves an additional process creating the visualisation data. (We have that additional process in the form of VREDtoGo conversion. So we would not win much.)
We have the data in Blender so I would like to use Blender for the presentation. Also the data is scrutinized to the extent that even gap situations within tenth of a millimeter are looked at. So the data needs to be precise. I donā€™t think gaussian splats are that fine.
Iā€™m thinking about some external batch process starting Blender with the required data from a single batch file and invoking a stripped down Blender interface with an add-on based control. It is still early stage and I have to get some time to really think it trough what is currently possible. (Iā€™m already super thankful for the scripting resources within Blender. I wrote some VRED python script before but what Blender has on offer in this regard is on a completely different level.)
My post was only meant to illustrate that there are new use cases for Blender and some of them are rather unusual.

Yes. There is room for VR viewer, not just able to rotate around model, but able to navigate in walk mode or fly mode in a scene.
Currently, small viewer apps are rather 3D model viewer with a VR option, than VR explorers.

I think that the perfect deal would be a very light version of Blender, able to navigate, to launch and stop an animation, able to add annotations or basic GP drawing and able to transform objects (translate, rotate, scale), running on phone OS, useable with a gamepad.

Currently, the issue for VR is its cost. Expensive HMD that has to be connected to a workstation and expensive controllers.

I will (as soon as there is time) concentrate on a desktop presentation mode first.
VR comes later. (Although it is very important.)
The car industry is a bit different in the sense that expensive hardware (like HMD) is available and not necessarily a limiting option.
There is a huge difference of judging a car on a monitor or in a VR setup. The proportions can not be judged on a flat screen. Even on a 7 Meter flat screen (1:1) it is misleading. Thatā€™s why full scale clay models are still in use. Blender usage in car design is still in itā€™s infancy but I think it will pick up speed in the coming years.
One reason is surely cost but the more important reason is the user friendliness of Blender. (No installation needed which is an issue in large companies with slow IT. No licensing software/issues. Super quick development. Through scripting super expandable.) I am working in this industry for 27 years and it was (from a design technical viewpoint) never as exciting as now solely due to Blender.

2 Likes

What I meant is that is an issue for development of VR in Blender.
If technology is not accessible to Blender contributors, amount of testers and contributors is more limited than, if it was not the case.

Yes, you are absolutely right.
I hope that in the coming years more car OEMs become contributors to the Blender Foundation.
That would provide more resources towards this kind of development and also give valuable and day to day user feedback (in regard of VR for example) to the developers. But itā€™s too early to see if this really happens.

I get a feeling that this discussion will be split off into its own thread soon, so what the heckā€¦ :grimacing:

Iā€™m coming up on a decade in a product/boat/medical design company, and itā€™s been interesting to see our world of industrial design in general adopt Blender/mesh modeling techniques, most prominently subdivision surface modeling which is now a part of Catia/NX/Alias (so no need to use Blender). Similarly, geometry nodes (or rather Grasshopper nodes) are now also a part of those CAD packages (so again, no need to use Blender/Rhino).

The main hurdle of adoption of Blender where I work is the still frankly horribly inconsistent and convoluted UX of Blender, compared to the previously mentioned applications (or specialized applications like VRED/Keyshot), at least for people who arenā€™t necessarily software savvy. As mentioned, designers might just as well go to the workshop and do clay modeling or put together a quick concept in wood or some other material rather than fiddle with software, because thatā€™s closer to the real world where our end result will be (at least where I work).

But the absolute showstopper for us, is that thereā€™s no solid way to get CAD data into Blender, without an intermediary step. So for us, so far weā€™ve used Unreal and are now looking into Omniverse (both with good VR options) and our designers will probably stop there for now. When Blender gets a good CAD importing plug-in that might change, but right now (again, at least where I work), thereā€™s still a hard line between these two worlds for the average designer (I do import my subdivision models into NX, but Iā€™m the only one so far).

Anyway, thatā€™s just my experience. Iā€™m curious how you are using Blender?

the vulkan port of blender should be able to run directly on the quest 3 and the apple thingus

(metal and vulkan ports)

give it time and it should support large worlds in realtime - FClem and JBaker and the apple dude and vulkan dude are working really hard on eevee-next.

Blender will run on a Snapdragon processor?

Am I understanding correctly that in the case(s) you are talking about, Blender Apps could be useful because it could allow improved UX for people who arenā€™t that software savvy?
(But as of now, this wouldnā€™t be useful due to the missing CAD import.)

Already does on windows at least, windows on arm does a good enough job of emulating x86 that the x86 version of blender can just run, linaro is working on an an actual arm version which i hear is coming along nicely.

1 Like

Plasticity 3d has a plugin or something like that, that bridges itā€™s cad models directly in blender, but mostly for lighting/rendering purposes but not editing the model from there (because is not converted to polygons), but exporting models from plasticity to blender in openable formats such as obj works very wellā€¦