Blender Artists is going to run out of disk space in 5-6 weeks or so, and I have started thinking about upgrade options. So far, I have added additional space to this server, but at the current market prices, I think we could get more CPU, memory and storage at the same price.
If you know your way around server hardware, I could use some guidance with picking a good configuration that can take us through the next 3 years.
Our current configuration is:
- CPUIntel Xeon E5-1650V2
- HDD2x SSD SATA 240 GB Datacenter
- RAM4x RAM 16384 MB DDR3 ECC reg.
- 1 x 500 GB SATA SSD (non-raid)
- Hetzner CPU-B Benchmark: 8977
- Prize about EUR 70/month
There’s still about 115GB free on the non-raid drive that I use for data that can be regenerated (like resized images etc).
What I’m thinking of getting is an EX52-NVMe or EX62-NVMe as listed here.
These machines have:
- 2x 1TB NVMe SSD (so we can have everything in RAID)
- 128GB Ram (DDR4, not ECC - does that matter?)
- CPU-B benchmarks of 15000 and 20000, respectively.
What do you think? Is this a sensible upgrade, or can you perhaps find another server at Hetzner that would do the job better at roughly the same price?