Blender at work

I have recently been working on promoting blender to my boss at work, to be used for presentation purposes. I have been working with AutoCad 2008 and Blender 2.46 to create some good models of equipment. I work in an electrical engineering firm during the day so I wanted to find an opportunity to use blender at work. Her is what I have so far. I am trying to get a realistic looking render of this equipment. The ground needs some work for sure. Any suggestions. I am trying to make a gravel texture (voroni and musgrave) and a concrete texture for ht e foundations. The rest is steel or aother metal. any suggestions? I am in the prcess of rendering the entire substation, but I have not imported it all into blender yet.
also, this is rendered in LuxRender…

Attachments

WHOA!! Thats really cool!!
can i see the lighting set up?.. and AO set up?..l love the lighting

Interesting… Nicely done, although very grainy, use the Blender internal.
For the metal, needs a higher specularity rating, a bit of reflection perhaps? Concrete is a lighter grey colour, closer to the ground texture, is it not?
I’d advize you to do a spot render, i know that’s not the technical term, a single spotlight (or others if you want) illuminating the object without a world, perhaps with a black or grey plane underneath, like a showcase. That would suit your purposes better I think.

hi

all guys.I have been working with AutoCad 2008 and Blender 2.46 to create some good models of equipment. I work in an electrical engineering firm during the day so I wanted to find an opportunity to use blender at work.

so, you can tell me. How you get this opportunity,

thanks

Here is another rendering of the same scene. I let it render much longer this time to remove the grainy aspect. As far as the scene, I am planning on assembling and modelling the entire substation, and making a realistic image, so that is why I am trying to get a gravel texture on the ground. In real life, that is what is used.
As far as using it at work, I jsut started a conversation with my boss about working in 3d and creating good presentation materials, and I talked about blender and promoted it heavily, and he said, “sure.” There really wasnt too much involved in it.

Attachments