Blender Baking to Quixel Mixer

Hey all,

Looking to bake all necessary channels from Blender to Mixer. In trying to texture my table, I need different parts of the table to have different Mat Id’s correct? Mixer looks for Material Ids (it doesn’t work with UVs like Substance Painter **at least not to my knowledge).

How do I export/bake Curvature and Material Id maps out from Blender for Mixer to use?

I tried already, but the FBX and OBJ formats I tried didn’t contain Curvature or Mat ID.

If I assign two different textures, Mixer gives me an error and says it doesn’t support multiple textures yet…but the tutorials on Mixer seem to utilize differnt mat ids…or something…

Thanks!

I don’t have much experience of ID Maps, but you could assign temporary materials in Blender with nice bright contrasting colours and then bake a Diffuse image from those, which you can then load into Mixer as the ID Map

1 Like

Cool, I think this is what I’m looking to do. End goal being that I can select different parts of a mesh for unique materials (one UV map).

Can you please explain more detailed how you did it? I have same problem, loading few objects in one FBX file, and mixer thinks its one object…

Did you find a solution to this? As I’m trying to figure out the same thing. All the guides seem to say to use Toolbag, but that’s an expensive programme to pick up for this one task…

1. Make sure your object is UV unwrapped
  2. Create one material for each area you want to separate out. Make them different bright, contrasting colours
  3. Assign your materials to faces/parts of your object
  4. Open the Shader editor for the first material. Shft+A>Texture>Image Texture and click New, Give it an appropriate resolution and name it ID Map
  5. You don’t need to connect it to anything
  6. Copy that node and paste it into each of the other materials too
  7. You can open the UV editor select your new image and save it.
  8. Switch render engine to Cycles
  9. Choose the Render Prroperties tab and go down to Bake
  10. Change the Bake type to Diffuse
  11. Unselect Direct and Indirect leaving Colour
  12. Hit Bake
  13. You should now have an image you can load into Mixer and set as an ID Map… making sure you save it again first of course
  14. Delete the temporary materials before expoorting an FBX. Mixer doesn’t seem to like them being there.
  15. In Mixer load your FBX and load your ID map
  16. You should now be able to mask materials and stuff by ID mask

1 Like

I’m using TexTools to speed-up the process.
It comes already with all the maps I need and, from the first tests I did, it’s working just fine with Quixel Mixer

Ahh I see, it’s not as straightforward as toolbag… but then it’s also free, so I shouldn’t complain! I’ll save this for later.

1 Like

Interesting addon! Haven’t seen that one mentioned when I was looking for answers to this online, xNormal was mentioned a couple times but then didn’t seem to do what I needed. I’ll give TexTools a closer look, thanks.

Yes, I used it in 3ds Max and I’m happy to see it’s available for Blender as well.

By the way, how are you liking Quixel Mixer?
I was excited when they announced 2020. After trying it at first I felt there wasn’t much, but it’s their first release towards a painting application. Now I’m looking at it more carefully and I really like it.

Then yesterday I watched this and it started to finally make sense:

I’ve found a slightly more simple way using Vertex Colours.

1. Select all faces you want to be one colour on the ID map. Go into Vertex Paint mode and click the Paint Mask (Face Selection) button at the top and hit Shift+K. It should fill. Optionally it’s a good idea to create a palette of colours in case you want to add something later with the same colour.

2. Repeat the above for additional colours

3. Create one single material. In it add a Vertex Colour node and pipe that into the shader’s diffuse input. Make sure you select ‘Col’ in the dropdown in vertex colour.

From there it’s just a case of adding in a new empty image to bake to and baking as above

2 Likes

I have, so far, spent about the same amount of time trying to log in to the program, as I have actually using it haha.

Mostly this is because their verification captcha system on the app seems to be broken, lagging for 30-40 seconds per stage… which isn’t good when it times out if you don’t finish within 2 minutes!

I like the things I’ve seen on it though. You can make realistic textures in a non destructive way, which is always a nice feature to have. Personally I’ll probably end up trying to use it for more stylized texturing (which I believe it can handle, i’ve seen good results but not sure how to emulate them yet).

My current issue is making the models I make actually have the correct mesh/geometry to unwrap properly so it can even get into Mixer in the first place! I thought I’d made so much progress recently, but there always seems to be another hurdle lol. Currently have a new thread up about getting feedback on things I should be doing on models to make them ‘mixer ready’.