Blender Blackout???

Sometimes when I pause from working with blender (maybe to read through a tutorial or go to the little boys room) I have a black blender window when I come to get back to work. It looks like the python window, it has the program name and the little boxes to minimize or close the window, but it’s totally black.

Is there anything that can be done to fix this?

I am running Blender 2.42a on Windows XP.

John

Is the program rendering something?

In my case if i’m doing a really big render the main Blender window goes black but if you cancel the render it pops out of it in a few seconds.

yeah it does it to me too just wait for it to finish, you’ll know when you coputer speeds up again. Then close the render window and press F11 to bring it back up and it’ll be fixed. At least that’s what I do.

I understand that you might get a blank screen when rendering but this is happening when the program is not doing anything but waiting for me to come back to work.

Also, how do you cancel a render. I haven’t been able to do that. I just wait for it to finish.

J

You put the mouse over the render window and press esc. Also, you said “pause”, right? I doubt it, but are you perhaps pressing “p” when you leave? If so, you’re starting the game engine, and you just need to press esc to fix it. However, I don’t think that that’s what is happening, it’s just a possibility.

Well, if you close that black window, you’ll end up shutting down Blender. That’s the console window (or whatever it’s called), it displays various bits of info output by Blender.

When you get back to your computer, is the window already maximized? Or, do you select Blender from the Taskbar and get this window? Blender will have two items in the Taskbar (console and application).

A screenshot might help.

Hey guys, it happened again yesterday.

Crusader, I meant, “pause” like “take a little time away from Blender”. I’m not pressing anything when I leave. When I get back none of the keys work. The whole thing is black and frozen.

Kernond, the window is maximized. The Blender work window looks just like the Python window (without the words), it’s just black. The Python window stays operational. In fact I shut down Blender by clicking on the little “x” up in the right hand corner of the Python window.

You know, I looked around a bit and I don’t see anyone with this problem. I’m beginning to wonder if it is a Blender problem or a compuetr problem.

J

Do you have a screensaver? If yes, does is start before you return?

This sounds like it may be a video driver issue.