Blender Cabinets - a Quick Panel for constantly used Options and Rids of some Menu Diving

I Decided to make an add-on that basicly Readds the Menu that would of been to the left when a person was using 2.79 that had useful buttons for things that person would usually be doing quite a bit

download it from the Github page https://github.com/leobaker202/Blender-Cabinets

(Options availabile change based on the mode you’re in, haven’t added others yet tho)

2 Likes

Moved it for you.

Isn’t Quick Favourites menu enough for that?

2 Likes

The Point of this add-on is making it so all the most used options are right there without having to constantly Menu dive over and over

currently working on adding this in armature edit mode

Replace menu dive with a panel dive?.. What’s the difference? Quick favourites menu at least appears at mouse position on the last used item and is context sensitive. I don’t get it… :person_shrugging:

2 Likes

hmm lets see, the buttons you need always exist and you don’t have to non-stop be doing shortcuts just to open a menu and do the thing you wanna do, even more irritating when its a menu inside a menu inside a menu

Also the fact that because the buttons are just right ther making it more faster to do what you’re tryin to do?

am actually just gonna go ahead and say it even if maybe it might not completely fit

Thats basicly like telling a musican that accessing a Menu to get to options that they wanna use is no different then having a panel with all the buttons and stuff they have to constantly use to shape the sound they’re trying to make, because those 2 things are not the same, and one is quite faster then the other (The Panel)

since Menu diving is also something that is the bane of most musicans existences since just having the buttons you need right there to shape the sound you’re trying to make, is much faster and quicker then having to menu dive to change something like say the cutoff filter, or resonance filter

and here for 3D modeling am pretty sure the same stuff applys here, also the fact i made this since having to menu dive for me at least is both irritating, time consuming and just slow, even with using hotkeys

and usually is much quicker and faster for me having the buttons right there while am working on the model, even more since they dynamicly change based on what am doing, so if am in edit mode it’ll change to what i’ll need in edit mode, if am in object mode it changes to what i need in object mode, etc etc

Nope. Making it possibly faster for how YOU are trying to work, but you’re talking as if everyone is like you, and works like you, which isn’t so. Isn’t so for musicians either, but they’re entirely irrelevant here.

Let me explain why my view differs.

I understand that for some people hotkeys are not ideal. You sound like you might be one of them. I’m not one of them. I love the hotkey system Blender has in place and generally think the assignments make sense (and if I hate something I can change it). The first few weeks learning Blender were tough and indeed had plenty of annoying menu dives because I didn’t know what was where and felt totally overwhelmed; I grouched about the complexity of the interface. Then I found F3. Then Quick Favorites. And now I know where most everything is and it’s become quick and easy. Menu diving is something I only do for stuff I am not familiar with yet.

Your buttons aren’t necessarily “right there”; only if I’ve already tabbed into your add-on tab. But I often use other parts of the NPanel, so there’s no guarantee that your tab is on top when I might need it. Therefore it’s a panel dive. It moves my focus and means an extra click. A button is not as fast as a memorized hotkey; I know the hotkeys for every operation I do regularly, and it’s not slow at all, even 3 or 4 deep: Amc creates a cube, Amp creates a plane, Amsa creates a single vert (oops, you don’t have that), Acb creates a Bézier curve (you don’t have that either – I use verts and curves a lot), ALT-nf for flipping normals is faster for me than navigating to a tab and then to some button whose location I now have to memorize so I can be reasonably quick – and a big problem is that I have to look at the buttons instead of looking at my object. It disrupts my flow. That’s really the reason why I love hotkeys; they don’t distract my attention elsewhere.

Also, I’m loath to clutter up my NPanel (which is already overcrowded) with an additional panel when Quick Favorites is not a “menu dive” but a single keypress away, popping up right under my mouse/pen (so I don’t have to move my hand and eyes away from my focus and then back), and maybe even more importantly, QF is completely customizable, because I can decide what operations I want there instead of relying on an add-on to give me what mix of operations the add-on developer cherishes for himself. I see a bunch of stuff on your panel for which I know the hotkeys, and some stuff I don’t use often enough to be worth a special place. Suzanne? I don’t even know the hotkey (I bet it’s Amm though); I never use that thing.

And QF is context-sensitive as well – it sounds to me like you’re simply not very familiar with it.

I’m not arguing with you making an add-on to suit yourself – more power to you, well done, and it might be useful for people who work similarly to you; it’s nice of you to share it. You don’t have to defend yourself for liking it the way you did it; that’s totally ok. But allow some room in your mind for people’s differences. Your method isn’t faster, never mind “much faster” for those of us who use hotkeys and QF constantly and have it set up just the way we like it. And let’s not even get into custom pie menus, then it becomes religious. :crazy_face:

2 Likes

actually it is for musicans too, considering what i said regarding musicans wasn’t from my own opinion but legitmently mentioning the hate that most musicans appearntly have for menu diving in synthesizers

and i said myself in my own post that part of why i made it is because me working with the hotkeys and stuff was slow for me when most of them just open some verison of a menu, and regardless am still adding stuff to it that isn’t even just for my own needs but for anyone elses, The add-on just currently isn’t finished yet really i mean, Technicly it is, but am still working on updating it

and Yes, i am already aware that the way everyone works on stuff is different, the Point i was just making is that the whole thing is still a bit slower, usually anything That has all the options you need right there is going to be a bit faster, more so as long as it isn’t a confusing / non-sensical mess to navigate

since a person moving the mouse vs using a hotkey isn’t likely gonna have much of a different (except in the case when that said hotkey opens another menu requiring them to then move the mouse after using the hotkey basicly requiring 2 steps to do what could only really use 1 step to do resulting in the proccess for whatever it is being done at least speed up a bit more, maybe not by alot but still)

and The whole N-Panel thing likely wouldn’t be an issue if i was able to figure out a proper place to put it aside from N-panel since i was originally going to make the add-on like shelves from Maya even having the ability for the person to add There own items to the shelves, but of course Serpens 3 currently cannot make custom Area’s, which is why it got stuck in the N-panel instead and why am currently just opting to make it something similer to what was in 2.79, just with more options then what that Originally offered

also, am getting sick of the Fact that with every single thing i try to do, it just starts to turn into some kind of agrument of fight regarding what am doing or questioning what am doing that shouldn’t even be happening in the first place, like freaking why am i just not able to do my own thing without somethin like that happening for some freaking reason

I thought you must be doing shortcuts non-stop if you want to use Blender with any meaningful speed. :smiley:

yes, shortcuts can be useful, but if its just to open another menu to do somethin like say subdividing a mesh, it’d prob be better to just have the button there since a person would still be moving the mouse to click somethin either way, would just require one less step to do whatever it is instead

Ctrl + 1 , 2 , 3 … buttons are there on the keyboard in object mode and S button is also there on the keyboard after right-clicking in edit mode. I suppose I see now - if you don’t use hotkeys, the panel makes sense. But using hotkeys will be faster. It’s worth learning them.

1 Like

i do use hotkeys, i just got tired of using the hotkeys that just open more menus (that sometimes lead to even more menus) that have to be opened each time when am trying to work on a mesh

1 Like

I don’t know… That panel just seems like a very cumbersome way to reach stuff compared to other ways like hotkeys, quick favourites menu or other options like pie menus or even search. At least to me personally.

i do know if i was able to i would try to make it look similer to this

(This is Alias Power animator, The original verison of maya before maya existed)

and no not the exact way the software itself looks but just refering to the side panel and stuff (and maybe the bottom panel tho i’d prob opt to put that above like it is in maya unless it were more fitting to be on the bottom for one reason or another, not that it matters as it seems this isn’t possible to do in Serpens 3 currently anyways if i wanted to make a custom Area so am just stuck using the N-Panel instead

1 Like

Why am i not able to edit my own post?, since i need to update the images and download (IF i am unable to do so, just make sure to go to the github link to get the latest verison of it)

is now currently verison 1.0.5, Download is available on the github link

Can you edit the download link so it just goes to the github page? instead of having 2 different ones, one of them just being an outdated verison

i would keep updating it myself but doesn’t allow me to edit it any further which is irritating for trying to keep the info on it up to date

Sorry, Regulars like me can only edit titles and tags, and move posts to other categories; we cannot edit the text of posts.

You should be able to edit it yourself – you’ve only done it 6 times, and one can usually edit way more often than that (I’m up to 34 on my most edited post). What happens when you try?

Moderators can edit your text, I believe, so in case there is something wrong here that I can’t see, I’ll ping @joseph for you.

1 Like