Blender can not save image file?

It took so long time to render about 920 frames. I have a folder that contains those 920 images. I wanted to continue rendering but I got this error message:

Render error (Invalid argument) cannot save: the path where I usually save files’

I went to open this folder but I can’t find any of the 920 frames. It’s just an empity folder!

Did blender delete all those frames? Is there any way to restore them? Why does this happen?

I use blender V2.79 and Linux Mint 17.

Thank you,

Low-hanging fruit (to rule out the easy possibilities):

• Does you user have permission to write files to that folder (test by making a text file in there or something)?
  • What file format have you chosen to save to?
  • Have you checked /tmp to make sure the files weren’t accidentally put there (since that’s the default render path)?
  • Is this a network mount of a local disk?
1 Like
  • Does you user have permission to write files to that folder (test by making a text file in there or something)?
    In the past, yes. Now, it seems no. I tried making a text file but I receive the following message:
    Error opening file ‘my directory is here’: Input/output error

• What file format have you chosen to save to?
    JPEG (.jpg)

• Have you checked /tmp to make sure the files weren’t accidentally put there (since that’s the default render path)?
    IDK where its location is. Anyway, I went to “File system” partition. Then, I opened a folder called “tmp”. Nothing is there. Every time I render, images go to the specified folder on my hard but they disappeared now!.

• Is this a network mount of a local disk?
    A single computer with single H.D.

So this is most likely the source of your problem. Are you rendering to a folder that’s in your home directory, or somewhere else in the wider filesystem?

1 Like

Are you rendering to a folder that’s in your home directory, or somewhere else in the wider filesystem?
I was rendering to a folder that’s in an NTFS partition.

From now on, I’ll change the rendering folder to be under Home.
After restarting PC and running this code, the images are restored:

sudo ntfsfix /dev/sda5

Thank you so much for your help :slight_smile:

1 Like