Blender Clothing Tutorial, part 1 - Finished

This is just a start of the first Blender Clothing Tutorial. At first, I planned on just posting it in Elysiun when I got done, but I think it may be a bit too long.

Even though the tutorial is long, the technique is very basic, so it may not satisfy everyone. I have some ideas for a follow up garment tutorial (Blender Clothing Tutorial, part 2) that will create a garment from scratch and texture it, but if anyone has some clothing item they would like to see modelled and textured, I’ll see what I can do.

Caution: Mild nudity
http://www.gottahavacuppamocha.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=6#6

EDIT: The tutorial is finished and at the URL above. It has 36 Images and should be a good starting point for making clothes in Blender. I will probably start on Part 2 tonight/tomorrow and work on it through the week.

Good start barista. I would make one suggestion though . A good approach may be to start with garments that would be easy for a beginning sewer to understand. Such as a tee shirt, a skirt, a simple dress, or some simple slacks. I work with design myself…and while I understand the direction you are going with the bathing suit, I am not sure how many members here may.

please no flaming me for that last comment anyone…

Just a hint - rather than scaling out the copy of the body mesh, try using Alt-S (Shrink/Fatten) which scales along the vertex normals (recalc normals with Ctrl N beforehand to be sure). This will fit the original surface much better.

I’m mainly doing this because it is the first technique I came up with to develop clothes. It’s easy, though it can be tedious at times. I think it could be a good starting point for noobs.

For the next tutorial, I do intend on making somethig from scratch. I might do the lace nightie that I was working on during the lace texturing tests, but I am also considering a cheongsam, a ladies suit (two piece sleeves), or some kind of evening dress.

In the next tutorial I will probably also go over things like darts and seams, although in the 3D world they may not make a difference since they usually won’t be seen unless the render is close up. (It does work well for the LSCM)

I could be wrong, but I think people who want to make clothes in Blender (or any other 3D program) fall into two groups. The first group is composed of people who have backgrounds in apparel/costume design who want to use 3D as a way to visualize a garment before going through the time and expense of actually creating it. The second group is composed of people who have backgrounds in 3d/graphic/illustration, who want to make garment look realistic, but don’t necessarily need or want to know the ins and outs of apparel construction. The first tutorial would be a good starting point for the former, because it can be extrapolated into other designs, such as a t-shirt.

That said, so far the first tutorisl is pretty long (with 15 screenshots) and it is only going to get longer. It also only covers a simple garment. Since the next tutorial will cover a more complex garment (with texturing), it will take a lot more work. I could probably make it simpler, but I like the long tutorials with details. I know I have run into tutorials elsewhere that always seem to miss something, and leave me hanging. I’m hoping that a noob reading this tutorial will be able to go into Blender and create something that looks like the garment in the tutorial, and with a minimum of problems.

Another issue might be the level of detail. I’ve still got my old textbooks from school that show all kinds of things like dart placement, sloper creation, different kinds of sewn seams, different types of stitches. Too much detail might overwhelm the reader (arguably the first tute could fall under this) and too little detail the tutorial isn’t effective. The more feedback I get, the better tutorial I can write (I hope). Since this was the first tute, I’m going into it blind (so to speak).

Anyway, it’s not a rant or a flame…just an explanation.

As far as the ALT+S goes, I’ve never tried that, so I’ll keep it in mind…Learn something new everyday.
:slight_smile:

I just thought of this. Since I heard that the web was scant on the subject of apparel design and construction, here are some books to look into at a library or bookstore.

Reader’s Digest Complete Guide to Sewing - It can be found most places, as it’s a pretty common book on the subject. You could probably pick one up at a used bookstore ro check one out at the library.

Apparel Manufacturing: Sewn Product Analysis, Ruth Glock & Grace Kunz - I have a copy of the Second Edition, which was published by Merrill/Prentice Hall. It covers more in depth stuff like different classes of seams and stitches, etc. It is more geared towards people working in the apparel industry because it also covers equipment, sourcing, laws, etc. Still, it is a good resource.

Patternmaking for Fashion Design, Helen Joseph Armstrong. If I had only one book to recommend, it would be this one. A very stout book at 800+ pages, it was published by HarperCollins College Publishers. It covers the basics of clothing design to designing suits, children’s wear, and covers many, many details. I don’t know if it is still around, but it is very worthwhile.

I have other books, but these are probably the most useful.

I’m very happy for these to be as detailed as possible.

I often find that tutorials go from step 10 to step 20 in one go and that’s often where I get stuck.

I’m getting a little better now that I’m getting the hang of some of the modelling techniques a little, but it can still leave me frustrated.

I love the effort by the way.
At the moment I’m grabbing tutorials that I like and transferring them to Word docs for my own benefit. This means that I can print them out and put them in a binder and it also means there is less chance of me losing them somewhere on the world wide web. :smiley:

Caleb

I wholeheartedly endorse this effort…for a cost of $5.00…just kidding :smiley:

I’m glad you like it. I know when I am learning something new on the computer - Blender or otherwise - I usually have a manual in my lap and my hands on the keyboard and mouse.

Enjoy.

BTW the tute of the Blenderkini top is now completed. I’m starting work on the biniki bottom, but it is just a rehash of the top…lots of pics with only a sentence or two of description. Think of it as a review of the techniques :smiley:

Let me put it this way, Barista… you could have a good selling book here. You happen to have knowledge in a specialized skill. Being able to apply it to computer graphics, as you obviously can, and to be able to explain it, as again you obviously can, could be … profitable. :smiley:

:expressionless: :slight_smile:
Gee, thanks. I don’t know about a book. I think my writing skills for the tutes tend to be repetitive, although I appreciate the thought. Maybe they can be included in a future Blender manual or a specialized blender manual.

What I would like is to do some stuff similar to what Zygote and other companies do for Poser - selling props, textures, etc to people who don’t have time/skill to create their own. OTOH, I’m all for Open Content and have quite a few of my models available for download at http://downloads.gottahavacuppamocha.com/pafiledb.php. Haven’t got the models for the tutorials up yet, but I plan on doing that soon (maybe this weekend).

gottahaveacuppamocha.com appears to be offline in this section due to some PHP/database-login glitch… :frowning:

Warning: Unknown(/home/barista/www/forums/viewtopic.php): failed to open stream: Permission denied in Unknown on line 0

Warning: (null)(): Failed opening '/home/barista/www/forums/viewtopic.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/local/share/pear:/usr/local/lib/php') in Unknown on line 0

Another option if you’re up to it, barista, is to make one or more video tutorials for the Blender tutorial pages over at www.blender3d.org. This way you don’t have to worry about having too much or too little content, as can happen with written/illustrated docs. Viewers can simply follow right along with you.

If you’re interested, there is a video tutorial there that shows how to make a video tutorial if you’re not familiar with the genre. The link is here:

http://www.blender3d.org/cms/Miscellaneous.477.0.html

I agree heartily. These should be hosted in blender3d (and/or elysiun).