Blender Color Management

Hello all,

Does anyone have a good solution they can share for blender’s lack of color management? Basically trying to make the viewport and render output consistent with slightly wider sRGB ICC profile on windows 11 and coming up short.

Thanks!
alex

Filmic is a better system than sRGB. Filmic is currently going through upgrade and ACES was written for what you’re looking for. AgX Is better than Filmic and easier to use than ACES imho but I don’t currently have the link in front of me.

I recommend AgX personally

Hope that helps :slightly_smiling_face:

I am confused about what exactly you are looking for.

Well this is broad. Blender does have some color management problems. Like when you drag and drop an EXR into the viewport as an “empty”, you have no way to view that EXR with a proper view transform, it is a hardcoded sRGB inverse EOTF transform. Like after you change the workings space to something other than the current Linear BT.709, the vertex painting tools seems to still paint sRGB values regardless of what the OCIO roles are, etc.

Blender surely has its problems, just not sure which one you are talking about.

This is where I get confused.

What does this mean? Do you mean you want to be able to assign ICC profile to the saved Tiff file?

What does “slightly wider sRGB” mean? Wider than what?

Or are you talking about view transform?

Basically I am not sure what you are asking about.

I am also using filmic and happy with it atm. Will have to check it out. Thank you!

Hi! I was referring to the lack of native color management in blender. For instance when viewing an image in render mode and rendering that image out, the image in blender and the one on windows look different. The one in blender has more contrast and the one viewed on windows is more flat and with less contrast. This can be fixed by using a plugin that embeds the display’s icc profile in the final render, but still…was wondering if there’s a way to make blender take into account the calibrated display’s profile so what you see is what you get in the final render. Hope that makes more sense. And thanks for your feedback!

First of all Windows’ color management is awful.

Here is an image produced by an older version of my version of AgX (it looks different in my latest version now):

As you can see, the Windows image viewer is an absolute mess on a calibrated monitor. So maybe you can try some alternative image viewers like Irfan View etc. My friend told me HoneyView is also good, I haven’t tried it though.

Regarding embedding ICC profiles, @dracoroot7 should have some experience on this, maybe he can help.

I’ve had excellent results with Honeyview, I’d also recommend it :slight_smile:

1 Like

you can tag your images in krita; the saved files had the correct color tags in the picture. (though I had trouble on my end you might have better luck) . You can also tag your pictures using Imagemagik with the “convert image.jpg -profile sRGB.icc rgb_image.jpg” command. (the method that worked for me). But if your trying to get acurate color in blender or any other grading apps you should calibrate your monitor toward the output standard (srgb, rec709, p3, etc…)

I’m happy here with Kubuntu and Mint. Sadly the developer of Dispcal GUI stopped keeping the project and I see it will be difficult to keep the monitor well calibrated as for me is really hard to make it by command line. :cry::cry::cry::cry:

thanks for the feedback! it works fine on my end when I use the add-on in blender to embed the icc profile, but when i upload to google drive it looks super dark - the shadows get crushed…so i havn’t been able to figure out the why but this certainly wasn’t an issue before i upgraded to win 11

Another one with problems because of Blenders missing colormanagement, I have the same problems, although on a Mac. I use Apples Colorsync tool to add the colorprofile of my monitor to the rendered file, that comes at least very close. But for professional use, if you work with others, a color management for Blender is much needed. And no, i am not talking about Lut’s like filmic or about tonemapping, thats mostly post processing.