Blender Community Movie?

Does anyone think that we’ll ever see a Blender movie where everything is out in the open during the development process? Sort of like how software is developed. You’d have to have knowledgeable people at the top guiding the process, but the rest of us could contribute at every stage and make recommendations that would have to pass through a hierarchy before being reviewed by the folks at the top. All the .blend files and everything else could be made available to anyone at any time. Possible?

The problem with this is that if everyone knows the script it is unlikley that they will want to watch the movie. Afterall it is the story that counts everything else is just the way to deliver it.

The problem with this is that if everyone knows the script it is unlikley that they will want to watch the movie. Afterall it is the story that counts everything else is just the way to deliver it.

Yeah, but I’m thinking that anyone would be able to contribute at any stage, including everything from writing the script to compositing.

The idea that people on a forum like this could create a product that could compete against Hollywood movies is just mind boggling to me.

I think CG is the perfect way to create an open movie. You can’t download a Hollywood actress, but you can certainly download meshes, armatures, etc.

www.openworldfilm.com
check it out. We are doing basically what you’re saying.

HARDHEAD11,

You sure did find this thread quick.

It wouldn’t be fair of me to suggest this without being able to show some commitment and contribute something.

Does anyone think that we’ll ever see a Blender movie where everything is out in the open during the development process?

During development? I don’t think so, not really. There are two Blender community based open movie projects in progress right now, both have more or less retreated from the “open from the beginning to everyone” idea to “open to the development team.”

Animation is time-consuming. It’s very seductive to imagine that putting a community to work will cut the time down, but in reality putting the community to work simply substitutes time spent communicating to make sure everyone’s on the same page for time spent animating.

As the team grows in size, the communications requirements grow exponentially, since one new person adds (size-of-team) number of new communication links. If the team doesn’t organize itself the communication tasks can completely swamp the animation production tasks, and nothing gets done, just talked about.

Most teams discover that controlling this phenomenon requires setting up communication firewalls, breaking the team into specialized units, restricting inputs, communicating one to many instead of many to many, all of which tends to require controlling access to creative product during development.

the problem with such an idea (and I know it first hand, since I started such a project a couple year ago…which failed miserably, like every other project like that. i.e. Countdown to Extinction and The Crosswalk project to name just them…) is the same problem that “true and total democracy” has.

Time.

Having a team of 6-7 artists working under a single Director works perfectly. Why? Because The director decides. He takes the decision, for the best or the worst, he takes them. Sure the 6 others can give suggestion, in “real-time” because they sit next to the director and HE, alone, can say “ok” or “no” quite fast. Even discussion and debate can occur, but it’s ok, because everything can be handled quite fast.

Problem with community based project is the feedback loop. everyone is in different timeline, and doesn’t work on the project within a stable “schedule”. Everyone giving out their suggestions to the “director” who lives thousands of miles away would be a very slow process. And even if it was clear from the beginning that everyone follow the orders from the Director without any question/suggestions, when the feedback loop of the director toward the work of the employee would be so damn slow that it wouldn’t be practical.

Let say you make a house for a project. First, the director and his artistic director draw some sketches. Then send them your way. You work on it, it takes you a few days because you work on and off…then you send in your work. The Director might not be at his desk at that moment (either sleeping or working on a “real” job)…it could take at between 15 and 20h before he sees your work, then he sends back his comments…it could take another 15-20h before YOU see his comments…and the loop continu like this until you made all the corrections. All the “house” modelling/texturing could take up to a week like this…while in a studio with a small team…it would basicly take less than a day because the director or artistic director would be supervising almost every step.

And this is only one of the several reasons why such project always end up dieing.
These project, IMHO, serves only 1 thing. Creates experience, and it builds up the skills of the participating artists by giving them a “continual” (because these projects never see the ends…) goal to work toward. Which motivate them to keep working…but this applies only to a minority (habitually the former creator of the project and 2-3 others no matter how big the group is) which end up hitting a wall when they find out they don’t have the manpower to convey such a big project.

I’d be glad tho that someone proves me wrong.

Maybe a better community project would be to brainstorm the guidelines by which a “community movie project” actually becomes feasible.

I think there have been enough “unsuccessful” projects to where some of the realized mistakes can be compiled into a helpful document. This type of documentation, if read, would help to increase the odds of success for future projects. Right now, it seems that most projects keep repeating the same mistakes realized by others. I think that’s why people are increasingly reluctant to take these start-ups seriously.

another_noob: It’s an attractive idea in theory, but I’ve never seen it work in practice, so I’d be inclined say No: I seriously doubt that we’ll see a “community movie”. That said, I still think that the Blender community is a great resource for somebody who’s trying to make a movie, and it should be used as such.

Well I re-iterate - www.openworldfilm.com is going strong.

Yes kbot, btw, I’m open to have that interview, it should be even more interesting in light of this thread.

Anyway, before I decided that i was going go to collage for the summer semester, I was actually thinking of starting an open project. No, the development wasn’t going to be open, just the work. There would be a team of 3-6 people, that was like me, a collage age student, not doing anything (yes, VERY rare, if any) that would be willing to spend a summer putting together a quick short. The only thing that would make it open, is that people could see our work, and submit things, but we were under no obligation to even aknowledge that the submisions even existed. The project would be entirely driven by the team of six.

But alas, I realized that I needed to go to school.

I was trying to think of the best way to proceed.

First of all, there needs to be a chain of command and you really need to have the best talent at the top. If a project really starts to get popular, you may need three or more tiers to ease potential communication problems. The Secretary to the President of General Motors isn’t going to let every call go through.

There should be a discussion of what went wrong with similar projects. The Wright brothers succeeded where others have failed.

Well I re-iterate - www.openworldfilm.com is going strong.
I haven’t really checked out the site thoroughly. I’ll have to spend some time checking it out. It does seem to me that all accepted files should be stored and made available at one location.

Just to keep this thread going, I’d like to suggest that people post Blender Movie Intros similar to what MGM and 20th Century Fox have used. This is something simple enough that the coordination doesn’t need to be too precise. I’ll try to get to work on an intro myself for others to use, modify or ridicule. Just something to keep the thread going and encourage discussion.

That is why im working on my project alone.

That is why im working on my project alone.

It might be good, but a good 2 hour movie might be a little more difficult for one individual.

20-30 min series, right now im working on the script, but hey thats just me :slight_smile:

Another thought!

Scratch the idea about a chain of command. What if there was no chain of command? Just chaos? Did you ever notice how a lot of forums have some variation of an Add Three Words Game (http://www.got-heroes.com/Add-3-words-to-Story-t97.html)?

I was thinking about something similar to that only to create a movie. Of course, there are problems. People are in different time zones. People dont’ get along because they have political differences, they have various ideas of what art should be, or they just plain don’t like each other. Some people prefer to work as a team. Whatever. What if there was a way to use all that chaos in a productive way instead of allowing it to grind a project to a halt?

The idea is to create something that will definitely follow several paths to failure but might also succeed. What I mean is you start out with something simpler than a script. Just a short animation of some sort. The only restriction on it’s use is that whoever adds something to it, must also allow others to use their own work also without restriction. So you might have someone produce a short movie, and others want to add something to it. You might even have someone that wants to write a script and create a full length movie that builds on what’s been done. At some point, there may be people that have different opinions as to what to do next. If everything is done on a forum like this, when people want to take different paths, they can just post the link to a new thread on their variation within the original thread. This way you would allow a sort of branching out, yet people could always be adding new models, scenes, animations, etc. Any chance of this?

i think you have a missconception on the scale of such an project and of the variance in opinions, styles and work.

also reconsider this, there will be tons of ppl applying, some with no matching style or abilities to match the quality of the project.
for a project like this you cant use ppl that learn blender basics, you need professionals, and you can count those down on your fingers.

It just would be easier to assemble a team and take it from there, and thats how its done.

what you suggested above would just lead to 40 versions of the script and none of them will ever get finished, it doesnt solve anything, it creates more confusion.

also reconsider this, there will be tons of ppl applying, some with no matching style or abilities to match the quality of the project.
for a project like this you cant use ppl that learn blender basics, you need professionals, and you can count those down on your fingers.

I would say that anyone on a thread should be allowed to make suggestions. You may have people that have a mix of good and bad ideas. Once in a while, their opinions may be accepted.