Blender crashed on "User Preferences"

I have searched the forum and found that the problem is driver related. The suggestions is to try to access User Preferences with another way (or other ways) instead of from the File Menu, but no one seems to explain the other way. :frowning:

So what is the “other way?”

Thanks in advance for any suggestion.

but no one seems to explain the other way.
Really, I’ve lost count of the number of times I’ve said this.
Change an existing window to a user preferences window from the dropdown selector that is in the corner of every window.

Thanks, Richard.

Do you mean the selector in the top left corner? If so, it doesn’t seem to change anything after I selected “User Preferences.” In fact, it doesn’t seem to change anything with any selection (I have tried “Graph Editor,” “Text Editor” and “Properties,” but nothing seem to change).

I am using the latest Blender (just downloaded yesterday) and Windows 7 on Dell Laptop.

This driver issue is driving me nuts. In my case, it makes no difference how you access user preferences, it will always crash when you switch to the system tab or switch to cycles.

And while it may ultimately be a driver problem, it is extremely frustrating that blender 2.61 and prior works fine on the system, cycles doesn’t crash, and so on. From what I have gleaned, blender tries to query all potential computing devices on 2.62+, rather than just the primary gpu, and it is this behaviour that exposes whatever the driver issue may be.

Support tickets keep getting shut down because it is blamed on the user’s system, but from a practical standpoint, if they could introduce an option prevent the system from querying multiple devices and retain the 2.61 behaviour, it would make a lot of our lives easier. If the system has a crappy gpu or driver, chances are we are going to be using cpu-only for cycles anyway, so let us just side-step the messy OS-driver situation altogether. (BTW I’m not talking about the compute device option in the preferences, as that just lets you choose the device, but the querying seems to happen even when just CPU is selected… and indeed seems to occur before you can even get to that preference screen anyway)

Either that or can someone in the know on these types of things offer some advice on how to hunt down the problematic drivers? I’ve already spent a while making sure the admittedly-awful intel hd 3000 drivers are up to date, and that there are no unwanted nvidia or ati drivers accidentally on the system. And as I said, if it was simply a matter of the intel driver not being up to the task, why does it work fine for 2.61?

Anyway, I’m just really hoping someone can help out on this issue! Thankyou so much!

If no one is working on this one, one day I might try. I am a software/hardware engineer, but it has been a while since I worked with Open-GL and drivers. Besides, I am still just learning Blender and am not even sure what I should expect…

So what is the User Preference screen suppose to look like? Right now if I try to change to User Preference from the dropdown selection, the system doesn’t crash, but the screen remains the same (except the top menu bar seems to change). I don’t see anything that allows me to change any preference.

Hey again,

I am guessing from your description you were attempting to change the top bar region to preferences (would have been the icon in the top left.) Since this region only shows the menu bar by default, you would have to drag the region down to reveal the full preferences window, similar to the way it was done in 2.49 and prior. Or even better try changing the window type for a different region like the 3d viewport itself.

I also wanted to report after fiddling some more this afternoon, I was able to get blender running crash-free! After trying to update the graphics driver a couple of times with no apparent benefit, I actually just deleted the driver entirely from my system (this was for an intel hd 3000). After rebooting, blender was working! This particular machine was a rack mounted render node with no connected monitor, so whatever default drivers came with windows seemed to be plenty sufficient. I’m sure if it was a workstation though, I might have needed to continue digging, although on a workstation one might have more options for simply installing a better card!

Anyway, good luck in your troubleshooting!