Blender crashes every time I start it.

I was working in blender yesterday when I got this message: “blender.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close” and it crashed after that. When I tryed to open it again, I got the same message and it closed again. I uninstalled restarted, reloaded rebooted again, and then tryed running and still got the same message before it again crashed.

I cannot even start blender and I need it for a project that I am working on. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Could you give us more info on your system?

What version of Windows are you running?
Are any other programs having similar problems?

Sorry about that, I was in a rush.

I am running XP.

No other programs are crashing, just blender.

The weird thing about this is it just stopped running while I was using it and now it will not start up at all; the whole time I get the same error message.

This is a common problem caused by video drivers. Make sure you have the most recent drivers for your system.

You could try downloading another version of Blender. First, check out what your crash log says. I don’t know how you access the console in Win XP, though. It might be an OpenGL driver or VRam issue - if you have 8MB VRam or less, try setting the display to thousands of colours.

So, it was working before?

Perhaps, a corrupt start file?? I am not sure if it is still used in the latest versions, but try doing a search on your system for the .B.blend file (make a back up of it in some temp directory) and then delete it.
Then try running Blender, it should re-create a default start up file.

Yes, it was working before; it crashed while I was in the middle of using it and it has not run since.

Alright I fixed it. If anyone else has the same problem, here is what you should do: uninstall blender THEN search and hunt down all the folders it left behind; erase them.

I’m back!