Blender CVS

(lococobra) #1

Ok, I looked enough… what in the world is Blender CVS??? I went to all the sites mentioned by other people, and it just goes right over my head. :-?

(Duoas) #2

CVS == concurent version system. It’s a database managment system which allows multiple programmers to work on one or more versions of a program without clobbering each other’s work.

The ‘Blender CVS’ usually means BF-Blender, which is the version of Blender used for final testing of new things. Tuhopuu is similar, but used for highly experimental stuff (so it’s often unstable --prone to crashes and other irregularities).

You’ll need the CVS program to access the database and an appropriate C/C++ compiler to build it. See here for more.

Alternately, you can download the nightly BF-blender exe.

Hope this helps.

(lococobra) #3

Ok, that is basically the same message I got before… I dont understand why I would need a ‘concurent version system’ to for example have more controll over adding hair to models…

Also, what is BF Blender?

Thanks for the help.

(ReeVee) #4

In short CVS holds all of the c/c++ source code that can be compiled to create Blender. It has many of the new features that are being worked on for future releases of blender.

(Duoas) #5

I dont understand why I would need a ‘concurent version system’ to for example have more controll over adding hair to models…
You don’t.

Sorry, my response presumed too much.
The CVS and all that stuff is for the people coding Blender. If you’re only interested in using Blender, you can safely ignore the whole mess.

Some people like to go and get the latest stuff (new features not yet released because they might still have bugs in them). The only way to play around with the new stuff is to download the CVS.

Also, pay more attention when reading responses:

‘Blender CVS’ … means BF-Blender

BF-Blender … is the version of Blender used for final testing of new things.

(blazer003) #6

Just to add a little bit. Blender is always being worked on and new features are being added, not just when the main releases come out. The CVS is just about what it says. The current version, with all of the new features that are being worked on being implememnted. However, if you are not into coding, or at least not completely fluent in Blender, I don’t suggest trying the CVS releases. They still have a lot of bugs and uncompleted features in them, so it can be confusing if you don’t have a solid foundation of knowledge. It is true that the new hair system is much better, however it too is still not finished, and has very little documentation (though cog has written a good tutorial). Blender 2.4 alpha is on the Blender website now, if you go to the front page. Again this has some bugs, but it is more stable than the CVS (I think). If you want to mess with the new hair system, download that, but be aware that there are a lot of things you will have to figure out for yourself, and may get crashes and such.

(lococobra) #7

Sounds good, thanks.

(Duoas) #8

P.S. I’m wondering how you got that image in your sig. Pics in sigs are 100% banned here on Elysiun. Some people will respond less-than-kindly when they see it, including moderators.

[edit]Oh, I see it’s not in the sig. Sorry. Just don’t tack it on to the end of all your messages…[/edit]

(lococobra) #9

Oh, it actually is a sig… I’m sorry for putting it there and will remove it immediately.