Blender Dev support regarding GPU, Cuda error, or kernel error

Hi, may you check Cuda/Optix with other render software, like Luxcore or Octane for Blender, both free to use.
Some video editors and Photoshop use Cuda too, for example.
I had some problems with Blender and Cuda years ago but Octane does not work, so I was sure it was on my side.
No problems for me with Cycles on Windows 10/11 (Driver 371) and Linux (Driver 360).

Cheers, mib

1 Like

I have a GTX980 and a RTX2070, using Linux Mint with Nvidia driver 356 (not sure, I would need to check). No problems with both Cycles and Octane. I don’t render with the 980, just the 2070.

1 Like

Max3d uses Nvidia Cuda Scripts and does substance painter

Leveraging AI denoising, CUDA®, NVIDIA OptiX™, and Material Definition Language (MDL), Iray delivers world-class performance

Scroll to the bottom you will see it bolts on to Substance painter
https://www.irayplugins.com/iray-for-3ds-max/gallery

Just a basic Cube nothing more nothing less
Error top left corner

Have you tried deleting your optix cache?

yep striped back full clean uninstall and just using pro render and other 3rd party ones now less stress
thx for reply :slight_smile:

Is this factory defaults Blender with nothing else enabled? If that is what you are getting with the vanilla Blender then your issue is confined to your system, because that does not make sense otherwise. Do you also have other apps with GPU needs that are be open while using Blender?

Rename your Blender user folder C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender (Windows) and restart Blender, so it creates the whole user folder from scratch for a basic testing. Purge the Nvidia driver and reinstall following a system restart. Then enable Cuda and Optix accordingly to see if you still have an issue.

Uninstall of what? The optix cache is not in the Blender directory but can be found in:

C:\Users\YOURUSERNAME\AppData\Local\NVIDIA\OptixCache

1 Like

Good advice, but would it be strange if that is the problem since the user commented that it had also been tested in a different clean installation of Windows?

Yes, I missed that.
Though “clean install” can either be a real re-install with formatting c: and then re-installing from scratch or it can mean this other thing that windows does which is resetting to factory defaults or whatever it is called.
No idea if the latter kills the optix cache.

1 Like