Blender Development Fund

Sometimes I wonder if you even think about what you are typing.

How does number of downloads equate to money spent on marketing? I mean do you realize that there are other non official occurrences which can cause attention to be drawn to software? Do you understand what marketing is?

There was a game awhile back called Gothic. It was only in Germany at the time, but it leaked out onto the internet, was translated and put on popular download sites. Gamers in north america got their hands on it, and through word of mouth it became more popular. As a result, the publisher was willing to sell the second installment of that franchise to localized markets in the US and Canada. They didnt have to spend 1 dollar marketing the software to the NA market.

The point is not that people download blender through word of mouth and links to free programs on the net, but that marketing in this case is tied to who the market is that blender is reaching and how its tied to funding.

I dont think you grasp this concept.

Are you arguing that Blender should be marketed to 3D professionals instead of merely reaching hobbyists who are looking for a freebie program to doodle with? I’m pretty sure that most 3D Pros know about Blender already and are following its progress with interest. Right know Blender is only a few steps away from being taken up by the larger professional community who are currently spending millions on software for a production I reckon.

bigpilot,

Don’t bother getting too worked up about this issue.

The economic advantages of Blender are solid and obvious.

There are still logistic issues that keep Blender from becoming the unequivical standard but those petty obstacles are slowly deprecating as Blender develoopers slowly, staedily, and consistently progress.

Some people are afraid to let go of the good ole days of yore.

^This

@SaintHaven
If you’d be as busy with creating art, as with complaining about Blender, you could be a great artist with lot’s of stuff in the gallery here :slight_smile:

Maybe they’re biased. :stuck_out_tongue:

What ever happened to Andrew Price’s suggestions on improving Blender’s appearance, the main website and all that?

What did happen to that? That article is still applicable today, and I would love to hear Ton's thoughts about it. It seems to make sense, but there must be a reason why no action was taken. Perhaps they are waiting?

In response to his comment, I am suggesting that marketing is a conscious act which considers a target audience and it can either include professionals (studios looking for software solutions) and those who can actively contribute to Blender, whether monetary or otherwise. This can include everything from companies willing to donate to promote 3D production, governments giving grants, universities sponsoring blender development or pushing development projects. If official sources can reach out and target select, key audiences, it could increase the range of the development fund.

Ultimately, the comment intended to explain the full scope of marketing potential and target audiences that are most likely not being reached in any effective manner…and as such having a select number of downloads is not indicative of active or financially funded marketing.

Well if that isn’t an elitist and over assumptions snide comment, I don’t know what else is. I won’t be goaded into responding in the same manner as you have though.

Maybe the difference between us is that I work primarily in other applications and have no interest in presenting them here on a blender forum when blender was not used primarily in the asset creation.

To interpret my posts, all 283 of them (over the course of 4 years) as busy and complaining in nature…then I can only suggest you are not being honest much less rational in your assessment.

The badges should represent the kind of membership. This has nothing to do with the “donating member” status of blenderartists. If you think it’s nobody’s business, you don’t wear the badge (and I personally won’t), it’s as simple as that.

If you’re a member of the fund, that will cause at least me to hold your opinion in higher regard. It means that you put some of your money where your mouth is, instead of just producing hot air by the means of forum posts. I will give the same kind of recognition to anyone who contributes code or documentation, or who displays artistic skill or general helpfulness. And: The more, the merrier.

I’m pretty sure other people on this forum - even unconsciously - will act the same. It’s simply human nature.

I know that at least to some extent, that’s what’ll happen because I see it now in this forum with some of the more experienced users that are making a living doing this, think they’re better than some of the lesser experienced ones.

Well, if somebody is more experienced and actually makes some money, doesn’t that make it very likely that they are (professionally speaking) better than the lesser experienced ones? Is it as sin to believe that? Some people may be more or less modest about it, but that doesn’t objectively change it.

I have to add, when it comes to raise money for development Ubuntu does it right. Just look at the site you are greeted with when you want to download: http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop/questions?distro=desktop&bits=32&release=latest
I think this approach is brilliant, donating for what you want to improve, and something that is seen every time you download a new release!
(If this really should be before the download instead of after is deabatable though.)

harley does bring up a good point in that thread…hmmm.

I’d still rather pay directly for a feature I need.

Not a good idea in my opinion, a nice feature is one thing, core stability and maintenance (which is the thing the BF devs do a lot) is crucial and a requirement for all shiny features on top.

I just became a Bronze level funder. I also bought Mastering Blender, 2nd Edition, DVD training 11: Blender Inside Out, and a T-Shirt :slight_smile:
Can’t wait for them to arrive. Has anyone read the book or watched the DVD? Are they good?

I really don't know if I should be speaking up about this anyway. If you guys checked my profile, you know that I'm an old retired guy. That's why I've got no interest in going pro. Hell, when I was in school, computers were still 30 years off. I just got my first computer only 26 months ago. So that alone leaves me in amature status. But after 40 years in the work force, I just don't want to get back into the "rat race". But I love persuing my artistic capabilities through Blender and Photoshop. So for that reason, as of February, I will be a donating member. I just don't feel the need to broadcast it. If all of the members of this forum could donate just 10 dollars a month, that alone would generate almost 16 million dollars a year. But as I said before, the majority of users aren't making any money or still going to school.  Anyway, you guys are probably right and I bow to your expertice.

If you listen to the latest Blender Podcast, the subject is brought up. From what I remember a fundamental overhaul of Blender’s homepage is in the works… but definining even the goals of the ultimate Blender homepage isn’t necessarily easy. As we see in all these heated “greater good for Blender” discussions.

Regarding “waiting”, I mostly don’t think the BF has the same sense of urgency as some forum contributors. The whole project won’t stall and die next week unless 100 professionals start using Blender now.

I donate twice a year 50~100 euro each time, I think they are few bucks for the amazing software like blender is… hope to have the possibilities to donate more in the future!

I have not officially signed on as a monthly subscriber yet (although I am definitely considering it).

So for those of us who are not yet, at the very least, gold subcribers, I encourage all to purchase the many Blender related products that are offered in the Blender community as a way to help the Blender Foundation indirectly.

actually I was trying to become a silver fund raiser today but I am having problem with my paypal account… Hope Im gonna fix it anyway!

I think yes, a bit of donation more in general would be a big help, also little things.

By the way I also think that a bit more of “advertisement” would be a good thing. Also the idea of the tag next to the name is a good idea!

I have been casually wrestling with a particular concept and I thought I would share it since this is a thread topic with a subject regarding Development.

Because of the open source nature of Blender there seems to be an evolution of the average Blender user.

Traditionally there is a separation between the end-user base and the paid development team.

Because the Blender source is open end-user have the option to at a minimum learn Python scripting to add to their skill set thus creating a hybrid Blender end-user/developer.

Many advanced programmers recommend Python as a first computer programmin language for beginners because of it’s syntax and object-oriented structure.

So one thing Blender users can do to aid in the development of Blender is to casually learn Python even if you have no initial intention of spending any considerable time developing Python scripts.

It is recommended that you donate too as well but I am confident that Ton and Co. would appreciate it if more Blender users had a better understanding regarding the challenges they face in further developing Blender.

Can BA mods/admin stick a permanent Fat donate button at the top of the forum or something? :smiley:

I don’t think that many your decisions or opinions will be influenced by your python knowledge. I reckon that learning to script is only of real use to someone who’s willing to invest time to make their workflow a bit more pleasant. To automate those repetitive unique tasks which you end up doing in your own environment.
Learning how to place a button on the UI is nothing compared to writing an entire render engine.

I think the best way to help the devs is not by saying people should donate, but by organising (payed) blender events/tutorial websites that share their profits with blenderfoundation.

People are going to be more willing to donate if they get something out of it.

Reciprocation ladies and gentlmen