Blender Documentations...

There seems to be a few Blender Docs floating around on the internet, the two most complete being
http://www.blender3d.org/cms/Documentation.628.0.html
and
http://mediawiki.blender.org/

I think I would be wise to merge them, by focusing on the wiki documentation, maybe. This way, no work is wasted on writing up stuff that’s already there.

Upon closer inspection, it is obvious that the “Blender Documentation Volume I - User Guide” Aug 2005, is out of date compare to the wiki site. I propose a merge and somehow periodically compile the wiki site into a pdf manual, for offline viewing?

The documentation is now officially maintained on the mediawiki site, so your observation is absolutely right. There will be no merge, because the old manual will be just left in the state as it is.

The possibilities of creating a pdf or even a printed version of the documentation are a topic of discussion.

Help with the documentation is always welcome, and may it only be for grammar and spelling corrections. So simply go to
http://mediawiki.blender.org/index.php/Main_Page
create a account and follow the given instructions.

I propose a merge and somehow periodically compile the wiki site into a pdf manual, for offline viewing

Thanks for voluntering to merge and periodically compile the wiki site into a pdf manual. Where can we download it…?

I see. I’ll sure help out with the documentations even though English is not my first language.

from the link:
User’s Manual [.de] [.es] [.fr] [.it] [.fi]

Perhaps you are better at one of these incomprehensible foreign tongues!

Adding [.cn] to the list would be a HUGE undertaking for me…

Adding [.cn] to the list would be a HUGE undertaking for me…

Perhaps, but it would be of great benefit to our Canadian users!

/me runs away laughing

I didn’t know there are 1 billion Chinese speaking people living in Canada :o

No one is in a hurry to put the effort into creating a PDF so closes to the lanch of 3.4. But it a safe bet that it wont take long for them release something after 3.4 is released. but if you want make a [.cn] i’m sure it wount take long for some of the other 1 billion canadian chinse to catch the vision.

[quote=“soylent_gr”"]

How about questions and comments to the documentation pages author. I still find that some of those pages have what I call. “Expertese” on them

No offense to you alabandit. I REALLY mean that. But this is a perfect example of the problems with blender documentation and tutorials in my mind “No one is in a hurry to put the effort into creating a PDF so closes to the lanch of 3.4” 3.4??? See some simple proof reading would have corrected that. Once again alabandit I just used your post as an example. But when you are reading a tutorial or the documentation and you have to read the same paragraph three times just to understand what the author is saying it’s frustrating. Never mind actually understanding the blender concept he is trying to present.

I know you probably meant blender vesion 2.4 but imagine a brand new person to blender reading that and thinking that he way a full whole number behind in version??

I know you probably meant blender version 2.40.

for the cn version try http://www.blendercn.org/

i hate beening phyci, i keep for getting what version we on :wink:

The documentation is now officially maintained on the mediawiki site, so your observation is absolutely right. There will be no merge, because the old manual will be just left in the state as it is.

It would be nice if you could copy-paste the sections that are currently empty in the mediawiki version (e.g. several sections in the Armature part). It’s annoying to go to the mediawiki version to look for something just to discover that the section is empty, and then having to go and look in the old manual instead. I usually go directly to the old manual for this reason. Outdated material is better than no material.

Also, the main blender site should be cleaned up because it’s pretty confusing. You can find two different versions of the manual under Infocenter->using blender->Manuals & Books and Download->Documentation respectivly, the latter seems (from the date at the top) to be more up to date. These should be removed or put under “old manuals”, and a link to the mediawiki should be put there instead.