Blender edit mode performance problems. Updated: kind of resolved

Well then what you have to do is break your object down into smaller objects and hide those.

1 Like

After some more experiments, this time subdividing suzanne and not a simple cube I do have noticeable delay ā€“ not quite as much as yours - at 1,250,000 vertexes (3,000,000tris), with a 50k vertex group, but that is a LOT of geometry for one object.
At 3,000,000 verts it was unmanageable
I think breaking up the object or simplifying geometry is the way to go.
Funnily enough I went into sculpt mode and it sculpted very quickly, I know Pablo did a lot of work on how things were updated during strokes, hopefully the devs could do something similar for edit mode one-day.
Merry xmas to all!

1 Like

Yeap, sculpting are way-way more faster on my side also.

Norman, what processor you are using? I make some test with some friend which have i9 9900k. On his side everything work smooth.
Maybe selecting just heavily depends on single core performance where inter are beter than amd.

intel i7 -3770
edit: I thought the 3900x had 12 cores

Thats correct. 3900x 12 cores / 24 threads.
I dunno, i think the problem are defenitely on my side, but dont know in which direction to move.
Changing GPU drivers from GDR to Studio doesnt change anything. Maybe gtx1060 are problem but im not sure.

I do not think it is GPU related mine is much worse than yours.
I am sure Stan is right, he has much more knowledge than I have.
Your freinds i9 has a faster processor.
The big difference between your system and mine is windows vrs linux. In every other aspect your specs are better.
I know for a windows user linux will not work for your other software but you could try getting a second HD (maybe you have an old one lying around) and install linux on it to make a dual boot system, to see if it makes a big difference. If you google blender windows vrs linux there are many comparisons.
Edit: changing to Linux is not a magical a solution, as Stan says edit mode does lag for all of us, unfortunately that is where we are at.

If unchecking OpenGL selection doesnā€™t change anything it sounds like a CPU / RAM issue of processing the vertices. If it has anything to do with RAM, then closing down other running programs might help some.

Do all selection modes have the same delay?

You mean box, circle, etc selection? Yes, they also have big delay. In case of box/lasso selection the more you select - the bigger delay will be. Paint selection - same problem.
And behave the same way, i.e. it can make selection really-really quick sometimes because of unknown reason.

I was trying to close everything except blender - no changes.

Itā€™s just a simple CPU/software bottleneck then.

But im never see any test where i9 9900k showing better performance versus 3900x.
I sas how friend make a test on discord stream and it was so smooth so im really not sure what this is a case of CPU issue. I guess problem are somewhere in my Windows.

You should maybe test on Blender 2.79, 2.81 also. You would have to test on same .blend file to be accurate.

Not trying 2.81, but try 2.82, and yes i test it on 2.79 - same results. No changes.
Also try to complitely reinstall current 2.91.0, restart PC, install again. No changes. (

1 Like

My Edit Mode is usable up to about ~300K tris.

Itā€™s like @Stan_Pancakes says above, Edit mode performance is a big issue in Blender. Itā€™s been an ongoing issue all throughout dev of 2.8/9x
They have been working on improving it just to get it to 2.7x levels. :frowning:

Itā€™s in the design, the way every single component of a mesh is calculated over and over, regardless of whether it affects an action or not. Devs have gained a few fps over the last 2 years, but itā€™s still a glaring issue.

Of all the things potential Max/Maya shipjumpers raise, the primary concern is ALWAYS edit mode/animation viewport performance.

Iā€™m testing here on 1 million vert mesh, on a 10875 8 core and I get a selection lag and a significant frame drop on translations. Removing the 1 million vert group(colour info from Zbrush) doesnā€™t affect perf.

2 Likes

Removing the 1 million vert group(colour info from Zbrush) doesnā€™t affect perf.

And thats wierd. I mean, it change performance a lot on my side. So it looks like specific problem/bug on my side.
Thats also wierd what sometimes performance can be extrimely higher. I was try not single selection, but box selection. And sometimes i can just alt-tab from browser and instantly selec almost a half of the mesh. No lags at all. Fast as possible. Andā€¦ what super-super wierd.

Yes sorry I made a presupmtion
I have checked some benchmarks on the web and there is not that much difference the 3900x is faster in some tests but not in others in general gaming is faster with the 9900 here is a quote from one page:

Benchmarks illustrate that the overclocked 3900X leads by a whopping 41% for 64-core processing but that the 9900K maintains a 10% lead for gaming, desktop and other sub octa-core tasks.

hey guys there is little hack i discovered when doing subdiv modelling in blenderā€¦if you have several models with subdiv modifier enabled, disable the modifier even if you are not working on that objectā€¦ but not also if you dont want to disable every object with subdiv modifier there other hack, place the object in another collection and click the eye button of the collection in the outliner and you get some speed up working in a low poly (aka cage) object

1 Like

Very frustrating alright, especially if your experiences are inconsistent/random seeming. I was using box selection too. Selection lag(and tab into edit mode) Iā€™m getting isnā€™t TOO bad, but the translation framedrop is unusable.

Also this doesnt work all the time because for some reason blender keeps that vertex data in the viewport ON even if you click the eye button whether is the object or the collecion or something like that (i think its BVH or some other technical thing but i dont know its name) , but if you instead click the viewport button in the object (but in the collections the checkbox button) its gonna speed up in low poly/cage modelsā€¦
i am using a i5 9400,32 ram, and gtx 1070, win 10. The viewport is very smooth even when going to edit mode, i just tested a 1.500 million verts sphere, and is still smooth navigation as object mode and yeah sadly its still slow to extrude,move,slide, rotate a big selection of vertices even with my setup, but at least is not as slow as it was before using a laptop without gpu that was even worse using blender (i hate that blender speed also depends in the opengl drivers)

Performance and stability are more and more issue for me. Developers must stop, relax, take a deep breath and think. In his current state Blender is very powerful 3D package, even if they do not add nothing new couple years. I still sometime use C4D R19 ( current version is R23 ), many people still use Softimage although develop stopped couple years ago.
I add cylinder to the scene, but Blender is to lagy, slider is frozen, so I must type manually number of sides, in shader editor every change in nodes take forever to update, etc. etc. Strange bugs ( or whatever ), so I must restart Blenderā€¦ crashes. Well I can save every couple min. but this is not smooth, fluid, efficient workflow, right? Also Blender is very resource hungry. Couple days ago I make fur for some creature. To many crashes, I couple times lose groom which I make. On the end I make some simple WE!@#RTY! Blender simply canā€™t handle decent number of hair strands. On opposite side, C4D without problem handle BIG number, although Maxon do not update hair engine about 10 years, and hair system is still single core process, I think. There is much more issues, every day discover something new :no_mouth:
Meantime Blender are focused on node modelling, Houdini gimmicks, etc. etc. etc.
Well, this stuff are nice, BUT in EVEYDAY work are not significant. So what is developer goal? To please Twatter-Fakebook-Instagram kiddies which anyway do not use Blender seriously or to make stable, efficient software for Professional usage. Blender have big chance to become serious player, but this is type of chance which you do not get twice. Remember Modo and all hype behind him? Where is Modo now? Blender is now tool of choice for concept artist, and he will remain this in future. But what is with rest of ā€œindustryā€? Here and there I read that people try Blender and crawl back to Max, Mayaā€¦ this remind me on Modo, I read exactly same stuff couple years ago. He, heā€¦ I also read reaction of Modo fan when someone critique Modo, so before attack me, be aware that this is nothing new :unamused: Also term PICNIC work in both direction, just say.

Sculpting, Grease Pencil are Blender strong point, behind this features are talented dedicated team. Modelling toolset are decent, just need some polish-optimization, tools like PolyQuilt can be improved and be part of program.
Blender have BIG number of developers, everyone can contribute, but resources are not limitless.
Developers wish to cover too many stuff at once immediately. Now they are under pressure of Crapple users to implement Metalā€¦ like yesterday :roll_eyes: To many stuff for developers.

3 Likes