Blender FBX Export Strange Scaling/ Bone Hierarchy Issues

Hi all,

So I’ve been wracking my brain for the last two days over this. I’m using Blender 2.8

I’ve built a biped Squash and stretch rig in Blender. I have a deform skeleton constrained to a control rig and all works beautifully.
Here’s my Blender Rig:

All of my animations worked perfectly with squash and stretch when imported to UE4.

But after discussing with the team we realized this bone structure isn’t really ideal for our game. More specifically IK limbs wont work in Unreal without adequate bone chains for arms and legs. And also retargeting any animations we may get from the Market Place will be impossible to retarget and slows down our ability to prototype having to wait on our custom anims.

So I decided to try and restructure my deformation skeleton to match the UE mannequin skeleton and I did so successfully in Blender. It didn’t hurt any of my animations and everything still worked.

But when I reexported all of the animations with the new skeletal structure everything went nuts when I brought them into UE4.

So to pin point where the issue might be I tried importing the FBX back into Blender and BOOM. Had the same issue. So For some reason when I change the def bone hierarchy the animations still work in Blender but Blender cant seem to export them correctly.

Here’s what it looks like.

If anyone has any ideas I would be eternally grateful.

Best,
Andrew