blender, fedora & nvidia

I’ve a pc with a riva tnt2 card here, I’ve installed on it fedora core 2, plus all the updates, plus blender 2.34 dynamic. Using the standard nv drivers, background images in the viewports are not displayed and opengl acceleration is disabled.

I installed the latest nvidia binary drivers and modified xorg.conf as per instructions. No errors in Xorg.0.log and opengl acceleration enabled. However on the blender side things went even worse. i still coulnd’t see background images, and moreover the cursor disappeared most of the time and there were a lot of redraw problems…

I did a lot of searches both on this site and on google, but all i could find was a tip on hw_cursor, which i enabled but which didn’t solve the problem… there’s anyone who can help me?

thanks in advance

open a command and type ‘glxinfo’. or ‘glxinfo | grep rendering’.

oke well if ‘glxinfo | grep rendering’ says
“direct rendering: no” you certainly need other gfx drivers… this would mean your driver does not allow direct memory access for agp.

if it says “direct rendering: yes” plz post the hole output

as i already said with the standard ‘nv’ drivers acceleration was disabled, with nvidia drivers it was enabled:

[[email protected] shiva]$ glxinfo | grep rendering
direct rendering: Yes

anyway, playing a bit with the nvidia options the mouse cursor seems to no longer disappear, but i still have the screen corruption problems.

it sems that the drivers you can download at nVidia have an issiue with the 2.6 kernel
there are some nVidia.run drivers with a patch for the 2.6 kernel on the net somewhere…
cant find the bookmark right now…do a google search

as soon as I find the link I have… :wink:

my radeon driver had problems with 2.6.7 too. so this maybe it… anyways you may try to compile blender yourself.

i wasn’t aware of this issue so i did some research. from what i found however it seems that the latest version of nvidia drivers should work with the 2.6 kernel. But i also found that there are some kernel options which confict with the nvidia drivers, so i’m now recompilig the kernel without these options.

here you can get the patch:
minion.de
http://minion.de/files/NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-4496-pkg%23.tar.gz

http://minion.de/files/NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-4496-2.6.diff

check at minion if these patches are the latest (dunno)

no more need to patch drivers
no more need change 4k stack in kernel
btw latest nvidia are 1.0.6111

so what else can it be my problem?

btw latest nvidia are 1.0.6111

that’s the version i’m using

I had a similar problem in the past and it had to do something with the mouse cursor…

I’m not 100% sure but I suppose it will not harm if you try this:

Open .Xresources in vi (create the file if it doesn’t exist)…

vi .Xresources

Then add the following line:

Xcursor.core: 1

Save it and then logout and relogin…

Fire up Blender and check if this solved the problem. ( :expressionless: )

I really hope that this, will help you :expressionless:

that fixed all the graphics problems! thank you very much.

however i can’t still see the background pictures… :-? can’t guess why…

I’m glad that it worked o.k. for you… :smiley:

however i can’t still see the background pictures… :-? can’t guess why…

That’s weird!!! Normally you should be able to see the background picture, no matter what…

Note that I also have Fedora core 2 and I do not face such a problem…

Are you sure, you’re not just doing something wrong???

I may need some more info on what you’re doing there so I can be able to help you with that (like what type of image you’re using, the exact steps you’re taking to load the pic etc.)…

Cheers…

eh… i’m currently working on two projects. i’ve edited both of them on windows xp and mac osx without problems. under linux i don’t see the background pictures…

i even supposed it was because of the gfx card (an nvidia tnt2 pro) but on that machine i’ve both linux and win xp and when i boot xp i can see the background pictures…

Are you sure, you’re not just doing something wrong???

that’s very likely, but i can’t guess what…

I may need some more info on what you’re doing there so I can be able to help you with that (like what type of image you’re using, the exact steps you’re taking to load the pic etc.)…

the images are all gif. i’m selecting view -> background image and then enable “use background image” and select the image to display

thanks for your help

AFAIK .gif are unsupported…
That’s the reason for that problem of yours…

Try to convert your images to jpeg or png or tga (tga’s are also very good and they can “handle” alpha channel as well…) with GIMP and it will work o.k… :wink:

Cheers :smiley:

that was the problem :slight_smile: i could see gifs on both windows and osx, so i never thought they could not be used under linux… i’m converting them to png :wink:

thanks for the help