Blender Files and Opening File Browser

Hi
Two questions. Version 2.8

1. Is there a quick way to open the File Browser without having to save or open a new file first?

2. Blender seems to save a backup file of each project and both files are stored in the same folder.
    One file is .blend
    the other file is .blend1

…but they have different icons and only the file with the blender icon seems to open.
Could someone please explain this?
I looked in the manual and some posts here, but still not sure what it’s about.
Thanks.

blend files

Hi,

…quick way to open the File Browser without having to save or open a new file first?

This is normal. . . when you use the “Open” menu it is to create a new scene, so before doing anything Blender asks you if you want to save your work …

Not to be confused with the fact of wanting to “add” a new object in the current scene.
To do this, use the File> Append menu.
You can also add an object from another format (FBX, OBJ, …) using the File> Import menu

For your second question, I think the documentation is quite explicit:
Save & Load

Blockquote For your second question, I think the documentation is quite explicit:
Save & Load

Thanks for the reply, I understand what they are.
I’ve set my backup to 1 level.

I tried to drag n drop a .blend1 file into the viewport but that didn’t work, however, the most recent .blend file (with Blender icon) would work by drag n drop.
So I wondered what the point of the BU file was.
And when I opened the File Browser the backup files were not visible…
…then I spotted the filter in the top right of FB to show backup files also :laughing:
If needed, you can load an older version via the File Browser

Error… Wrong answer to your question …

To use a back-up file, rename it and change the extension to .blend.

1 Like

Files this away for later use :+1:t4: