Blender flash drive portability

Hay everyone!

I am trying to run blender on a flash drive (mostly on linux) because I don’t have a permanent computer right now. I keep running into problems with computers not having libraries (libtiff and libjpeg most notably) and I was wondering if their was a way to statically link them into my blender build or supply them in a folder on my jump drive (I doubt the admins would be please with me installing stuff on lab computers). Maybe I wont have to worry about this when 2.54 comes out in a few days, but i thought I’d ask.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Statically compiling is one of several options.

You could try to copy all of the dynamic libraries to the flash drive and a shell script to set LD_LIBRARY_PATH and launch blender. Run the ldd command on the blender executable to get a list of all of the dynamic dependencies.

If your home directory is loaded from a network share you can install almost anything there and have access to it from any computer. Granted, some things require root priviledges, but It is possible for an unprivileged user to install and run a complete desktop environment like KDE or GNOME, so blender won’t be too difficult.

Thanks for you replay.

I tried writing a script but it still said I didn’t have the libraries when I set LD_LIBRARY_PATH. I put a folder in my blender directory and tried to reference that with the $(pwd)/lib. The resulting script was this:

#!/bin/bash

echo “Changing Library Directories”

#Setting it to look in jump-drive’s library, or in computer’s library
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=’$(pwd)/lib:/usr/lib:/usr/lib64’

echo “LD_LIBRARY_PATH now set to $LD_LIBRARY_PATH”

./blender

Any suggestions?

Try changing

LD_LIBRARY_PATH=‘$(pwd)/lib:/usr/lib:/usr/lib64’

TO

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=.:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH

NOTE: $(pdw) adds the current working directory (when the script is executed) to the path, “.” tells the system to search the current working directory when you execute a program. They are interchangeable here since the working directory doesn’t change.

Thanks for all the help! Now all I need to do is go shopping for all these libraries.

If any one is interested, the script that I’m using is:

#!/bin/bash

echo “Changing Library Directories”

#Setting it to look in local library, or on computer’s library
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=./lib:/usr/lib:/usr/lib64

echo “LD_LIBRARY_PATH now set to $LD_LIBRARY_PATH”

./blender