Blender for Kids.

I’m relatively new to Blender, but I already have the basic grasp of it and I’ve been playing around with some basic modelling(I’m also new to polygonal modelling and subsurf, et al, being a more NURBS oriented man myself). Thing is, whatever the reason, my little brother who is 9 and a half, has gotten quite interested in Blender and has been asking me to teach him, which I finally got around to doing today. I was explaining basic stuff to him for about half an hour, and only then I realized really how complicated it can be to explain 3d modelling to someone who doesn’t even know what a Cartesian Coordinate System is. Well, thing is, I figure I’m not the first person who has tried to teach 3d modelling to a little kid, since, as my brother himself said, “this program can help you develop your imagination, don’t you think?”. So, it doesn’t hurts to ask: does anyone know any blender or general 3d modelling resources aimed at little kids? Like really simple tutorials and stuff? or guides for grown people to teach them? Or has anyone had a similar experience? And a last thing, if it isn’t too much to ask, anyone knows about anything of this sort, IN SPANISH???(If it is in enligh, I’d had to translate to him. And any other language are, for the moment, beyond my comprehension.)

thanks a lot.

blender to me has a very confusing interface, but im getting there in getting better. I start cg with a very simple, but effective program called anim8or. It has the same modeling capabulities as blender, but not the same with the renderer, and it doesnt have ramps, textures, or all those fancy things.

www.anim8or.com

check it out. it will be much easier to model for a kid becuz the interface has buttons on the side showing what the command is doing (my main confusion of blender is not knowing shortcuts).

edit: about the english to spanish, i don’t think that there is a spanish version, but once again the interface uses buttons, so there arnt much words.

Here’s a link to Blender forums in different languages. (It looks like they have some spanish tutorials, but I’m not a member, so it won’t let me access that part of the sites. :-? )

http://www.blender3d.org/cms/Websites.7.0.html#473

Hope this helps.

DwarvenFury

I know animator man, and to be honest, it has a horrible interface. Hard, slow, confusing. Really, coming from architectural packages such as autocad or MicroStation, I know what you’re experiencing with Blender’s interface. But once you get to know it, you won’t know how you could live without it.

(Ok, I’m no expert in anim8or, but I recall having a really hard time getting it to work. It is not the sort of program to keep a small kid entertained)

I know animator man, and to be honest, it has a horrible interface. Hard, slow, confusing. Really, coming from architectural packages such as autocad or MicroStation, I know what you’re experiencing with Blender’s interface. But once you get to know it, you won’t know how you could live without it.

(Ok, I’m no expert in anim8or, but I recall having a really hard time getting it to work. It is not the sort of program to keep a small kid entertained)

confusing interface?
select button=select
grab button=grab
extrude button=extrude.

the interface is simple, theres only 20 or so buttons, which to memorize what each button does and look like and what they do should be too hard for a little kid. 20 buttons is nothing compared to the complexity of blender, which involves memorizing most of the shortcuts to master.

Look in the first link in my sig for a file called “Basic Training” in English and Spanish.

%<

I found it confusing because it involved a constant going back and forth to the menu and switching through a lot of different “modes”. It wasn’t fluid. It wasn’t confusing as in “hard to understand”, more like, the way you had to go around it, all the steps you had to take, I often found myself having to stop and really think what I was doing, instead of just “flowing” like I do with blender. But really, like I said before, I’m no expert in anim8r, it may just be a wrong first impression. Maybe I’ll give it a try.

I having a similar time with my 10 year old. He see’s what I’m doing with Blender and itches to have a turn. A couple of months ago, while I was messing with my first animation, I started explaining a few things to him and he retained a fair bit of it.

Then I let him mess with the same model I was using (Generi, translated from Maya to Blender) and after a couple of hours he’d created an interesting animation with this guy acting like a bit of a dude and taking a bow. It won’t be at this year’s Oscars or anything but for a first attempt I was impressed. I just let him have his way and answered questions as they arose. This way he learns what he needs to, as he needs to. In fact, he learns a hell of a lot just looking over my shoulder.

Kids are so attuned to gadgets and computers these days that I really think the interface will be the least of his problems. Everything from Mac to Windows to Nintendo to PS2 to iPod to the DVD player, VCR and mobile phone have different interfaces and kids generally seem to cope with them bette rthan their parents. It will be the technical side of modelling and animating that will be the real test.

I’m 14 years and learned Blender in maybe a week or two. I have looked at anim8or and other 3D programs before blender and I thought they were very confusing with all there image buttons and stuff. Then I found Blender and thought it was really easy to learn.

I don’t think you need to dumb it down for him. I’ve been using Blender since I was 10 and I learned from the same tutorials everybody else did.

well, he’s 9 and in between 3rd and 4th grade. For older people it might not make a lot of difference, but for someone that age, when he is 10 and a 5th grader he will be very much different from now.