Blender Foundations Pg. 88 "Manipulting Object Centers Only"

Hello Everyone,

This is my first post on Blender Artist, so please forgive me I am a bit out of touch. I am just beginning my Blender Journey, and am working my way through Roland Hess’s Blender Foundations book.

On page 88, he talk about scaling the bottom of some chair legs out, but doing it in a manner that only increases the leg separation, but does not increase the actual size of the legs. He refers to a button called “Manipulate Object Centers Only”, and specifically says that it works in both Object AND Edit modes.

I found a button located were he said it was, but the button is called “Manipulate center Points”, and says flat out that it only works in Object and Pose modes.

After doing a web search, I have found numerous post of forums by people asking the exact same question, and no one seems to have an answer as to how Mr. Hess actually accomplished the task.

Does anyone have any experience with Mr. Hess’s work, and can tell me how he really did what he is asking people to do in the book. I can only assume things worked different in the 2.6 version he was using for the book.

Thank you very much for any help you can offer.
Davin