Blender Game Engine frequent crash

I hope this is the right place to post this thread*

Ok, I have an HP pavillion p6110t.
Pentium Dual Core CPU E5200 @ 2.5 GHz
4 GB RAM
320 GB Hard drive
64 bit operating system
Windows Vista Home premium (64-bit)

Graphics: Intel G33/G31 Express Chipset Family (Integrated GMA)
It is updated. Does not support GLSL shading, nor does it support OpenGL which I suspect is the problem.

Depending on the game project, when I start up the Game Engine, it either crashes Blender immediately or goes about 1 minute then crashes (this is with a controllable object such as a player cube that moves by force/rot)

I have python 2.6 installed for the 64 bit system along with Blender 2.49 64bit archive.

For example…
warwickallison’s Portal demo for the Game Engine crashed right when I pressed P.
I changed the graphic settings in the Game tab, from GLSL which it was set to at first, to Blender Multi-texture materials, and also Texture face materials.

I just need to check if there are any possible solutions before making an investment in a new graphics card (which I should really do anyways).

Let me know if I left anything out that might make a difference.

If you are even slightly serious about making games (even if you just want to do it as a hobby) you need a real graphics card. Intel cards are notorious for their awful 3D acceleration… they’re both slow AND buggy. These cards are extremely cheap and are thrown in most pre-built PCs because of their cost.

However, if Wikipedia is to be trusted, it does support OpenGL (though obviously not very well). I also have used Intel graphics on Blender without problems (other than horrible performance).

If you are absolutely opposed to spending $50 on a relatively new graphics card, then I’d try:

Using a 32-bit version of Blender. My 64-bit Vista experience was short lived because of crashes, instability, and weird bugs. 32 bit will run just as well.

Looking around on Intel’s site and try out some of their beta drivers. Some people have had success with them.

I hope that helps… I’d very much recommend getting a new card.

-Sam

For an intel integrated graphics chip, I believe their latest driver was made in 2005 - don’t install it.

My old intel integrated graphics chip used a driver from 2003. The 2003 driver might be old, but I have never had any problems with it (other than low performance). The 2003 driver also runs 2X faster than the 2005 driver.

But then again, it also depends on your chipset family. I would strongly recommend trying several different drivers or (if all else fails) buy a graphics card.

Does not support GLSL shading, nor does it support OpenGL which I suspect is the problem.

By the way, all intel integrated graphic chips support OpenGL. However, they do not support GLSL.

Thanks Sam, I’m looking into a new graphics card with GLSL support. Probably nVidia. Also, I’m switching to Blender 32bit because yafray doesn’t work with 64x. Hopefully the game engine will run slightly better in Blender 32x. Thanks again for the recommendations and help.

To be precise, I’m going to buy a BFG - NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS 512MB DDR2 PCI Express Graphics Card in a few days. It’s about 60$ and supports GLSL. I’ll be back at the Blender Game Engine in no time! :smiley:

Alright an update on the current situation. I finally got an NVIDIA GeForce 8400 so I’m back to Blender work. It’s PCI Express x16 512 MB. Very nice and things are running much faster.:smiley: