Sorry it’s taken me a while to getting round to sorting this, but I think it’s time for another BGMC.
What’s the BGMC?
(Taken from Smoking_Mirror’s post)
The Blender Game Making Contest is a chance for people to make a Blender game in a week, it’s a good opportunity to try out game ideas which you’ve been thinking about but didn’t have the motivation to try. It’s great for learning new things, and a really great chance to field a finished game (for some people, BGMC is the first time they’ve ever finished a game!). You get to experience player feedback, bug fixing, developing a game to a schedule and many other skills which are essential for a game developer.
Since Smoking_Mirror’s voting on the theme worked so well I thought I’d copy it:
So here’s the themes:
- Point and click - with all the FPS and 3rd person games I thought it’d be nice to see some exploration/strategy games
- Stealth - master the shadows, sneak past guards, navigate behind enemy lines, hide in boxes. The aim is to remain unseen.
- Whodunnit/Mystery - engage the player to figure out who done whatever ‘it’ is. What ‘it’ is is completely up to you.
- something unexpected! - the aim of this theme is to do something the player wouldn’t expect, some massive twist or change that you don’t see coming. This could be a plot twist or an unexpected shift in gameplay, or doing something complete outlandish within the game
- Alan Partridge/comedy - because I’ve always thought an Alan themed game would be a laugh. But any game built around comedic elements is perfectly fine.
The contest will run for 9 days. You can use 7 of these for working on your game and the extra 2 can be used for planning, days off or bug fixing.
The proposed dates so far are:
- Saturday the 23rd of May through to sunday the 31st
- Saturday the 6th of June to Sunday the 14th
If you have any other date suggestions discuss them below
I’m broke at present, but I’ll see what I can rustle up. Maybe an Amazon voucher or something. If anyone would like to contribute towards the prizes drop me a PM.
- Unless there are many objections I was thinking of restricting it to the latest version of Blender (2.74) since last time each entry used a different version, so as many people as possible are able to play the game. Also, this means we can thoroughly test out the latest version.
- There’s no graphics restrictions, but bare in mind that to get votes others have to be able to play your game.
- Following on from the last BGMC, each contestant will have 100 points to allocate between each of the entries. You can’t vote for your own game. Those that didn’t enter, but still took the time to play all the games and give feedback have 50 points to allocate. The winner is the person with the most points.
- In the event of a tie it will go to a community vote.
Once a theme and date are decided I’ll post up an announcement confirming everything.